PORTAL Building Rendering

The new CRI parking deck under construction would be my assumption.

http://universitycityclt.org/news/a-new-portal-for-public-private-research

New rendering

http://campusnews.uncc.edu/unc-charlotte-break-ground-portal-building

I liked the old rendering (although I’m sure it was just a placeholder) better. It does look like this will make the back entrance to campus look remarkably better though.

I much prefer the old design as well.

Old design was more architecturally pleasing. New design is likely cheaper, yet still nice.

PORTAL is designed to be expanded in the future… the left side of the original rendering… closest to the round-a-bout… is being built initially.

Boring…

Man if I was 18 again and interested in Engr or Sciences, or looking to do grad work, I’d be thrilled to go to Charlotte. Amazing Engr College.

Back when I was looking at grad schools Woodward had just opened and they had started hiring some professors with a lot of diverse areas of study. Fancy buildings and equipment are nice, but it’s really all about the professors, hopefully they have continued the trend the past few years. Professors with cool interests/projects + good funding = attractive grad school for engineers.

Why do they love awful Neo-Classical garbage, can’t we get some original architecture on this campus?

[quote=“unccccc, post:31, topic:23738”]Why do they love awful Neo-Classical garbage, can’t we get some original architecture on this campus?[/quote]Because that costs a lot of money. The classical style buildings give us buildings that will age well for a relatively low cost.

I would love to see some unique architecture on campus, but I just don’t see it happening without private funding assistance or China-like growth in our economy.

We have unique architecture. Colvard anyone? :smiley:

No kidding - I would rather stick with the neo-classical stuff and know that in 20 years they will still look fine than get more of some of stuff we have in campus currently - Colvard, Rowe, Storres, King and Reese and I guess even Cone. Those are all unique buildings and I would say atleast half of them haven’t aged all that well and more buildings like that would give our campus the appearance of a hodgepodge of crap rather than a smooth style that translates across campus.

[quote=“Niner National, post:32, topic:23738”][quote=“unccccc, post:31, topic:23738”]Why do they love awful Neo-Classical garbage, can’t we get some original architecture on this campus?[/quote]Because that costs a lot of money. The classical style buildings give us buildings that will age well for a relatively low cost.

I would love to see some unique architecture on campus, but I just don’t see it happening without private funding assistance or China-like growth in our economy.[/quote]

Not true. Can it? Sure. I could also do a crazy expensive building out of brick as well. Brick and concrete can also age just as horribly as other materials as well.

No kidding - I would rather stick with the neo-classical stuff and know that in 20 years they will still look fine than get more of some of stuff we have in campus currently - Colvard, Rowe, Storres, King and Reese and I guess even Cone. Those are all unique buildings and I would say atleast half of them haven’t aged all that well and more buildings like that would give our campus the appearance of a hodgepodge of crap rather than a smooth style that translates across campus.[/quote]

Storrs ages pretty well, all things considered, and functionally is likely the best building on campus for what it handles. Am I bias, sure, but I’ve also been in every building currently open on campus and can speak to it. I’ll agree Colvard is ugly as piss, and there are a few that are just rough. It’s largely their style, and that they were designed and executed poorly more than anything.

I don’t mind the mix of styles, it shows the progression of the school, but to each his own.

Praised highly the day it was opened. The next day…not so much.

Today in the big O - on the groundbreaking.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/12/15/2851715/uncc-to-break-ground-on-new-building.html

I knew Rowe was a dated building when I was informed that it was designed to look like a camera when viewed from the Belk Tower. Once I looked at it from that angle, I did notice that it surely resembles a 110 camera with the flash up. Then I thought “Geez, How old was I the last time I saw a 110 camera, like 5?”

Anyhow, I dont mind the progression of the buildings on campus. That being said, I prefer the neoclassical ones as well, and I’d rather see the commie looking high rises replaced, even though I did spend 3 of the best years of my life there. I am proud of the buildings in the research park, and especially that everyone entering the Hwy 29 entrance will get to drive by them on Saturdays in fall come football season!

I’ll have to check that out. Jfelt was supposed to be my all knowing source of campus, but has failed me much on this one.