Purnell to DePaul

I wish I was kidding!!!

[b]goodmanonfox[/b] FOXSports.com has confirmed - per a source - that Clemson's Oliver Purnell has agreed to take the DePaul job. That one came out of nowhere

I posted Jeff Goodman’s tweet in the vacancies board, but this needs its own thread.

Unless Kesley is just working out details, will this affect our search for a new coach? Clemson shares a footprint with us, if they want someone we’re interested in they have the ACC nametag to add to the package. Thoughts?

Clemson won’t target the people we are most likely. They’ll think they’re a high profile destination, strike out a few times, then go after someone realistic. By then, we should have our coaching search wrapped up.

More info from Goodman’s blog:

Clemson coach Oliver Purnell is headed to DePaul.

According to a source close to the situation, the 56-year-old Purnell — who has led Clemson to three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances — was in Chicago on Monday.

Purnell has a 138-90 record in seven seasons at Clemson but has not won an NCAA tournament game.

In fact, Purnell is 0-6 in NCAA tournament appearances in his lengthy career, which includes nine seasons at Dayton, three at Old Dominion and three at Radford.

Purnell takes over a DePaul program in disarray — one that fired Jerry Wainwright in the middle of the season.

this is great news!

Hopefully clemson goes after Montgomery or some one that targets the deep south, and stays out of our back yard.

I don’t see this affecting our search process.

Larry Shyatt is available for the Tigers. Maybe this will keep him away from our search. Maybe the Observer will print that he is interested in the Clemson opening.

DAVE ODOM TO THE TIGERS!

wow, talk about keeping a candidate quiet.

That makes no since to me for Purnell. Depaul is awful and Clemson has become a fairly solid program. I wonder if he thought they were gonna run him off pretty soon.

Why?

Bobby Lutz to Clemson? Perfect fit. Close to home. He used to be an assistant coach at Clemson not too long ago. Stay tuned.

[quote=“Ruckus42, post:9, topic:22968”]That makes no since to me for Purnell. Depaul is awful and Clemson has become a fairly solid program. I wonder if he thought they were gonna run him off pretty soon.[/quote]Maybe he thought the DePaul job was a chance to leave the ACC and coach in the Big East. Or maybe… just maybe… DePaul will be paying him more.

Regardless, I’m sure this will have some ACC fans scratching their head saying it makes no sense to them. And DePaul does not even have football.

[quote=“wakeniner, post:11, topic:22968”]Bobby Lutz to Clemson? Perfect fit. Close to home. He used to be an assistant coach at Clemson not too long ago. Stay tuned.[/quote]Ok… You beat me to it… but barely. I was getting ready to post the same thing.

Depaul said they were willing to pay big, they probably overpaid Purnell. And Clemson is probably in NC State mode from a few years ago where they were tired of making NCAA tournaments so they weren’t interested in keeping their good coach around. Everyone knows that if you are in the ACC you should be in the Final Four at least every other year, the fan base won’t settle for less.

Average Clemson Fan.

“Basketball, what’s that?. When is the spring football game and who do we open against in the fall?”

No respect. That’s why Purnell is leaving.

He’s leaving for $. He was making about $1 million per at Clemson and now will probably make about $1.5. But I will LOL at this hire because all of the early comments DePaul made about paying top dollar for a top coach. This is your top coach?

This guy’s record at Clemson is less impressive than Bobby’s here. Didn’t make it past the first round once at Clemson.

I don’t really see that happening, though I would love for Bobby to get the gig. Bobby was a pretty successful commodity when they hired Purnell and he wasn’t considered. After this past season I can’t envision that changing.

Lutz to Clemson would make sense, but I completely agree with MK.

Purnell is leaving because of the 0-6. Make no mistake about it. Hot Seat + big contract elsewhere = no brainer.

Clemson will try to target the highest profile coach they can.

I think Purnell is to the point where he may believe he has done all he can do there with what he has to work with. It’s something I think Rick Barnes realized also. DePaul is not a step up, but if he can get the Chicago kids to stay home and play for him like Kennedy did, Purnell can make some noise there.

The Observer is reporting that Phil Ford and Dave Odom are the likely candidates for the Clempson job.