Proposed JW Clay Blvd Improvement Project

Still in the planning stages.

This project originated from the Northeast Corridor Infrastructure Program (NECI) planning effort. The project proposes to add sidewalks and bike lanes by widening parts of J.W. Clay Boulevard. Sidewalks are currently in place in some stretches of this street; however they will be upgraded to wider 8-foot sidewalks to meet transit guidelines. The roadway and median width may be adjusted to allow for the addition of bike lanes.

The conceptual cross section includes four travel lanes with left turn lanes, bike lanes, curb & gutter, sidewalk & planting strip and street trees. The project will include connectivity to the Barton Creek Greenway interface with JW Clay Boulevard.

[youtube]TMam2qv7mV8[/youtube]

It seems like half the businesses in University Place are closed, so it makes me wonder why they are spending money to make these changes, but perhaps with the Lync station and parking deck there they expect an uptick in traffic, and maybe business in the area. I hope so.

Yeah, hopefully we get some decent development besides auto malls and self storage places with the light rail coming up here.

I hope we’ll also see some of the parking lots on the box store side redeveloped with some street front shopping or residences. That shopping center remains our best chance at a go-to area. It has some decent components and with the right kind of redevelopment, it could be a great place.

[quote=“Nugget, post:2, topic:30321”]It seems like half the businesses in University Place are closed, so it makes me wonder why they are spending money to make these changes, but perhaps with the Lync station and parking deck there they expect an uptick in traffic, and maybe business in the area. I hope so.[/quote]There are plans for redevelopment along JW Clay. Mostly with national chain restaurants, but it should make it look / feel a little more urban. Plans haven’t been made public yet.

clt says the wider sidewalks are for wider butts.

I was at an alumni meeting in Raleigh in the mid 80s and they handed out packets with renderings for the University Place development. Since there was not much around campus in those days it was a pretty exciting concept. It was exciting to see that it was a public-private concept with the University providing research and planning assistance at a minimum. I assume that JW Clay Blvd is named for Jim Clay, my geography professor.

I think it is important for the University to continue to play a key role in development outside the boundaries of campus. I think we do, but more is better.

This could work if done correctly. I’d love to turn the area into a proper urban village.

Paused at :53 and The Rich is visible in the upper right corner. ;D

This email was sent to all faculty / staff at the university… U City Partners survey to see what sort of development people would be interested in. Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/UCityRes

University City Partners is working with several University City property owners to plan redevelopment of several properties at in the JW Clay transit station area. We are counting on your help(!) -- in requesting your organization’s employee team provide input into this planning effort via a short survey.

We want to get this as right as we can from the start…

This survey will help us understand the amount of residential and retail demand in the area, the types of housing people most want, and types of retailers they would be most likely to patronize. By asking about current shopping habits, we can begin to target other potential retailers they may want to patronize that complement existing habits. This will help serve the existing residents, employees and visitors better.

We are focused on making University City a place that people want to live in at all stages of life and anticipating those changing needs.

Please click the link for the survey and share with others that may be interested: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/UCityRes.

Questions?

Tobe Holmes, University City Partners

tholmes@universitycitypartners.org

704-688-2482

Really no need (unless they are required to) to widen JM Clay. They could slim the car lanes, which is one of the best traffic calming measures to entice walking and biking. A better alternative if they are going to expand the street is to make on-street parking along JM Clay to act as a buffer for the pedestrians, which would also reduce the need for the mass seas of parking elsewhere on site. This way you could get some real streetscape development along JM Clay instead of making it a car speedway shortcut between Harris and 29, which it will ultimately be.

Site plan for the redevelopment: