Pick Your Favorite 49er Shooter

With the Diego bobblehead and Plavich’s shooting at the Cincy game, I was thinking back on the great shooters we have had in recent history. Which one would you pick for your team?

No brainer…Henry of course

ALL of those guys are superheros.

[i]Originally posted by austinniner[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 09:51 PM [b] ALL of those guys are superheros. [/b]
I'd love to watch them all play a few games of Horse. In THAT scenario, I'd go with Plav because of his range. But in terms of "favorite 49er shooter," I am partial to Henry who was flat out phenomonal to watch.

Henry Williams, without question. He was the most complete player of the above listed, could shoot, drive, pass and play defense.

And he could jump higher than any of them too. He had a few nice dunks in his career too.

If Henry plays in the old-timers game before the Southern Miss game, you should come see him play. It is a treat even years later.

To the older Niner fans I am sorry to say I have never seen Henry play. For me it comes down to Demon, Plavich and Diego. I like Plavich due to his range and that game at Syracuse is one I will never forget but Diego is definently a close 2nd. I felt bad for Demon. He was really forced to score something like 30 points a game for us to win.

Henry “The Warrior” is how I always remember him. If my memory serves me correctly on an icy night at Hornets arena against South Florida. Henry stole the ball and went the distance for a dunk. Radinko Dobra trailed Henry and fouled so hard sending Henry to the goal post. Henry had to leave in the first half to get the nasty cut above his eye taking care of. He came back on the second half and had one of his high scoring game against the Golden Bulls.

“En Fuego” Diego and his famous half court sending us to OT with UNC-Chapel Hill. Also, the same half court shot at half time that Davidson still remember. Not just among us Niners faithful, Diego was also a celebrity in Cincinnati. Evevery Bearcats fan favorite shooter I am sure. ( I also think that Bearcat Nikki had a thing for Diego and still trying to catch his kiss)

“The Silent Assasin” is what I always remember Jobey in his freshman and sophomore years. Before the opponent would realize what happened. He already made two quick three pointers and sat back on the bench watching for the signal to come in for a few more.

“What can Brown do “to” you?” . Another exciting shooter. One of UAB fans favorite among others. I remember how he lit the Wolfpacks and the Gamecocks up as a freshman. I was fortunate enough to make it to both of those games.

And last but not least, Hoosiers favorite Mr. “.07 sec.” Plavich. He will make the NCAA extends just a few . . . miles behind the NBA three point line after this year.

I was wondering if I could check all of them since every single one of them are my favorites?

JOBEY

Easy one for me, Henry. I’m a bit biased as he was a freshman the same time I was and I attended just about every home game the 4 years I was there. He had it all and was a blast to watch. It made those trips out to the Charlotte Coliseum well worth it !!

[b]I'd love to watch them all play a few games of Horse. In THAT scenario, I'd go with Plav because of his range.[/b]

Come on JCL how can you go against Henry even in a game of horse. Henry was the best this school has ever seen. Plavich is shooting 57% from the FT line and Henry was over 80% for his career. You can’t win a game of horse if you can’t make FT’s. The guy averaged 20/game for 4 years!

[i]Originally posted by Niner89[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 11:12 PM [b] Henry "The Warrior" is how I always remember him. If my memory serves me correctly on an icy night at Hornets arena against South Florida. Henry stole the ball and went the distance for a dunk. Radinko Dobra trailed Henry and fouled so hard sending Henry to the goal post. Henry had to leave in the first half to get the nasty cut above his eye taking care of. He came back on the second half and had one of his high scoring game against the Bulls. [/b]
I remember something similar happening his freshman year. It was the Sunbelt Tourney at the Charlotte Coliseum and he was murdered going for a dunk on the fast break. It was the first round, and UNCC(1 or 2 seed) got upset by the WKU Hilltoppers. Coincidentally the Dink was a senior and had a helluva game.

However, he is bar none, my favorite Niner of all time. I remember him scoring a 4 point play vs. VCU @ Davidson. He was a masterful shooter, and as quick as Mitchell. Chris Gatling won Sunbelt POY Henry’s senior year ('92) and it was a shame. Henry went on to get drafted by Jerry Tarkanian’s San Antonio Spurs, but never got much of a shake. He would have been a good NBA point guard

All you old timers feel free to correct me if I muddled facts.

Jobey Thomas was a good shooter who couldn’t get seperation, and had a pretty slow release. He wouldn’t get much PT on this year’s team. Henry would start. Diego would be coming off the bench in a role similar to Leemire.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 11:31 PM [b]
[b]I'd love to watch them all play a few games of Horse. In THAT scenario, I'd go with Plav because of his range.[/b]

Come on JCL how can you go against Henry even in a FT shooting contest. Henry was the best this school has ever seen. Plavich is shooting 57% from the FT line and Henry was over 80% for his career. You can’t win a game of horse if you can’t make FT’s. The guy averaged 20/game for 4 years! [/b]

Roderick Howard was a 90% free throw shooter. Plus he broke James Worthy’s scoring mark at Gastonia Ashbrook High.

Jobey didn’t have a quick release!? What?! His release was amazing. I’m not sure if we watched the same Jobey Thomas, but the ball would fly out of his hands at a flick.

I disagree. If he wasn’t open, he wouldn’t get a shot off. Cincinnati always shut him down with pressure D. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan. However, I stick by my assertion that he would ride pine on this team. He’s a poor man’s Plavich.

Pork Chop- What the heck are you talking about?
Jobey had a slow release and wouldn’t get much playing time on this year’s team?

This is the same Jobey that Dick Vitale commented had the “quickest release in the nation”. He was known for the quick release he had. Did you ever watch him play? Jobey would start over Plav any day. I believe he was 91% from the FT Line his senior year (in the final minute of the game we would give him the ball so team’s could send him to the line, he always iced victories for us there). He set 2 C-USA records for most 3 pointers in a season and most all time. Broke Henry Williams record as a freshman for most 3’s in a season. His energy on the court, competitive spirit and leadership on and off the court made him the man. I often wonder how many 3’s he would have hit if he would have gunned like Demon and Plav. Jobey was one of the most unselfish players you’ll ever see and I don’t recall him forcing any shots. Smart player. All that to say Pork Chop what are you talking about?

I always hated it that Diego had to switch to point when Jobey showed up. Diego would have had a different career at 2 but Jobey simply beat him out for the spot.

JObey didn’t have a “release”, it was more of a volleyball set. Some of those screens the defender followed him perfectly, they just couldn’t catch up to the set shot. Curtis Staples of UVA in the mid nineties was the same way. Jobey had the Eddie Basden “freshman thru senior” progression. If Plavich could hit from the charity stripe, he would be averaging 18 (like Jobey as a senior) instead of 14.

Falling out of bounds with a guy in his face, I’d take Demon, cause I never saw Henry play here.

[i]Originally posted by mineshaft[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 11:54 PM [b] Pork Chop- What the heck are you talking about? Jobey had a slow release and wouldn't get much playing time on this year's team?

This is the same Jobey that Dick Vitale commented had the “quickest release in the nation”. He was known for the quick release he had. Did you ever watch him play? Jobey would start over Plav any day. I believe he was 91% from the FT Line his senior year (in the final minute of the game we would give him the ball so team’s could send him to the line, he always iced victories for us there). He set 2 C-USA records for most 3 pointers in a season and most all time. Broke Henry Williams record as a freshman for most 3’s in a season. His energy on the court, competitive spirit and leadership on and off the court made him the man. I often wonder how many 3’s he would have hit if he would have gunned like Demon and Plav. Jobey was one of the most unselfish players you’ll ever see and I don’t recall him forcing any shots. Smart player. All that to say Pork Chop what are you talking about? [/b]

Dicky Vitale! You back up your argument with Dickie V? I do agree that he was unselfish and he was a great free throw shooter. Defensively was similar to Plavich. Plavich is clutch in big games. Lutz said he is one of the best three point shooters on the road in the whole country. Plus he’s a leader. He was named captain during his transfer year.

Demon holds the record for single season threes the year after Jobey left (He and Stephens were our only strong scoring option that year.)

What does everyone else think? Who would start: Jobey or Brendan?

I take Plav if we could have him for all 4 years

Jobey had a quick release. It was the only way he could get his shot off. Dee Tolliver didnt have the same luxury. The reason Cincy would shut him down is because Imac would just crowd him and he didnt have the athleticism to do anything else but to catch and shoot.

He was a much more consistent ‘pure’ shooter than Brendan. That being said, Brendan can make much more spectacular shots. Doesnt have to be set like Jobey needed to be, and thats a good thing since he is shorter.

That being said, Henry was the best guard we’ve had. All around, a complete player.