Potential MBB Coaching Candidates

Thing I worry about him…
He took over for Laranaga, right?

I don’t think he built that program. He just kept it rolling.

Just reading about Matt McCall’s termination by UMass and Becker mentioned as a possibility for that A-10 opening.

Becker replaced Mike Lonergan, who lasted five seasons at GW before allegations of player abuse eventually led to his ouster in 2016.

Larranaga was at George Mason, where he led the Patriots to the Final Four in 2006.

Ack. Thanks for the correction Run.

We need somebody new. We are going backwards right now. Sanchez is ruining the confidence of our players. I dont blame any one of the players for leaving. Wr have to do something…

Here are some candidates from a SI article prior to the season:
College basketball coaches on rise: 10 names to know - Sports Illustrated

I think there are a few on this list we could land.

For the most part, every coach listed is having a good year.

Becker has a suitor:

1 Like

Here is a list I compiled for our board about a month ago of mostly regional types that I thought made sense. Coaches that were getting paid about half or less than the 1 million/ Top 100 pay ECU overpay’s Dooley. Most of our board still wants him to extent him and him to return as mindnumbing as it is to me and collect a 250k legacy bonus if he returns while all these guys do more with less. Same 15-13 180th purgatory.

550k Pat Kelsey…C of C…196-103…#65 NET (last year)
500k Matt McMahon…Murray St…141-66…#29 NET
500k Scott Nagy…Wright St…519-289…#75 NET (last year)
445k Chris Jans…New Mexico St…291-85…#87 NET
423k Dana Ford…Mizz St…121-112…#64 NET
410k Eric Konkol…La Tech…144-69…#88 NET
400k Richie Riley…South Alabama…103-72…#121 NET, at Clemson, CofC
357k Joe Pasternack…UC Santa Barbra…134-95…#49 NET (last year) UNCW interviewed
300k Josh_Schertz…Indiana St…346-79…1st year coached in NC
250k Lamont Paris…Chatanooga…76-68…#47 NET
NA Bob Richey…Furman …103-41…#82 NET
NA Bryce Drew…Grand Canyon…195-119…#97 NET

Non D1

Steve DeMeo-ECU assistant…170-27 …National Title ,JUCO, former top 25 assistant
Mark Vanderslice USC Aiken…257-94 …5 top 10 finishes JUCO
Bart Lundy -Queens NC…417-186…2 Final 4’s, 2 Elite 8’s D2
Ben Howlett…West Liberty…116-20…1 Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16’s D2…offensive average 100ppg

Dave Smart …591-48…13 Canadian National Titles…beat Syracuse, Wisconsin, Wichita St etc exhibitions

Jobless unlikley’s
Gregg Marshall…525-204…1 Final 4
Sean Miller…422-156…4 Elite 8’s
Thad Matta…439-154…2 Final 4’s
John Thompson 3…346-193…1 Final 4
Archie Miller…206-121…1 Elite 8
Mark Turgeon…476-275…2 Sweet 16’s
Chris Mack…283-134…1 Elite 8
Steve Prohm…201-124…1 Sweet 16
Larry Krystkowiak …225-159…1 Sweet 16
Mark Lonergan…474-226…NIT Championship, NCAA’s

I wish we’d just given DeMeo the job month ago. He got here from St. John’s in September so it’s not his fault. He’s had #1 JUCO teams at 2 different schools as a head coach, recruited JUCO teams loaded with P5 talent, hit the portal every year there, had an NBA 1st round pick . He’s been a top 25 assistant by Rivals when he was at Providence and interviewed for the Fordham head job, St. John’s, UCF, Hofstra too. Steve Forbes was at the same JUCO before him and he did even better there. I think high level JUCO translates Forbes and Jans for example, still recruiting high level D1 talent there. The portal is the future, Jans would be top of my 2nd tier after I called guys like Marshall.

Wow… actually useful information for the niners board.

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

I don’t consider guys like Matta, Sean Miller, John Thompson, Archie Miller, Chris Mack or Turgeon as that realistic. I think a couple are probably done with coaching and the others will wait for a better job. I also think guys like the Murray St coach goes to the P5. Make the call but these are my personal tiers I do think are.

Tier 1
Gregg Marshall…enough of a black eye he’s in play and perfect fit with ties to the area/AAC.

Tier 2

-DeMeo…cheaper and in place, could hit the ground running. The Steve Forbes Model. He really checks all the boxes for me including knowledge of ECU. Recruited the portal hard even as a JUCO coach.

-Richie Riley…400k, he’s the proven portal recruiter. The results are solid enough, not spectacular but I see a blueprint here to succeed.

-Chris Jans…445k, won over multiple jobs now. Hammers the portal, former high level JUCO coach as well.

Tier 3

-Pat Kelsy…550k, he recruits the portal a little and knows the area.

-Eric Konkol…410k, wins at a job most similar in culture to ECU. Doesn’t recruit the portal

I want a guy that will attack the portal mainly. Anyone recruiting freshman now will probably be a farm team since they can leave for free. Transfers you essentially got once you get them since they have to sit out if they leave again supposedly. Guys like Riley at Furman don’t really so they would be much lower on my list.

Who said Beetlejuice!?

1 Like

tim burton way GIF

There are not many years where there will be 4 or 5 coaches on the market that were considered top 30 coaches with in just a year ago in Marshall, the Millers, Mack, and Turgeon. Most that have coached in this area/region at one point and are still in prime coaching age and not 70 years old or out of coaching for years. Some with black enough marks you could realistically get them potentially. This is the exact year you try to take a big swing IMO, especially with the floor candidates out there.

1 Like

You guys interested in a pack line expert?

Jayden Gardner is 6th in the ACC POY odds so I bet a Virginia guy would have got more out of him than Dooley did for 3 years. I really don’t care what style we play, just don’t have your 2nd or 3rd best player coming off the bench behind walk on’s and 12th men starting and much of the stupid crap I’ve seen the last 4 years.

I’ve watched a lot of Virginia this year and they really aren’t talented and without Gardner they would have no chance at all so I respect the system and what they are able to get out of most of their bums. I actually think there is a really good case for playing slow like Virginia simply because you limit your need for depth, players fouling, rest etc. Keep the games closer at least and give yourself a chance. Probably harder to recruit but the trade off makes logical sense especially at a school outside the P5 IMO.

Griff Aldrich heads into The Big Dance with a 26-6 overall record, 15-1 in conference including winning the Big South.

COMPLETE Turnaround at Longwood after four years (as referenced in my first post in this thread) and the guy makes $150k a year. I’d imagine someone will snatch him up at the end of this season. I’ll be watching his career closely, even more so if he miraculously ends up here.

anna faris christy GIF by mom

We would be recruiting an AAC coach, so this should get us an improved pool of former coaches whom have had good success and maybe let go in their next gig or just
run its course (Turgeon, Kennedy…)

Whats wojo up to?

Wojo and Turgeon are the first two guys that come to my mind too.