Point Guard for 2009?

The scare during the exhibition game with Harris being undercut and having to go to the sideline limping should be more eye-opening that our main priority should be to get a point guard with this upcoming class, but every recruit I’m seeing is either another shooting guard (which we have a plethora of) and big guys. In my opinion, if we lose Harris, we’re screwed this year. Does anybody know if we have a chance at a good point guard for this upcoming class? 1) I don’t want to have two years in a row without a back up point guard, and 2) I don’t want another JUCO point guard like Carlos. Thoughts?

I think its safe to say that getting a PG is their top target. Its just a matter of finding that guy.

I think its safe to say that getting a PG is their top target. Its just a matter of finding that guy.

I hope so. I just haven’t seen it.

We may get lucky with a warrior such as Sean Colson, too.

We can only hope, but those guys don’t come along very often.

Dewhurst is only a sophomore.

Thoughts?
How dare you hate on Carlos Williams?! He was the next Sean Colson!!
Dewhurst is only a sophomore.

I love Dew, but he’s not a point guard. We’re in trouble if Harris gets hurt and he’s our starter. We need another true point guard.

[B][URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EtqlVmWoPo]Momo Jones[/URL][/B] plays exclusively at point guard for Oak Hill ([URL=http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=68206]Doron Lamb[/URL] is their shooting guard). But Jones can also play either guard position which should work out great with Dijuan Harris still on the roster.

Now it’s just a matter of beating out some very good schools to get him.

Dont forget, Harris was a juco and former walk on. Juco’s arent all bad.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;357892]Dont forget, Harris was a juco and former walk on. Juco’s arent all bad.[/QUOTE]

Sort of ironic that people don’t want a JUCO PG to backup our JUCO PG…

[QUOTE=CMack124;357894]Sort of ironic that people don’t want a JUCO PG to backup our JUCO PG…[/QUOTE]

And you sir, should remove Michael Parody from your sig

[QUOTE=thelew1014;357902]And you sir, should remove Michael Parody from your sig[/QUOTE]

it says “- gerrity” like minus

Found an interesting stat on Colson in the Media Guide.

He is our #1 AllTime assist leader, 1 assist ahead of Byron Dinkins.

The amazing part? Colson played for 2ys and Dinkins was a 4yr stud for us!!!

He holds the top 2 Niner records for assists in a game: 18 in 1998 vs Houston and 17 in 1997 against Houston

He holds the record for most assists in a year at 157. Second place is 118 which is also held by Colson.

PG’s like that are rare. It is safe to say he is the only TRUE playmaking PG in our team history. I guess that’s why I miss Gerrity so much. Knowing how rare true play making PGS are…all you need is to look at our own history.

Also consider that Colson only had Demarco (Galen wasn’t an offensive option other than ally oops and Diego was a freshman). Look at our weapons today and imagine what a Colson (or a Gerrity) could do with that!!!

Lastly…for those that do bash JUCO’s…Colson was a JUCO!

[QUOTE=jfickett;357904]it says “- gerrity” like minus[/QUOTE]

How dare he ask me to do math!

This thread isn’t about JUCO’s and why we should or shouldn’t get one. I apologize if I hit a nerve with the people who love JUCO point guards by saying I don’t want another Carlos Williams. I was simply saying that if we aren’t already, we need to recruit more point guards for the 2009 class, and I think we can all agree that it would be nice to have a freshman that we can have for 4 years. Colson was awesome. Harris is becoming a very good player, but because they are/were JUCO, their time here is limited. Momo would be awesome, but is he the only one we’re after. We’ll have to beat out some tough competition to get him. I just don’t want to recruit another big guy or shooting guard and risk it.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;357912]How dare he ask me to do math![/QUOTE]

My apologies, I can’t take credit for the idea, I’m not nearly clever enough, somebody else suggested it, so blame them.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;357916]This thread isn’t about JUCO’s and why we should or shouldn’t get one. I apologize if I hit a nerve with the people who love JUCO point guards by saying I don’t want another Carlos Williams. I was simply saying that if we aren’t already, we need to recruit more point guards for the 2009 class, and I think we can all agree that it would be nice to have a freshman that we can have for 4 years. Colson was awesome. Harris is becoming a very good player, but because they are/were JUCO, their time here is limited. Momo would be awesome, but is he the only one we’re after. We’ll have to beat out some tough competition to get him. I just don’t want to recruit another big guy or shooting guard and risk it.[/QUOTE]

It’s a delicate balance. We are really late in the game for '09 recruiting, we should have been done with the '09 class after Sherril and Braswell and Utter has posted that Lutz didn’t plan on going after a PG until '10. So trying to get into the game for a useful PG is '09 is pretty tough at this point. At appears as though Braswell’s relationship with Momo is the only reason we’re involved with him. If we don’t land him would you rather get a Jerrell Lewis/Travis Best spring signing or would you rather have a stop-gap JUCO PG to play behind Harris for a year and then battle (hopefully) a more highly recruited HS PG in '10 for the starting spot?

I agree that if we can get a good HS PG in '09, that seems like a great idea, but if Jones doesn’t work out, we’re probably too late to get in on recruiting a useful HS PG. I’m not a huge JUCO fan, but sometimes they are necessary and I could see us needing one for '09.

Next year Bowden will hopefully be back to full strength, so he may spend some time at the backup position (unless Dew really shows something this year).

It’d be nice to get a 4-year guy this year, otherwise, save the scholarship for a 4-year guy or a top juco guy next year. Stop-gap solutions have not worked out that well for us (not just jucos in general, but particularly the late scramble for players that rarely work out).

It's a delicate balance. We are really late in the game for '09 recruiting, we should have been done with the '09 class after Sherril and Braswell and Utter has posted that Lutz didn't plan on going after a PG until '10. So trying to get into the game for a useful PG is '09 is pretty tough at this point. At appears as though Braswell's relationship with Momo is the only reason we're involved with him. If we don't land him would you rather get a Jerrell Lewis/Travis Best spring signing or would you rather have a stop-gap JUCO PG to play behind Harris for a year and then battle (hopefully) a more highly recruited HS PG in '10 for the starting spot?

I agree that if we can get a good HS PG in '09, that seems like a great idea, but if Jones doesn’t work out, we’re probably too late to get in on recruiting a useful HS PG. I’m not a huge JUCO fan, but sometimes they are necessary and I could see us needing one for '09.

Good points. Gerrity leaving has really put us in some ****. Oh well, hopefully we’ll get Momo.