Pierria Henry - 2011 PG

First dual-sport star in Charlotte history?

I’ll settle for him to be a basketball star.

Awesome.

"For one, I felt really comfortable with the coaching staff," Henry said Thursday night after South Charleston's 83-30 blowout of Spring Valley. "They're great people. The program is doing so good right now, too. They beat Georgia Tech, which is an ACC school. They beat Tennessee when Tennessee was in the top five, and they just beat Xavier last night to give them their first loss in the conference."

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201102031802

Kid seems to have it together. I like it.

So are we expecting him to be a big time contributor his first year. If so seems we’re a little heavy in the guard area. I wonder if they are banking on Luka not coming back? I sure hope not.

[quote=“MKNiner, post:24, topic:24884”]Kid seems to have it together. I like it.

So are we expecting him to be a big time contributor his first year. If so seems we’re a little heavy in the guard area. I wonder if they are banking on Luka not coming back? I sure hope not.[/quote]

Luka is still on the bench, FWIW.

This just made my morning. With the growth I am already seeing out of young guys and our depth issues being solved, I am growing very optimistic about the future of this program.

Welcome to Niner Nation Mr Henry!

PS - can anyone help me with how to pronounce his first name? I don’t wanna butcher it.

Definitely read that Dailymail article…

The 49ers are coached by Purdue graduate Alan Major, who is in his first season at the school. His staff, though, includes former Virginia Tech assistant Ryan Odom, who Henry knows well.

“Coach Odom offered me when he was at Virginia Tech, and now he’s an assistant at Charlotte,” Henry said. "He still stayed in contact with me the whole time.

Some of these coaches - and I won’t mention names - they’d be at these high conferences and they’d say they heard about me but they’d never talk to me themselves. Then when they drop down to a smaller conference I’m their man. What that told me is that they didn’t think I was a top-level talent.

Smart kid. I like him already.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:26, topic:24884”]This just made my morning. With the growth I am already seeing out of young guys and our depth issues being solved, I am growing very optimistic about the future of this program.

PS - can anyone help me with how to pronounce his first name? I don’t wanna butcher it.[/quote]

I’m going to guess Pierre-ia but he may prefer Pie-arrhea. It’s really hard to tell sometimes until they or the coaching staff comes out and says it.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:26, topic:24884”]This just made my morning. With the growth I am already seeing out of young guys and our depth issues being solved, I am growing very optimistic about the future of this program.

PS - can anyone help me with how to pronounce his first name? I don’t wanna butcher it.[/quote]

pee-AIR-ee-uh would be my guess.

Very true and as it is we will add all 5 with who we have on the bench. Luka, Mayfield, Williams, Nickerson, Thorne - thats all 5 positions plus Henry and hopefully another big man and we are golden.

Not sure what kind of big men are left out there. I would be ok with a juco to come in at this point. Would rather do that than reach on a guy, but the way they are bringing them in I will trust what they are doing!

Easy to see how important those big wins are to landing a kid.

Sounds like a very nice signing. I just hope everyone here now stays, everyone remains healthy and eligible. It would be nice to have a full roster for a change.

I see what you are saying but we did have a full roster last year. This year… yeah ok.

This is exciting news. It’s good to see Odom having such an influence on our recruiting and pulling in some guys he looked at while at VT.

Now we are down to one open scholarship and if we can get a Forward we would be pretty well rounded. Right now I would say we have the depth to even pick up a project at PF/C if needed. With all of these guards we may be a smaller but faster team next year.

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201012120605?page=1&build=cache

Obstacles haven’t slowed Henry

[quote=“MKNiner, post:24, topic:24884”]Kid seems to have it together. I like it.

So are we expecting him to be a big time contributor his first year. If so seems we’re a little heavy in the guard area. I wonder if they are banking on Luka not coming back? I sure hope not.[/quote] Projecting where all these new guys will end up on the depth chart is a crapshoot at this point. Even with having seen Mayfield and Voncina in an exhibition (or playing for UGA in Mayfield’s case), we really have no idea what they can do as a Niner. Same goes for the freshmen coming in obviously. If Voncina can play, there will definitely be minutes available, since no one has locked down any positions (though Green/Briscoe probably are starters at pg in some capacity at the beginning).

I was wondering the same. I know some of the incoming freshman on the baseball team were successful football players. There are a couple of QB’s and a LB on the roster. Can you red shirt in one sport but play in another?

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:34, topic:24884”]http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201012120605?page=1&build=cache

Obstacles haven’t slowed Henry[/quote] Wow, what a story. He’s seen a lot of hardships. Seems to have done a good job keeping his head up despite the tough times.

NA, I have to request that you change your avatar. I keep thinking you are KTown/TRL. I was like, “Wow! Such positivity from KTown!” and then… no.

Sounds promising. I like that we’ve been able fill different positions. Welcome to Charlotte, Henry!

Did some searching trying to figure out what type of player he is found these two threads on the VCU board

The good
http://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4012&hilit=Henry

the not so good, but I think it’s documented in that article that is posted.
http://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4426&hilit=henry