Pierria Henry

Any word on how Henry’s doing? Dude took a hard elbow to the trachea, appeared to have a hard time catching his breath on the bench. He eventually went back to the locker room, dont think he came back. :frowning:

[font=Arial][size=3]Bobby Rosinski ‏@BobbyRosinski[/size][/font]

[/color][font=Arial][size=3]Assistant Coach Ryan Odom on post game show says Pierra Henry was taken to a local hospital to get checked out…plans to head over shortly[/size][/font][color=rgb(153, 153, 153)]

[quote=“ApexNiner, post:22, topic:27606”][font=Arial][size=3]Bobby Rosinski ‏@BobbyRosinski[/size][/font]

[/color][font=Arial][size=3]Assistant Coach Ryan Odom on post game show says Pierra Henry was taken to a local hospital to get checked out…plans to head over shortly[/size][/font][color=rgb(153, 153, 153)][/quote]

Did not get to watch the second half. Hopefully a flagrant one was called!

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:23, topic:27606”][quote=“ApexNiner, post:22, topic:27606”][font=arial][/font]Bobby Rosinski ‏@BobbyRosinski

[font=arial][size=1.35em]Assistant Coach Ryan Odom on post game show says Pierra Henry was taken to a local hospital to get checked out…plans to head over shortly[/size][/font][/quote]

Did not get to watch the second half. Hopefully a flagrant one was called![/quote]

no

Playing tight D and caught an elbow near throat.

How was it not an F1? F1 occurs whenever an elbow makes contact with an opposing player above the shoulders. It’s written is such a way to suggest any contact is an F1. That’s the rule. So how would this not be an F1?

Elbow was unintentional. Just caught him a in a funny place on the throat.

Plus, the refs used up all their leverage to call fouls per the book on us yesterday. Damn sure weren’t going to give us another foul call like that today. Better leave these rules up to the descression of officials less the espn talking heads get word of it.

PS, hope Henry’s well.

How was it not an F1? F1 occurs whenever an elbow makes contact with an opposing player above the shoulders. It’s written is such a way to suggest any contact is an F1. That’s the rule. So how would this not be an F1?[/quote]

I think it was because Henry was legit about 4 inches away trying to smack the ball away. I hear what you are saying but some things just happen. It was totally unintentional. Just a fluke

I don’t care if it was on purpose or not it should have been a foul. How about all those morons watching him struggle to breathe for what seemed like forever. Our medical staff should know that a punch to the throat can lead to a life threatening condition. Henry better be OK. I know everyone out there has recently jumped on the Henry band waggon but he has been my favorite player since his freshman year. GO HENRY!

How was it not an F1? F1 occurs whenever an elbow makes contact with an opposing player above the shoulders. It’s written is such a way to suggest any contact is an F1. That’s the rule. So how would this not be an F1?[/quote]

I think it was because Henry was legit about 4 inches away trying to smack the ball away. I hear what you are saying but some things just happen. It was totally unintentional. Just a fluke[/quote]

Intention doesn’t matter…it’s still a T. Intention is only relevant in calling it a F-1 or F-2. Elbows above shoulders are always a T…it was implemented a couple years ago for plays exactly like this when instead of beating a defender off the dribble or getting fouled, players lead with the elbow to create space or they throw them around on a rebound to create space. Doesn’t matter how close PH was to him…he’s entitled to that space as long as he isn’t fouling.

I think it was because Henry was legit about 4 inches away trying to smack the ball away. I hear what you are saying but some things just happen. It was totally unintentional. Just a fluke[/quote]

Intention doesn’t matter…it’s still a T. Intention is only relevant in calling it a F-1 or F-2. Elbows above shoulders are always a T…it was implemented a couple years ago for plays exactly like this when instead of beating a defender off the dribble or getting fouled, players lead with the elbow to create space or they throw them around on a rebound to create space. Doesn’t matter how close PH was to him…he’s entitled to that space as long as he isn’t fouling.[/quote]

I agree with what you’re saying, and I did miss the play, but if a guy reaches swipes for the ball and in my motion of trying to dribble past him my elbow catches him in the throat it’s not a flagrant. Incidental, and just bad timing. Thrashing after a rebound or using your elbow to create space show intent. From what I’d gather it was just a freak play.

Intention doesn’t matter…it’s still a T. Intention is only relevant in calling it a F-1 or F-2. Elbows above shoulders are always a T…it was implemented a couple years ago for plays exactly like this when instead of beating a defender off the dribble or getting fouled, players lead with the elbow to create space or they throw them around on a rebound to create space. Doesn’t matter how close PH was to him…he’s entitled to that space as long as he isn’t fouling.[/quote]

It also wasn’t exactly in the throat. More between heart and throat. So wasn’t above shoulders. It’s just easier to say throat.

It was a fluke. Hope PH gets better soon.

It also wasn’t exactly in the throat. More between heart and throat. So wasn’t above shoulders. It’s just easier to say throat.[/quote]

Actually it was just below the cricoid with would be above his shoulders. If you watched all of the replays it was pretty clear.

3 things:

First of all, hopefully Pierria is fine and they just took him to the hospital to double check that there were no major injuries.

Second, I don’t know how anyone could say that it was clear where he was hit. From the replay, the only reason I knew he was hit is because his jersey was pulled to one side, which would seem to indicate he was hit below the shoulders.

Third, I don’t blame the refs for calling it the way they did. They actually did a good job of explaining it and even went to the tv announcers to explain their decision.

MBB - Pierria Henry has a bruised trachea but he is back at the team hotel and is okay.
https://twitter.com/Charlotte49ers/status/312705641703669760

Great news!

[quote=“emf, post:37, topic:27606”]

MBB - Pierria Henry has a bruised trachea but he is back at the team hotel and is okay.

https://twitter.com/Charlotte49ers/status/312705641703669760[/quote]

That’s good to hear. It was a little scary watching him having trouble catch his breath.

How no damn T for “inadverdent” elbow? Didn’t we get called for millions of elbows on rebounds in the last 5 years?

Pray for PH’s trachea.

The Refs can go to hell. I bet they wouldn’t have called it a T if PH had died out there.