Power Five Autonomy

[quote=“TheGreenRanger, post:2, topic:28540”][font=helvetica neue][size=11px]If only our country was run like the NCAA! Then the number of votes you could cast would depend on how much money you contributed to the campaign. Sometimes what’s best for the whole is not dependent upon who brings in the most money.

This proposal is incredibly sexist and denies equal opportunity for female college athletes. If this is going to go down then let’s just call it what it is, semi-pro, and then tax the hell out of them just like any other big corporation.[/size][/font][/quote]

True, a scholarship would become taxable income. It is a mess….and the lawyers and unions will be the ones making the real money.

[quote=“Run49er, post:11, topic:28540”]Seemed like the most appropriate thread without starting a new one.

ESPN.com: Northwestern players get union vote[/quote]

This is either going to be the beginning of the end or the end of all the stipend talk. I’m guessing this is going to be overturned since players aren’t receiving real income. If that happens introducing stipends will only bring unions back into the discussion.

If unions are allowed then college sports will be seriously screwed.

glad Charlotte is in a right to work state.

If they are employees wouldn’t they be required to received W2 forms?[/quote]

If they are employees, the IRS will view every benefit they get as income, and it will all be taxable. Ironically, unless they are paid large stipends, they will have to get jobs to generate enough cash to cover the tax obligation on free $20k annual tuition and another $12k free room and board. Even if they can cover the tax burden, it will likely eat up the stipend.

Plus they will be subject to so called “right to work” statutes, drug tests, etc. I do wonder if the Northwestern football team has thought this through. I am not saying there should not be any compensation, but that appears to have been an exceptionally poor strategy.

I think the solution I posted above is a good compromise. It also defers the tax burden.

If they are employees, the IRS will view every benefit they get as income, and it will all be taxable. Ironically, unless they are paid large stipends, they will have to get jobs to generate enough cash to cover the tax obligation on free $20k annual tuition and another $12k free room and board. Even if they can cover the tax burden, it will likely eat up the stipend.

Plus they will be subject to so called “right to work” statutes, drug tests, etc. I do wonder if the Northwestern football team has thought this through. I am not saying there should not be any compensation, but that appears to have been an exceptionally poor strategy.

I think the solution I posted above is a good compromise. It also defers the tax burden.[/quote]

Currently any scholarship money beyond tuition and books is taxable income. Monies being used for room and board are already taxable. This would just make the tuition possibly taxable.

I think the solution I posted above is a good compromise. It also defers the tax burden.[/quote]

Good points, but remember these are all the private schools, I think the numbers would be double or even triple what you said, isn’t Duke up to 50K a year just for the tuition…

Interesting read.

Forbes.com: Northwestern Football Union Decision Should Mark The End Of The Student-Athlete

Good points, but remember these are all the private schools, I think the numbers would be double or even triple what you said, isn’t Duke up to 50K a year just for the tuition…[/quote] If the money is used for tuition, I don’t believe it is taxed. They would not need to be any different than graduate or teaching assistants that get paid to do research or teach. Their income that is taxed does not include the money used to cover tuition (at least I never had to pay taxes on that part of my compensation).

I think the real issue is that the universities and the NCAA know they’ll eventually have to give the athletes a cut of the huge money, if the union spreads nationwide (making them able to actually negotiate better conditions and pay on a more equal footing). I don’t know how that will eventually work out with Title 9 requirements and other issues, but I think it’s good to raise the question again about whether these athletes are really “student-athletes”. Everyone seems to nod and wink about that, but just look at Chapel Hill, where they went so far as to have fake classes so their athletes could remain eligible.

Good points, but remember these are all the private schools, I think the numbers would be double or even triple what you said, isn’t Duke up to 50K a year just for the tuition…[/quote]

Its actually a moot point. If it became taxable then in demand athletes would just ask for tuition + Stipend + X to cover taxes.

Ultimately the writing is on the wall that the charade that is college athletics will cease to exist within the next decade. What will happen? I am not quite sure, but it will be vastly different than what we have now.

It is like what Mark Cuban said about the NFL, “pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered”, which is what is happening to college athletics now. The funny thing is, if it becomes a true minor league, who is going to be that interested? No one watches minor league baseball, NBDL, or any other farm-type leagues, I imagine if you take away the collegiate affiliation no one will watch either.

The Diane Rehm radio show devoted an hour today to this subject.

Thedianerehmshow.com: Debate Over The Status Of Student-Athletes At Major Colleges And Universities

Latest…

ESPN.com: Panel: NCAA system must change

[quote=“Run49er, post:32, topic:28540”]Latest…

ESPN.com: Panel: NCAA system must change[/quote]

[font=verdana]“Barnhart pointed to the Olympic model.[/font]
[font=verdana]He said the organization changed from purely amateur athletes to today’s system where many, but not all, Olympians earn money without turning off fans.”[/font]

[font=verdana]With the Olympics a brand offers an endorsement for the true value of an endorsement. If college players start getting endorsement deals it’s going to get ridiculous and just becomes a valid excuse for alumni to throw $ at a player.[/font]

Sponsorships could be a disaster, and probably would be. It will boil down to, “sign with Oregon and Nike will sponsor you.”

Said it once, I’ll say it again:

If athletes want to get paid, fine. They don’t have the time to take a part-time job, even if they could without their employer having to answer questions from the NCAA. So, make being a student-athlete a part time job. Set up a time clock at the practice facility and at study hall.

If they’re in practice, in study hall, or playing a game, they’re on the clock. Set a flat base pay rate for all NCAA schools, and adjust it for the CoL in the campus’s location.

Done.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:35, topic:28540”]Said it once, I’ll say it again:

If athletes want to get paid, fine. They don’t have the time to take a part-time job, even if they could without their employer having to answer questions from the NCAA. So, make being a student-athlete a part time job. Set up a time clock at the practice facility and at study hall.

If they’re in practice, in study hall, or playing a game, they’re on the clock. Set a flat base pay rate for all NCAA schools, and adjust it for the CoL in the campus’s location.

Done.[/quote]Is there a limit to how much they can work? Is their income taxed? Is this on top of their scholarship? Is it for all athletes?

[quote=“J Felt, post:36, topic:28540”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:35, topic:28540”]Said it once, I’ll say it again:

Done.[/quote]Is there a limit to how much they can work? Is their income taxed? Is this on top of their scholarship? Is it for all athletes?[/quote] Their income would be taxed as long as it’s not used for legitimate educational expenses. I assume they could put limits on the allowable hours of work. The third question is a big one and I don’t know how that would work out with Title IX restrictions if not all athletes are paid.

If they are considered employees, then I’m not sure if Title IX applies. Might be a way around that. But then they open the universities up to disability compensation and negotiations for better pay that i’m not sure the NCAA could prohibit (if they are considered employees). Maybe it could work.

A monthly stipend provided from the NCAA to all athletes seems the best solution to me. In addition for violent sports the university should pay for insurance policies and I also think that athletes should be allowed to ask their respective professional leagues for a loan that can be deducted out of their future contract if the league approves. In addition - for basketball the colleges should implement a min 2 year stay. Who cares what the NBA wants - colleges tell kids if you come to play college ball you are here for 2 yrs.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:30, topic:28540”]Ultimately the writing is on the wall that the charade that is college athletics will cease to exist within the next decade. What will happen? I am not quite sure, but it will be vastly different than what we have now.

It is like what Mark Cuban said about the NFL, “pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered”, which is what is happening to college athletics now. The funny thing is, if it becomes a true minor league, who is going to be that interested? No one watches minor league baseball, NBDL, or any other farm-type leagues, I imagine if you take away the collegiate affiliation no one will watch either.[/quote]

Won’t all the colleges simply move to the D3 model and have no scholarships or assistance to avoid all this? Wouldn’t we still go to watch the niners? I don’t think it would be a “minor league” exactly. Hell most of the level of play in the NCAA is minor league anyway (from a level of play perspective) except for elite basketball and football teams and millions still go to watch their teams.

[quote=“Gassman, post:39, topic:28540”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:30, topic:28540”]Ultimately the writing is on the wall that the charade that is college athletics will cease to exist within the next decade. What will happen? I am not quite sure, but it will be vastly different than what we have now.

It is like what Mark Cuban said about the NFL, “pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered”, which is what is happening to college athletics now. The funny thing is, if it becomes a true minor league, who is going to be that interested? No one watches minor league baseball, NBDL, or any other farm-type leagues, I imagine if you take away the collegiate affiliation no one will watch either.[/quote]

Won’t all the colleges simply move to the D3 model and have no scholarships or assistance to avoid all this? Wouldn’t we still go to watch the niners? I don’t think it would be a “minor league” exactly. Hell most of the level of play in the NCAA is minor league anyway (from a level of play perspective) except for elite basketball and football teams and millions still go to watch their teams.[/quote]

I guess what I was trying to say is a lot of people support their schools athletics and enjoy attending games and have no expectation that the players are top level. They just enjoy the experience and enjoy watching them compete.