Potential MBB Coaching Candidates

I saw Winthrop play the other day. I like the way they play. Seem to have a plan on D and look to score the ball often. They donā€™t drag out possessions for the sake of being in the right spot on the court. Play with good flow

LOLā€¦ What are you smoking!?

There are 4 girls middle school coaches in the area better than what we have.

And if you think Sanchez excites anyone within our fan base Iā€™m guessing you havenā€™t heard him speakā€¦ Ever.

Nothing he says or does exudes even the slightest amount of excitement at all.

He probably is a great guy t have on a bench for a younger guy. Feel like hes a bit too old.

I merely said none of the coaches mentioned excite me nor do I believe they would excite the fan base.
Kudos to you though as you were able to get in your ā€œI Hate Charlotte Coachesā€ rant for the day. I think you are shooting for what, five to ten of them a day?
It must be exhausting being so negative.

Go Niners.

4 Likes

Noā€¦your quote beganā€¦
ā€œI donā€™t believe any of the names so far on this post are any better than what we have nowā€¦ā€

Youā€™re wrongā€¦they are probably ALL better than what we have now.

You mentioned the excitement part secondlyā€¦which I also addressed. And while these names may not excite YOU, as a Sanchez relative, they certainly excite the rest of us that are ready to move on from this disaster.

Just because you type it, it doesnā€™t make it true.

I am not a ā€œSanchez Relativeā€, I just understand that coaching a basketball team, especially over the last 2 years (NIL, Portal, Covid, etc.) is not easy. Do I think Ron can take us back to the glory land, I donā€™t know and am losing faith. I am waiting, however, to year end to see where this team is and our record.

My statement that I donā€™t believe the candidates mentioned so far are better than what we have now holds for ME. You can disagree with that and that is fine, but also doesnā€™t make you, or me, right.

Amazes me how you tear into anyone that disagrees with your pessimistic forecast of all things Niner. Fun Fact, neither you nor I will make the decision on this. My guess is you will find fault with whatever Hill does. Just seems to be your nature.

I hope no matter what Hill decides you will root for our success, give to the Foundation, buy season tickets and come to games. Go Niners!

5 Likes

Bart Lundy is still my choice, same as he was when Ronnie was hired.

There are no sure things. I thought Sanchez was an absolute home run when he was hired. Hasnā€™t turned out that way

3 Likes

Same. Ron was about a safe of a P5 assistant profile as possible. He was not the Major 3rd assistant or the hail mary out of the box of Price. Ron made total sense - just hasnā€™t worked out.

Big no to lundy. My list would be:
Byington at jmu
Chris mack
Pat kelsey
Maybe prosser but still not sold
Keatts but i have some reservations on him
Mike white but reservations on him too
Im forgetting names but thats a starter list.

Would if fit for us to be his "soft landing "

Sitting at last place in the ACC entering Wednesday night and then losing at home to Boston College, things are not going well for Kevin Keatts in Raleigh. But the injury issues in Raleigh were real this season, and this is the first time the Wolfpack will finish below .500 in the league under Keatts. They made the NCAA tournament in 2018 and would have likely made it in 2020. Heā€™ll likely get one more year to turn it around, but the pressure is starting to mount and the buyout is considered manageable. He could also look for a soft landing at another opening.

I havenā€™t followed Mike Whiteā€™s career at Florida, but I think he would definitely be in the wheelhouse.

I would like to see us chase after guys like Chris Mack.

3 Likes

Matt McMahon would be a great option too.

What about Casey Alexander from Belmont? Could we get him? Some on this board think these up and commers will go to a ā€œbetter programā€ā€¦

I doubt Matt or Casey will come here. They will go to a better program when they leave. Also, both teams are moving to the Missouri Valley and salary difference is not enough.

Matt is making $500k, Casey at $800k and Ron is at $650k.

Maybe you can argue the new AAC will be much better than the new MVC and/or that we will increase our salary significantly to attract these 2 candidates. Would love to see that happen but, I doubt it.

https://twitter.com/diego21guevara

1 Like

I would love to see Ben McCollum from NW Missouri State on the bench next year. Heā€™s not a big name but he does have back to back D2 championships and a 91-7 record over the past 3 seasons. If you watch them play, his teams are definitely well coached.

2 Likes

91-7 is insane! If he can recruit Divison 1 he is going to make waves somewhere.

He has a good resume but can he recruit to Charlotte? He is a lifelong Midwest guy.

Why hasnā€™t anyone snatched him up yet? He has multiple stand out seasons under his belt.

I donā€™t think heā€™s a fit geographically, but Iā€™m surprised John Becker hasnā€™t been picked up from Vermont by someone. Almost 54, but heā€™s been killing it there.

1 Like