Pick up a UTIMES today!!!

someone let that crystal girl out of her cell again.

I really dont like that Crystal chick!

I scolded her pretty soundly. 10% of any campus is gonna hate sports (treehuggers and pseudointellectual types). She probably wears airJesusā€™ and lives in a tree somewhere, hasnā€™t shaved her armpits in a few months.

[QUOTE=ShannonClaire;228328]Was this reply sent to Judy and Phil?[/QUOTE]

No, but I have a feeling they might see itā€¦

haha, thanks. After we snuck on campus and decorated the Mountaineer, I actually got an App State student to take the picture for me (what an idiot).

Awesome. Poster of the week award goes to ShannonClaire (with apologies to UNCCShannon).

In the last vote didnā€™t only 2% of the student body cast a ballot? That means benny got at least 1.1% of the student populations support. If you look at the results of the football poll (all due to CFI) isnā€™t it clear that Jimmyhat49er is the real president?

http://www.nineronline.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticleComments&ustory_id=b263995d-8a42-453a-8138-4a512f724378

Wow 20 responses so far, that has to be some sort of record.

I donā€™t think this is the legacy Ben envisionedā€¦

That Crystal chick needs to be eliminatedā€¦ Bear, take her on a walk in the woodsā€¦

Was this reply sent to Judy and Phil? [IMG]http://photos-150.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v66/210/75/36600782/n36600782_32027150_4079.jpg[/IMG]

That looks like my hat! and that looks like my flag!!! :49ers:

Please post the ā€œmodifiedā€ version of bennyā€™s radio ā€œinterviewā€.

Please post the [B]"modified"[/B] version of benny's radio "interview".

MODIFIED!

Iā€™ll have you know that every quote was accurate. Every ridiculous UNC-loving statement by Dubois, insult by Collins, and stammer by Comstock was word-for-word and I even included the audio times so people could listen for themselves. Just because I included my own commentary doesnā€™t make it modified. :smile:

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showpost.php?p=211852&postcount=9

[QUOTE=survivor45;228413]MODIFIED!

Iā€™ll have you know that every quote was accurate. Every ridiculous UNC-loving statement by Dubois, insult by Collins, and stammer by Comstock was word-for-word and I even included the audio times so people could listen for themselves. Just because I included my own commentary doesnā€™t make it modified. :smile:

[URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showpost.php?p=211852&postcount=9]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showpost.php?p=211852&postcount=9[/URL][/QUOTE]
It deserved to be reposted in itā€™s entirety:

[QUOTE][B]Brilliantly Posted by Survivor45[/B]

Radio Interview Diary

1:21 - I feel like Iā€™m in a grocery store with their selection of music. Helluva introduction by Mike Collins - it sounds like heā€™s really done his homework on the history/accomplishments of the university

1:23 - Phil Dubois (UNC-DP), Ben Comstock, and Mac Everett are in the studio with Mike Collins. Apparently, the fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse had other plans.

2:53 - Mike Collins just gave Ben Comstock an amazing introduction where he listed numerous awards that were bestowed upon him and he made the little creep sound like someone who really had a great grasp on the current state of the institution. After listing all the awards, Mike Collins casually asked, ā€œWhat is the USA Today All-Academic team?ā€ - an award Ben Comstock received. This question was just too much for poor Ben. ā€œIt isā€¦ Aā€¦ Uhhhā€¦ Recā€¦itā€™s in recognition of outstandingā€¦uhmā€¦schollegiate (Yes, he said ā€˜Schollegiateā€™!) athleā€¦uhmā€¦collegiate ath.ā€ This question is posing quite a challenge for Ben. "Students whoā€¦uhmā€¦display not only great academics but also haveā€¦uhmā€¦something that theyā€™ve really contributed to theirā€¦uhā€¦universities and their students. Mike Collins congratulated Ben and made a mental note to keep the kid away from sharp objects.

3:59 - Mike jumps into a discussion on some early history of the school in the post-World War II era. UNC-DP speaks for the first time: ā€œIt was actually, Mike, an outgrowth of Chapel Hill.ā€

4:57 - Mac Everett finally speaks. A good question by Mike Collins regarding whether or not it was overdue for a city like Charlotte in a state like North Carolina to have its own college. Of the three, Everett seems to be the least uncomfortable on the air. UNC-DP interrupts and mentions how common it was for a major city not to have a its own university. Really? Off the top of my head, I canā€™t think of many urban centers that waited as long as Charlotte for its own public university. ā€œMetropolitan universities are really a post-war phenomenon,ā€ added Dubois.

8:48 - Mike Collins starts up a terrific conversation about Bonnie Cone which loosens up the mood a bit, especially with Mac Everett. ā€œā€¦it was never about her, it was always about what was best for the university. She was always about ā€˜Letā€™s move this university forwardā€™ but she never wanted any credit for doing that.ā€ Mike Collins asks, ā€œWhy was it that she was able to see what the school could be if given a chance and given the right funding and the right push, when others, perhaps, kind of lay back and are satisfied with what it was?ā€ Mike Collins is the man. He knows heā€™s in a room full of weenies and heā€™s going to make 'em squirm.

12:45 - The interview is going pretty well, but now Mike is getting cocky. Heā€™s going to try to let Ben Comstock speak into the microphone for a 2nd time.

Mike: "What attracted you to this school on this campus as opposed to, God forbid I say it out loud, Chapel Hill?"
Ben: ā€œAh, well. I guess when it comes to Chapel Hill they only accept about 3% out-of-state so that probably was part of it.ā€

Way to embarrass the school, Mr. Student Body President! Goddamn it, you canā€™t make this stuff up. Will someone please give Mr. Comstock a baby-blue tinted diploma and send him on his merry way?

13:43 - HAHAHAHAHA!!! I HAVE A NEW HERO AND HIS NAME IS MIKE COLLINS! Please, everyone, click on the link and listen to Mike Collins make Ben Comstock look like a complete tool. Just fast forward to the 13:43 mark They are discussing Comstockā€™s decision to choose Charlotte:

Mike: "After 4 years, it wasnā€™t a mistakeā€¦"
Ben: "No. Absolutely not.
Mike: "It was a good idea"
Ben: "Best decision of my life. Bar none."
Mike: ā€œThat was a big word. Thatā€™s goodā€

Text does not do this justice. Mike Collins is clearly and openly mocking the idiocity that is Ben Comstock. He used ā€œbarā€ in a sentence without slinging his own poo across the room and Mike is simply amazed. Classic. Youā€™ve got to hear the audio.

16:25 - After a long commercial break, I think it occured to Mike Collins that this Ben Comstock kid is pure comedy gold. Heā€™s going to play the straight man and let Comstock be the entertainment. Itā€™s like when ā€˜shock jocksā€™ bring in retarded people with Tourettes for giggles.

Mike: When I went to the University of Maryland, back in the dark ages, the student governmentā€¦it was radical! It was the time of the Vietnam War and other things were going on and there were protests and demonstrations and the student government guy kept getting himself arrested. ā€¦ What is the big issue in student government today at UNC Charlotte?
(Pause. Let me just say that it is VERY obvious to the direction Mr. Collins is steering the interview by the way he asked the question)
Ben: I probably can actually point out one specific big issue.
(THIS IS IT! THIS IS WHAT MIKE COLLINS IS WAITING FOR! Finally, after nearly 20 minutes of inane chit-chat, heā€™s going to get the juicy debate he wants.

Student Body President versus the Chancellor.
Youthful School Spirit vs. Stuffed-shirt Bureaucracy.
PRO-FOOTBALL VS. ANTI-FOOTBALL

Mike Collins is ready to give the students and alumni a voice on his radio show. That voice is Ben Comstock. And that voice will be heard.)

Ben: This past semester we really lobbied hard for getting credit card infrastructure on our campus.
(WHAT?!?!)
Ben: ā€¦another thing is developing UNC Charlotteā€™s first honor codeā€¦
(Waitā€¦Iā€™m still on ā€˜credit card infrastructureā€™. Are you f****** kidding me? How about the name change - can you at least mention that?)
Ben: ā€¦providing some readily available tax formsā€¦
(HEā€™S KILLINā€™ ME!! HEā€™S F****** KILLINā€™ ME!! Tax Forms? This is the big issue among students you ass-sucking barnicle? Man, heā€™s sweating. Heā€™s trying so hard to justify his existence beyond a capacity of Duboisā€™ SGA rubber stamp and heā€™s failing miserably.)
Ben: ā€¦lowering some on-campus convenience store pricesā€¦
(sigh)
Ben: Iā€™m sorry. I really probably couldnā€™t point out just one.

17:58 - Poor Mike Collins is trying so hard to coax the Student Body President but it isnā€™t working. Heā€™s asking about issues among rank-and-file students and whether they are actively involved in giving the SGA input. Ben: ā€œYeah, we have comment boxes located around our campus!ā€ Mike Collins does not want to drop the F-Bomb, but at the same time he is so ready to smack Ben upside the head with an ā€˜obviousā€™ brick. Ben thinks the big issue is convincing students that the SGA is actively helping them. ā€œLike always, people are really into seeing quick answers to hard problems.ā€ That sounded like a swipe at the football movement.

18:52 - Mike Collins wants to know if students feel a connection with the university. Ben Comstock feel that they do because ā€œwe just recently in the past 2 years have adopted the name ā€˜Niner Nationā€™ ā€¦ That name I think has really spearheaded that desire to be a part of UNC Charlotteā€. A name change did that? Wait, isnā€™t that a quick fix for a hard problem?

20:08 - Mike Collins is STILL trying to get something out of these people. ā€œI ask that question because one of the keys to any organizationā€™s success I guess is developing a sense of identityā€¦ā€ UNC-DP interrupts and talks about how young the school is and how the school is NOT a commuter school. Mike Collins says that he thought we were a commuter school (I love this guy!). UNC-DP thinks we need weekend activities and more entertainment to change the perception. ā€œIt only takes money,ā€ said UNC-DP. He wants ā€œa full agenda of itemsā€. He is quick to mention that the city of Charlotte competes with the university for ā€œentertainment dollarsā€ with professional and amateur athletics.

22:12 - Mike Collins briefly mentions how heā€™s been hearing more about UNC-Penbroke lately.

22:29 - Ben Comstock shocks the world by agreeing with everything the chancellor said. He said that students have false perceptions of what the university is and it is his job as Student Body President to educate them on the type of school we really have. Ben believes that students have to recognize that weā€™re not a college town.

23:20 - Ben Comstock: ā€œā€¦We donā€™t have that college-strong identity with regard to feeling like your a true Charlotte 49er and can stay here seven days out of the weekā€

23:40 - ā€˜Johnā€™ calls in to the show like a knight in shining armor since Iā€™m really getting depressed listening to our leaders. He mentions how there are roughly 70,000 people in the area who have a close attachment to the university and yet he can rarely find merchandise in stores. UNC-DP sites lack of demand for our merchandise, especially athletic apparal.

25:32 - Mike Collins drops the F-Bomb! ā€œIs this school spirit, this identity within and (outside) the university, is this why universities have football teams?ā€ UNC-DP thinks that some universities can be just as excited about their basketball programs. He think it varies based on history and regional culture. Collins keeps pressing the issue and UNC-DP admits a future ā€œconversationā€ with the Board of Trustees.

26:53 - Mac Everett speaks up after a long silence. He thinks the identity of the school should be something that can cause students, faculty, and alumni to come together and he praises UNC-DPā€™s ability as a uniter and not a divider. The example he uses is Ben Comstock as a voting member on the Board of Trustees. The audio of Everett talking about the value of Ben Comstockā€™s input is an instant classic as Mike Collins is clearly stunned. Someone that Mike Collins would not even trust to pump his gas is a highly respected voting member of the Board of Trustees. Ben Comstock says he has to make sacrifices socially to play such an important role. MIKE COLLINS ZINGER ALERT - 27:36 - Ben: Youā€™ve got to make sacrifices, socially. I mean, thankfully I have understanding friends. Mike: Thankfully you have friends.

27:47 - Mike Collins brings up identity confusion with UNCCH. UNC-DP reluctantly admits that Judy Roseā€™s branding of ā€˜Charlotteā€™ for athletics ā€œprobably did helpā€.

UNC-DP: "And Iā€™ve heard the arguments about ā€˜Well, letā€™s just change the name of the schoolā€™. I donā€™t think the confusion over the accomplishments of our faculty and staff are linked to the name. I think thatā€™s just something that takes time, takes institutional marketing. It would be a huge distraction in the North Carolina system for that to occur.
Mike: "To have a new name?"
UNC-DP: "Well, just to appear to break off from the system, so to speak. We have a difficult time now making a case for the funding of UNC Charlotte within that system and in part because of the political view of ā€œThe Great State of Mecklenburgā€.
Mike: "I was just going to get to that!"
UNC-DP: ā€œWe donā€™t need a further separation. We need a closer realization that weā€™re part of the system. The system matters. It has equity for our faculty across the country and so Iā€™ve stressed with people 'Letā€™s not get distracted by debates over names. Letā€™s focus on what we actually accomplish and the reputation will follow.ā€

29:29 - Mike Collins says he read about funding from the state and believes Charlotte is ā€œwoefullyā€ behind other schools in the system, particularly Chapel Hill (I LOVE this guy!) Mike says he thinks the amount Chapel Hill receives from the state is ā€œoutrageously highā€. Mac Everett says he believes that Chapel Hill and NC State deserve and need the money they get and they might even deserve more! He thinks the big challege for Charlotte is student population growth. Echoed by UNC-DP. Our leaders talk about how they can use the added student population to negotiate a fairer deal for the university. Mike Collins and everyone listening to the radio are convinced that these jokers have the negotiation abilities of a frightened chihuahua.

37:00 - Enter ā€˜Allieā€™. Thank God. Iā€™m so ready to hang myself right about now.

37:59 - UNC-DP responds to Allieā€™s comments on the value of the city of Charlotte to the university by complementing himself on pursuing the light rail project.

39:01 - Eerie coincidence. The $50 million uptown campus building will be 400 feet from the light rail station.

39:13 - Despite UNC-DPā€™s efforts to not listen to anything Allie said, Mike Collins catches that she never used ā€˜UNCā€™ when referring to the campus as ā€˜Charlotteā€™.

39:39 - Mike Collins: But Iā€™m going to get back to this ā€˜UNCā€™ and ā€˜Charlotteā€™ thing. Because she didnā€™t say ā€˜UNC Charlotteā€™ she didnā€™t say ā€˜UNC Chapel Hillā€™. She said ā€˜UNCā€™ and ā€˜Charlotteā€™. Is that branding or an identity problem?
UNC-DP: Oh, I donā€™t know.
Mike Collins: Or do you (not) care?
UNC-DP: Yes. It could be. I mean, with the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill has a 200 year head start. Itā€™s a wonderful institution. And we all ought to be proud of it. And frankly, we all ought to be proud to be associated with it. I think sometimes youā€™re judged by the company you keep. And I think thereā€™s something to be said when our faculty come here to interview, they know theyā€™re part of a great university system because it says ā€˜The University of North Carolinaā€™ at the front end and I donā€™t want to give that away too quickly.

Note: At this point, I lost all will and desire to continue to listen to this garbage. This is painful. I need a break. The top quote sums up everything that is wrong. God bless Mike Collins - heā€™s like the Mystery Science Theater guys who try to make an awful, unwatchable horror movie a little less painful. But this is really, really bad. I canā€™t imagine anyone listening to this awful National Public Radio piece and commenting that they think the school is being run by competent people. If someone ever listens to this garbage and thinks highly of our leaders, do them a favor and call 911 and have them committed to a nearby mental health care facility. Beer break time.

40:33 - Mike Collins says he does not want to know if Charlotte can or cannot eclipse Chapel Hill. Instead, he wants to know if Charlotte will be allowed to eclipse Chapel Hill. Nervous responses.

41:30 - Ben Comstock thinks that football discussion is only due to the overwhelming excitement over the growth of the school. Everett discussed that football should be a topic of discussion now. By discussing it now, we will be prepared to start a program for when we become a 35000 student institution in the year 2020. UNC-DP mocks the stupid Southern Conference idea proposed by Tom Sorensen for a variety of reasons. Please. No more hypothetical threads on the Southern Conference

43:15 - ā€œThe context of our study about football is gonna be 'Letā€™s look at the long term picture for all of our athletics and see whether or not football is something that we can afford, make sense, will build school spirit, and also not send us to the poorhouse.ā€

43:52 - UNC-DP says he doesnā€™t pay much attention to Charlotteā€™s rankings on university ratings.

45:48 - ā€˜Randyā€™- Class of '82 checks in and corrects the errors of the broadcast (Hyphens, History, etc.) Free the hyphen!

46:55 - Pathetic. People are kissing up to UNC-DP. Mike Collins points out that the people who are praising UNC-DP also work for him.

48:28 - An e-mail is sent to the show about alumni giving. UNC-DP thinks giving will increase at a respectable level. Ben Comstock believes that alumni giving is going to heavily increase in the coming decades because of the really strong connection current students feel with the university. Everett believes Niles Sorensen will make a difference in fundraising.

50:14 - Mike Collins wants to know how UNC-DP will make the university a better place when he leaves the position of chancellor than when he took over the position. UNC-DP says that he would be very pleased if his tenure is remembered as being 50% as effective as Woodwardā€™s tenure.

51:50 - Mac Everett and Ben Comstock shamelessly suck up to UNC-DP

52:50 - Mike Collins mercifully ends the show, by once again breaking out in laughter at the thought of Ben Comstock as a member of the Board of Trustees.

I think my days as a university donor have officially ended with this interview.[/QUOTE]

MODIFIED!

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showpost.php?p=211852&postcount=9

Of all the threads I have read on hereā€¦ that was one of the most entertaining ones Iā€™ve seen on here. Your commentary and insights were pretty damn good survivor.

Best commentary award 2007

That looks like my hat! and that looks like my flag!!! :49ers:

HAHA it isā€¦ you can thank your sneaky Pakistani roomate for that :wink:

Of all the threads I have read on here... that was one of the most entertaining ones I've seen on here. Your commentary and insights were pretty damn good survivor.

bumped for truth

IMHO, Survivor won poster of the year with that commentary. Not only the best post of 2006, but one of the best since weā€™ve had an online community.

HAHA it is... you can thank your sneaky Pakistani roomate for that :wink:

What a lil theif, How did he break into my room? I always lock my door!

have ben or his people made any response?

have ben or his people made any response?
Knowing Ben, I bet he'll not dignify it with such.

Waitā€¦ he has people?

[QUOTE=49erPress;228483]his people?[/QUOTE]

:lmao: