Pierria Henry - Portsmouth Invitational

Would be nice if the Hornets take interest in him. They could really use size at the PG position. (And he could still workout a little with Mark Price.)

Hornets workout this Tuesday, June 9th.

Henry had his workout with the Hornets today:
Link to Highlights: http://www.nba.com/hornets/2015-draft-workouts-pierria-henry-highlights-06/09/15
Link to interview: http://www.nba.com/hornets/2015-draft-workouts-pierria-henry-06/09/15
Charlotte Observer write up: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article23602204.html

He looked solid in those highlights. I hope he gets a shot.

^^^^ to say the least!!!

Hope he gets a chance, but ever since Henry Williams didn’t make it to the nba, I’ve been less optimistic that any NINER til now could make it. Williams was special and one of our best. Much better than PH. So, I wish PH the best, but it won’t happen.

Hope he gets a chance, but ever since Henry Williams didn’t make it to the nba, I’ve been less optimistic that any NINER til now could make it. Williams was special and one of our best. Much better than PH. So, I wish PH the best, but it won’t happen.[/quote]

Williams was coached. Pierria with a coach could be good.

Henry is a jump shot away from being in the NBA. He has the size, defense and toughness to be a backup/third guard for a team.

You just never know though. He would instantly be my fav NBA player should he ever make it.

[quote=“Basden05, post:28, topic:29605”]Henry is a jump shot away from being in the NBA. He has the size, defense and toughness to be a backup/third guard for a team.

You just never know though. He would instantly be my fav NBA player should he ever make it.[/quote]
Unfortunately, about .01% of people in the basketball world have developed a J later in life…

Hope he gets a chance, but ever since Henry Williams didn’t make it to the nba, I’ve been less optimistic that any NINER til now could make it. Williams was special and one of our best. Much better than PH. So, I wish PH the best, but it won’t happen.[/quote]

Williams was coached. Pierria with a coach could be good.[/quote]
Henry Williams actually DID make it TO the NBA. Drafted in 2nd round by Spurs, but lasted less than one season I think (Coach Jerry Tarkanian had drafted HW and he was fired that year). Seems the front office then decided to push out some of his players, including HW.

Henry Williams actually DID make it TO the NBA. Drafted in 2nd round by Spurs, but lasted less than one season I think (Coach Jerry Tarkanian had drafted HW and he was fired that year). Seems the front office then decided to push out some of his players, including HW.[/quote]
The Shark lasted all of 20 games with the Spurs as he and owner Red McCombs butted heads over Rod Strickland’s replacement when the team’s starting PG left San Antonio for Portland. Tark wanted an experienced replacement and McCombs thought otherwise, signing Houston’s Avery Johnson and European pro Vinny del Negro.

Henry Williams actually DID make it TO the NBA. Drafted in 2nd round by Spurs, but lasted less than one season I think (Coach Jerry Tarkanian had drafted HW and he was fired that year). Seems the front office then decided to push out some of his players, including HW.[/quote]
The Shark lasted all of 20 games with the Spurs as he and owner Red McCombs butted heads over Rod Strickland’s replacement when the team’s starting PG left San Antonio for Portland. Tark wanted an experienced replacement and McCombs thought otherwise, signing Houston’s Avery Johnson and European pro Vinny del Negro.[/quote]

And Lloyd Daniels LOL

Depends on your definition of making it to the NBA. Yes, Henry was drafted by the Spurs with their only pick in 1992, but he was cut before ever playing a game. In fact, he first heard he was no longer with team while watching TV. And when the Spurs did finally get around to officially notifying him, it was assistant Bob Bass who spoke with HW, not Tarkanian - a slimeball extraordinaire!

It was Tark and his staff that cut Henry. After Tarkanian was fired, John Lucas asked Henry to come back but for less $ than he had been offered in the Italian league and Henry declined. Would love to see this Henry make the NBA and get some playing time. There is no other player in my time at Charlotte that gave our basketball team so much with so little to show for it.

The Shark lasted all of 20 games with the Spurs as he and owner Red McCombs butted heads over Rod Strickland’s replacement when the team’s starting PG left San Antonio for Portland. Tark wanted an experienced replacement and McCombs thought otherwise, signing Houston’s Avery Johnson and European pro Vinny del Negro.[/quote]

Crazy sometimes how things shake out, if a player is just given a chance. No doubt in my mind that Henry could have had an Avery Johnson type of career.

But with the way it shook out for Henry, I can’t blame him at all for taking guaranteed money in Italy, rather than chasing the NBA dream.

It was Tark and his staff that cut Henry. After Tarkanian was fired, John Lucas asked Henry to come back but for less $ than he had been offered in the Italian league and Henry declined. Would love to see this Henry make the NBA and get some playing time. There is no other player in my time at Charlotte that gave our basketball team so much with so little to show for it.[/quote]
Henry won a Metro Tourney title and played in an NCAA tourney as well as making several million over the years in Italy. I think he has a lot to “show for it”.

It was Tark and his staff that cut Henry. After Tarkanian was fired, John Lucas asked Henry to come back but for less $ than he had been offered in the Italian league and Henry declined. Would love to see this Henry make the NBA and get some playing time. There is no other player in my time at Charlotte that gave our basketball team so much with so little to show for it.[/quote]
My memory must be fading then. I could have sworn Henry lasted longer in S.A. than Tark.

[quote=“hootie, post:29, topic:29605”][quote=“Basden05, post:28, topic:29605”]Henry is a jump shot away from being in the NBA. He has the size, defense and toughness to be a backup/third guard for a team.

You just never know though. He would instantly be my fav NBA player should he ever make it.[/quote]
Unfortunately, about .01% of people in the basketball world have developed a J later in life…[/quote]
There’s a certain coach at Charlotte who seems to be excellent at developing jump shots…

After being cut by the Spurs, Henry Williams landed in the minors with the Wichita Falls Texans of the now defunct CBA. An all-star season there caught the attention of the Italian League and High Flyin’ made the right move to head overseas. Made as much money in that initial first month in Italy as he had the entire CBA season! Then millions by the time he retired a decade later. A definite no-brainer but would have been neat to have seen Henry in the NBA. Have no doubt he would have been successful had he been given the opportunity.

And FWIW, Tark was the 2nd coach fired by the Spurs within the 1992 calendar year. Larry Brown axed after 38 games of the 1991-92 season.