Point Guard for 2009?

[QUOTE=CMack124;357924]It’s a delicate balance. We are really late in the game for '09 recruiting, we should have been done with the '09 class after Sherril and Braswell and Utter has posted that Lutz didn’t plan on going after a PG until '10. So trying to get into the game for a useful PG is '09 is pretty tough at this point. At appears as though Braswell’s relationship with Momo is the only reason we’re involved with him. If we don’t land him would you rather get a Jerrell Lewis/Travis Best spring signing or would you rather have a stop-gap JUCO PG to play behind Harris for a year and then battle (hopefully) a more highly recruited HS PG in '10 for the starting spot?

I agree that if we can get a good HS PG in '09, that seems like a great idea, but if Jones doesn’t work out, we’re probably too late to get in on recruiting a useful HS PG. I’m not a huge JUCO fan, but sometimes they are necessary and I could see us needing one for '09.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, we’re very late in the game with top prep PGs. Basically, they’ve either already committed or are trying to qualify this Fall. If there’s a chance they might not qualify, that would be even worse. We’ll wait until the spring to sort it out.

Here’s best case scenario to me, unless we get Mo Mo or get lucky with someone else. Get a commitment from one of these 2010 PGs we’re after and then sign a stud JUCO PG for next year. He plays behind DH next year and then is ready for 2010, while the Fr PG gets some experience.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;357940]
Here’s best case scenario to me, unless we get Mo Mo or get lucky with someone else. Get a commitment from one of these 2010 PGs we’re after and then sign a stud JUCO PG for next year. He plays behind DH next year and then is ready for 2010, while the Fr PG gets some experience.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think we’ll get a stud JUCO for the same reason that Gerrity left: he’s not going to want to share time, either. Unless he can’t find a place where he will play right away, that’s the only way we’re signing a “stud” JUCO PG. Now, we may have to sign a JUCO PG, but I don’t see him being highly touted. I hope I’m wrong, but… I think we need to find as good of a freshman PG as we can for next year and hope he’ll be ready to take the reigns his sophomore year.

[QUOTE=X-49er;357959]I don’t think we’ll get a stud JUCO for the same reason that Gerrity left: he’s not going to want to share time, either. Unless he can’t find a place where he will play right away, that’s the only way we’re signing a “stud” JUCO PG. Now, we may have to sign a JUCO PG, but I don’t see him being highly touted. I hope I’m wrong, but… I think we need to find as good of a freshman PG as we can for next year and hope he’ll be ready to take the reigns his sophomore year.[/QUOTE]

Dijuan wasn’t highly rated, hopefully we can find another diamond in the rough.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;357964]Dijuan wasn’t highly rated, hopefully we can find another diamond in the rough.[/QUOTE]

My hope, too. But for once, I was hopeful we could get a big-time freshman PG since it appears we will have a stud frontcourt.

My hope, too. But for once, I was hopeful we could get a big-time freshman PG since it appears we will have a stud frontcourt.

That would be, in my opinion, what would get us to where we need to be. The college game is a guard game. Hopefully something will come through.

[QUOTE=X-49er;357959]I don’t think we’ll get a stud JUCO for the same reason that Gerrity left: he’s not going to want to share time, either. Unless he can’t find a place where he will play right away, that’s the only way we’re signing a “stud” JUCO PG. Now, we may have to sign a JUCO PG, but I don’t see him being highly touted. I hope I’m wrong, but… I think we need to find as good of a freshman PG as we can for next year and hope he’ll be ready to take the reigns his sophomore year.[/QUOTE]

Share it one year and start the next. That’s pretty much what every top JUCO is looking for.

I don't think we'll get a stud JUCO for the same reason that Gerrity left: he's not going to want to share time, either. Now, we may have to sign a JUCO PG, but I don't see him being highly touted. .

I agree with you here actually I think Bobby/Mox is going to find a solid-to-good backup PG who is willing to be a #2 to Harris for the immediate future then set their sights on the freshmen one.

Further evidence that we got hosed by Gerrity’s departure. I hope Kyle Church is eating his Wheaties:

October 27, 2008 [B][SIZE=4]Best of the Rest: Point Guards[/SIZE][/B] [B]Justin Young[/B] Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Senior Writer [B]MORE:[/B] [URL=http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1911&Year=2009][COLOR=#0a4ea3]Class of 2009 Point Guard Rankings[/COLOR][/URL]

If you would have talked to any college basketball coach back in April, they probably would have told you that point guard was the shallowest of all of the positions in the class of 2009. If you would have talked to the same coach in July, the answer would have been the same.

Today, if a coach in need hasn’t locked up a floor general, there is a good chance they are losing hours of sleep. As one coach put it, “The point guard class is as grave as my stock portfolio.”

Despite the doom and gloom, there is still some talent left at the position. In fact, the top two point guards in the class of 2009 - both likely McDonald’s All-Americans - are still on the board. So are four other Rivals150 prospects.

After that? Well, that’s where the life raft comes in handy. Finding help at point guard will be a major story line to watch as college recruiters follow this high school basketball season.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=868767

Well, that settles it, I guess we are going to have to get one of those All Americans then. :smile:

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;358082]Share it one year and start the next. That’s pretty much what every top JUCO is looking for.[/QUOTE]

Not if I’m they’re considered one of the Top 5 at their position. Couple that with what Survivor posted, and most will be looking to play right away. I hope you’re right, that we can muster a Colson-like guard, but I don’t see it with Harris having a year left.

[QUOTE=Jersey Niner32;358086]I agree with you here actually I think Bobby/Mox is going to find a solid-to-good backup PG who is willing to be a #2 to Harris for the immediate future then set their sights on the freshmen one.[/QUOTE]

I think that’s the likely scenario.