Pro Tennis

First of all, does anyone even care about tennis on this message board? As far as I know, I’m the only one.

If you don’t like it, I recommend giving it a shot. The French Open and Wimbledon are great for those long summer months when for a lot of us there isn’t crap to watch when it comes to sports.

Anyway, the tennis I’ve been seeing the past year or so has been some of the best tennis I’ve seen in a long time. Nadal vs Federer in Wimbledon was amazing and so has been much of the US Open. I expect the men’s final to be pretty damn good this time.

Anyone else been seeing this stuff?

First of all, does anyone even care about tennis on this message board? As far as I know, I'm the only one.

If you don’t like it, I recommend giving it a shot. The French Open and Wimbledon are great for those long summer months when for a lot of us there isn’t crap to watch when it comes to sports.

Anyway, the tennis I’ve been seeing the past year or so has been some of the best tennis I’ve seen in a long time. Nadal vs Federer in Wimbledon was amazing and so has been much of the US Open. I expect the men’s final to be pretty damn good this time.

hey Bust,

I’m a huge tennis fan. I’ve been playing ever since I was 11 and still play it till this day. I grew up idolizing the best of American tennis: Jim Courier, Pete Sampras, Michael Chang, and Andre Agassi. I love the history of tennis players and diggin up past footage on champions such as Borg, Laver, McEnroe, Conners, Lendl, Edberg, Graff, Evert etc.

I went to the US Open this year during Labor Day weekend. Watched some awesome matches from Del Potro, Bryan Brothers, Andreev, Mauresmo, Safina (I caught an autographed ball from her), and many many others. I try to make the US Open a yearly event and Labor Day weekend is the best time to go since you see the best matches. I usually get Grounds passes that lets you in all courts except Ashe. Most of the better matches are played on the Grandstand and Armstrong anyway.

I also went to the French Open this year and saw some semi final action with the two of the eventual champs, Nadal and Ivanovic. Roland Garros sucks compared to the environment at the Billie Jean National Tennis Center. I do like the main show court, Phillipe Chartrier, better than Arthur Ashe stadium.

The US OPEN finals will be interesting. Serena is on a surge this year. I think she’s committed as well as her sister to be back on the top of tennis. We need that in American tennis where we have no young stars to fill the void. Serena looks faster and fitter as she was in 2002. Her serve is more consistent and she’s match focused. I like Serena in 3 sets.

On the men’s side, as much as I hate Federer ( I respect him as a player but don’t want him to beat Pete’s record), he’s looking to win his 5th straight US Open against 1st Grand Slam finalist Andy Murray. Murray is on a surge. I watched him last year at the US Open and he was terrible. He lost in the 3rd round last year to Taik Lee in 4 sets. This year after dropping Gilbert (former Agassi coach) as his coach he’s done much better. He’s beating top players and getting deeper into tournaments. Murray’s gotten a lot more patience and knows when to go for his shots. That’s what he’s done this whole US Open: he’s been making opponent hit that extra shot to put him into position to make his winner. He lots more fit. It should be a good match but I like Federer in straight sets.

I miss Agassi

The US Open has been very good this year(even without Sharipova).

I’ll never forget that match when Michael Chang battled through cramps to beat Ivan Lendl in the French Open.

anyone remember that one?

Tennis is my favorite sport to watch, hands down. I’ve never played the game in my life, but I love watching it. Rafael Nadal is killer. I love his jams.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;338502]Tennis is my favorite sport to watch, hands down. I’ve never played the game in my life, but I love watching it. Rafael Nadal is killer. I love his jams.[/QUOTE]

haha Rafael Nadal kinda looks like Ralph Nader…

How about Sampras puking in the US Open and still winning. Ivanovic is very nice on the eyes. Apparently there are some good pics on a website of her (no, not lewd) but I haven’t looked for them. I heard the guys on the MSP talk about it one day.

[QUOTE=shagg49er;338538]haha Rafael Nadal kinda looks like Ralph Nader…[/QUOTE]

???

First of all, does anyone even care about tennis on this message board? As far as I know, I'm the only one.

huge tennis fan here. its all i watch. the fed/nadal match at wimbledon was one of the top 5 matches i’ve seen easy. probably top 3.

this years usopen has been pretty awesome to watch on the mens side. lots of good young players making names for themselves. fish/roddick with great/good showings. the womens game lost alot when henin retired at the top. pretty unfortunate. the williams sisters making deep runs, and serena winning (now #1), will draw some folks back in though.

next year should be lots of fun… hell tomorrow’s final should be pretty good to watch.

On the men's side, as much as I hate Federer ( I respect him as a player but don't want him to beat Pete's record)
That's the exact same as me! I'm always going on about how I don't want Fedrerer to win anymore because I don't want him to beat Pete's record. Pete is easily one of my favorite athletes of all time in any sport. I grew up watching him. Federer is a chump! haha A 37 year old Sampras held his own against Federer in two matches and won the third. Pete in his prime would've won all three!

Sadly, I do fear for Murray. Federer is looking pretty determined and I just don’t know if Murray can pull it out. But Murray did pretty damn well against Nadal and is looking quite impressive so it could go either way. Plus Murray is Scottish which doesn’t hurt. :biggrin:

That’s so cool that you’ve been the US Open so many times and the French Open. I’ve never been to a tourney. I need to go sometime. The US Open plus seeing NYC for the first time would be pretty fun I’m sure.

That's the exact same as me! I'm always going on about how I don't want Fedrerer to win anymore because I don't want him to beat Pete's record. Pete is easily one of my favorite athletes of all time in any sport. I grew up watching him. Federer is a chump! haha A 37 year old Sampras held his own against Federer in two matches and won the third. Pete in his prime would've won all three!

Sadly, I do fear for Murray. Federer is looking pretty determined and I just don’t know if Murray can pull it out. But Murray did pretty damn well against Nadal and is looking quite impressive so it could go either way. Plus Murray is Scottish which doesn’t hurt. :biggrin:

That’s so cool that you’ve been the US Open so many times and the French Open. I’ve never been to a tourney. I need to go sometime. The US Open plus seeing NYC for the first time would be pretty fun I’m sure.

Charlotte is holding a Tennis Event at the Palisades. You should definitely go. I went last year when McEnoroe and Courier were the feature matchups. This year they have Anna Kournikova headlining the event. :drools:

Nadal was worn down. Unless he changes his schedule, he’ll never win a US Open title. It’s just too much and too grueling of a year. You can’t expect to play in every tournament and do very well and be match fit enough for the US Open.

How about Sampras puking in the US Open and still winning. Ivanovic is very nice on the eyes. Apparently there are some good pics on a website of her (no, not lewd) but I haven't looked for them. I heard the guys on the MSP talk about it one day.

The Sampras vs. Alex Correjta match is one of my all time favorites, if not my all time favorite match ever. That made Pete Sampras a warrior instead of this “boring bland guy” the media made him out to be.