Poll: Was extending Fearne as HC the right move?

If we would have won last night and lost a close one today, then I am good. Today, iā€™m not good.

5 Likes

Itā€™s certainly not necessarily fair to let one bad game overshadow what was otherwise an overachieving season.

Howeverā€¦the goal is to be playing your best ball at the end of the year and to be able to make a run in March.

For us to look so ill prepared in EVERY facet last night after a full week of restā€¦for us to have no energy or play with ZERO urgency against an 11 seed playing their 3rd game in 3 daysā€¦for us to play literally the worst game of the season in our 1st game of the Conference Tourney that we had a puncherā€™s chance to winā€¦to lay the biggest egg of the season on the biggest stage of the season.

That is NOT the way to win over any program as a coach if that performance is how you end the season. Especially compared to how they were playing earlier in the year.

Want a coach whose team plays their worst game of the year in October not Marchā€¦and looks dangerous & hungry in the postseasonā€¦not confused, clunky and disinterested.

As big of a no-brainer as it looked when he was hiredā€¦that last game was a HUGE question mark.

1 Like

he did better than what I expected him to do with the talent so I wont hold it against him with how the season ended. I still think they should have waited until the season was over to see what was out there to get a better idea of what they could have gotten in the open market but whats done is done at this point. so I wish him well and its not like I think it will end in disaster. he showed some stuff that was mostly positive. I am curious to see how he will recruit now that its officially his show now.

1 Like

Yeah disappointment then but not anger. Objectively I think USF and FAU are the 2 best teams in the league. I hope they both wind up in the NCAAs.

And as an aside, any team that goes on a run like USF has through a league as solid as this one needs to be in the NCAAs. Screw what they did in November. If it was the Niners who were in their position I would certainly feel we deserve it. Also, I dont think that the team that they would likely be slotted against as like a 13 seed would want any part of them. Thatā€™s when ā€œupsetsā€ happen.

Confusing; some people here arguing with themselves. First you say he got the most out of this talent possible and he wildly exceeded expectations with this team, then you say we are going to lose our top 3 players to P5 schools because they are so good they are going to recruit them away with NIL money. The same 3 players that are not good enough to win a conf tourney game or make 1st team AAC? Then some say, Fearne canā€™t be blamed for our terrible shooting down the stretch of the season, but some praise him when we do shoot well (FAU) and call it great coaching and scheming.
We played terrible, got out coached and they wanted it more. The buck starts and stops at the coach in sports. They make a lot of money because itā€™s a year to year job. I have not heard any comments from Coach after the game but I have to think he will say the same thing.

2 Likes

Iā€™m happy with this season. The cherry on top would have been winning our first conference tournament game in eight years and hitting the 20 win mark.

1 Like

Itā€™s real. I contribute.

Hereā€™s the link.

clt is hearing that lutz was spotted walking into haltron today

I saw him the other day and his complexion seemed fine to me. No spots.

He did post-game after the game with Matt and Trevor just like every game. He was very disappointed. Said we have to guard the leagues bigger guards better and get stronger. Talked about how competitive this conference is. Disappointed in the first half turnovers and rebounding. He took it on the chin. He blamed no players. I donā€™t know if he is the greatest coach on Earth or not but I feel 100 percent certain he is a major upgrade from Sanchez.

9 Likes

With regards to coaching or basketball, we have some of the most ignorant fans around

4 Likes

Enlighten us then.

We may have gotten a coach with a more proven track record but Iā€™m not sure we would have gotten a better coach. The dude can coach. Last night sucked but those are the breaks. We still had a very successful season with a top 4 finish. Letā€™s see how he manages the roster.

7 Likes

Bad games happen, bad shooting nights happen. Take a look at tournaments across the country and you see teams that have momentum of earlier games winning.

Itā€™s just stupid to judge what was accomplished based on a bad game against a team who is on a roll.

2 Likes

Sure the Temple loss hurts but doesnā€™t look as bad after what they did against FAU. Tournament miracle runs happenā€¦ see State.

Coach has been on Twitter all day personally responding to fansā€¦ thatā€™s a far cry from the past. I think he has the mentality and skills to be successful here and I hope heā€™s able to use his international connections in recruiting.

2 Likes

Iā€™m more mad about how we lost than the fact that we lost. We looked terrible. We should have had an energy level twice theirs and we just didnā€™t.

Offense was so sluggish. Movement was nonexistent. No screens. Very few good interior passes. We played with effort but being rested and playing a tired team we should have been able to outhistle them and we just didnā€™t.

To me, it isnā€™t that we lost, itā€™s how we did it.

3 Likes

All depends on how he recruits

2 Likes

Our biggest risk of transferring is Dishon.

I think Igor will turn Pro before transferring. That would be my biggest concern with him.

Nick and Luā€™cye, I believe both will stay. Luā€™cye twitter message does make me wonder what he will do.

Orā€¦ some here have their green colored glasses and Aaron Fearne Taylor Swift friendship bracelet on so tight they canā€™t look at something unbiasedly.

Taylor Swift Grammy GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs