Pierria Henry - 2011 PG

6’3 PG from South Charleston, WV. Originally committed to VCU and is now exploring other options.

"Right now he's a little torn on playing basketball or football,'' said SC football coach John Messinger. "We're just waiting it out to see.''

Messenger said Marshall has offered Henry a scholarship for football with an option to also play basketball. The SC coach said Clemson attended Tuesday night’s boys basketball matchup with George Washington to watch Henry. Messinger said UNC-Charlotte, which Henry visited this past weekend, and Cleveland State have offered a scholarship for basketball.

Rivals - 3 star

Scout - 2 star

ESPN - 88 rating, 2 star (when he committed to VCU he had a 92 rating, 4 star)

ESPN player evaluation

[size=13px]Strengths:[/size][font=helvetica][size=13px]Pierria is a combo guard. He is comfortable playing either guard spot. He has a good basketball IQ which enables him to play point guard and run a team. He is best with the ball in his hands. He is a good creator for both himself and others. He has excellent size at the point guard spot where he can see over the defense and find open teammates. He is quick and strong enough to get in the lane and either finish or dump a pass to a teammate to score. Henry is a solid shooter with range to 20 feet.[/size][/font][size=13px]Weaknesses:
Henry needs to continue to develop his jumpshot in order to keep defenders from sagging off him. He also needs to add strength which will make him that much more difficult to keep him from getting where he wants to go.[/size][size=13px]Bottom Line:
[/size]
[size=13px]Henry is a good scorer and can be effective off the ball. Defensively he is solid. He has good size and strength to deter penetration when guarding point guards. He has good length and solid quickness. Pierria is a great get for VCU. He can play in almost any style but is best in an up and down system.[/size]
[size=11px]

http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/201102011458?page=1&build=cache[/size]

ESPN said he committed to VCU

Never mind

Henry is a hard nosed defender who isn’t focused on “him,” he does what it takes to when. Has been called the premiere defender in WV. He’s a young man whose dealt with more tribulations in his youth than most on this board. I’m willing to believe his leadership would be just as important as his skill set.

Aren’t Major and VCU’s Coach really close friends?Hmmm

If we land this guy we would have a lot of options at point. I hope we are targetting him because he’s a solid player and because we are planning for the future; not because the coaching staff lacks confidence in Luka and DeMario. I have a feeling DeMario won’t be playing much point for us.

He sounds like a good baller. I hope we can land him.

[quote=“TheShowDawg, post:5, topic:24884”]Aren’t Major and VCU’s Coach really close friends?Hmmm[/quote]that I’m not sure of. We were involved with Henry prior to his commitment to VCU. I’m assuming that Odom is our connection, as VT offered and our staff was recruiting him not long after they were assembled.

DeMario will be more of a SG/SF, IMHO.

Based on my GA roots and what I know about Mayfield, he is a SG with capable ball handling skills and good D.

Mayfield was a pg in high school, but I imagine he will play almost exclusively at the two for us, maybe the 3 against smaller teams. I’m excited about the type of players Major is bringing in and targeting.

I’m just excited based on your excitement and absolutely nothing else.

Pierra verbals to 49ers, choosing us over Marshall football.

http://greentintedglasses.net/2011/02/49ers-receive-verbal/

awesome. welcome to the niner nation.

Great news! I continue to be impressed by this staff’s recruiting! Now all we need is one more big man! I’m really excited by future Niner basketball!

Wow. 6’3’’ combo guard who likes to go to the rim and can defend.

You never know until they get here, but on paper our 4 freshman recruiting class looks pretty strong. They all seem to have good size for the position and are athletic. We basically recruited every position in that class, though I agree, I think we have to add another big man.

Add Luka and Mayfield to the mix and we are going to solve this year’s depth problems. I wonder if we press and run next year? Will be interesting.

Great to hear, needed another guy that could play pg coming in as a freshman. As Iron9er said, if we can add a power forward player, that’d be all 5 positions in one recruiting class. Would go a long way towards having a more balanced team.

Given the season we’re having so far, this starts to suggest the staff can still pull in players despite of a rough year. That would bode well for the next couple of years of recruiting that have already started by now.

Huge for us, Henry was a 4 star at ESPN prior to his commitment to VCU

Sweet! Welcome to The Nation!

I like it!!!

We need 1 more Big now.

This kid has big time potential!

Welcome to Charlotte.