Random Thoughts

Eddie Basden – Best player, pound for pound, inch for inch, to ever don the green and white. I know Eddie personally, and can tell you that he is as good a guy off the court as he is on, and that says a ton! If you haven’t seen him play this year in person, make the trip to Memphis. He is more than worth the trip.

Jay Bilas – What a great friend to the Niner program! Not just because he says positive things about our program, Eddie, etc – but when/if he is in town, he is at OUR games. He is such a stalwart supporter of Bobby, and his basketball IQ and insight make Fowler, Digger, Vitale, all the more embarassing.

Lutz – You can count the better coaches in America on one hand. For us to have a basketball coach of his intelligence, preparation and ability… Just ask the other 12 C-USA programs that have changed head coaches since Bobby started at Charlotte (sans Huggins).

Curt – Has become the MAN that we wanted all year. If he wants to score, there is no one in C-USA that can stop him. I wouldn’t trade the tandum of him and Eddie for any pair in the country. Oh, and he will be back. Don’t ask him, he’s tired of the question already. The answer never changes.

ESPN – Vitale’s answer to the C-USA player of the year (Garcia), shows what little attention he pays to anything that’s not Pitino, Calipari, Duke, ACC, Kansas… Jay stood up for Eddie, while Fowler and Digger did the “you’re from Charlotte Jay” and “You sound like his agent Jay” crap. Just because we are ranked doesn’t mean we have made it. I would bet you Dick and Digger couldn’t name one starter at Pacific, but could tell you family background on any number of Duke bench warmers.

Observer – Best coverage ever. I know people still want more and more, but Jena has been a godsend. Stan and Leonard were great but were probably handcuffed a little in what they could get in the paper, but Mike P has let Jena run with the Niners, and our coverage (game and non-game day) and our front page photos after games have been excellent. I can appreciate many of the arguments Mike presents. Just as they are “Charlotte” hometown paper, they are not UNC Charlotte’s personal media outlet (but on certain days this year, they sure did become it). Kudos to all of the improvements from Jena and Mike.

Its been a GREAT YEAR!

Well said provider!

Great post, Provider.

[i]Originally posted by TheProvider[/i]@Feb 27 2005, 08:56 PM [b] Eddie Basden -- Best player, pound for pound, inch for inch, to ever don the green and white. I know Eddie personally, and can tell you that he is as good a guy off the court as he is on, and that says a ton! If you haven't seen him play this year in person, make the trip to Memphis. He is more than worth the trip.

Jay Bilas – What a great friend to the Niner program! Not just because he says positive things about our program, Eddie, etc – but when/if he is in town, he is at OUR games. He is such a stalwart supporter of Bobby, and his basketball IQ and insight make Fowler, Digger, Vitale, all the more embarassing.

Lutz – You can count the better coaches in America on one hand. For us to have a basketball coach of his intelligence, preparation and ability… Just ask the other 12 C-USA programs that have changed head coaches since Bobby started at Charlotte (sans Huggins).

Curt – Has become the MAN that we wanted all year. If he wants to score, there is no one in C-USA that can stop him. I wouldn’t trade the tandum of him and Eddie for any pair in the country. Oh, and he will be back. Don’t ask him, he’s tired of the question already. The answer never changes.

ESPN – Vitale’s answer to the C-USA player of the year (Garcia), shows what little attention he pays to anything that’s not Pitino, Calipari, Duke, ACC, Kansas… Jay stood up for Eddie, while Fowler and Digger did the “you’re from Charlotte Jay” and “You sound like his agent Jay” crap. Just because we are ranked doesn’t mean we have made it. I would bet you Dick and Digger couldn’t name one starter at Pacific, but could tell you family background on any number of Duke bench warmers.

Observer – Best coverage ever. I know people still want more and more, but Jena has been a godsend. Stan and Leonard were great but were probably handcuffed a little in what they could get in the paper, but Mike P has let Jena run with the Niners, and our coverage (game and non-game day) and our front page photos after games have been excellent. I can appreciate many of the arguments Mike presents. Just as they are “Charlotte” hometown paper, they are not UNC Charlotte’s personal media outlet (but on certain days this year, they sure did become it). Kudos to all of the improvements from Jena and Mike.

Its been a GREAT YEAR! [/b]

[b]CURT-... Oh, and he will be back. Don't ask him, he's tired of the question already. [/b]

Unless he would be drafted in the first round anywhere, in which case he would be gone. It would take an enormous NCAA run with monster games for him to be a first rounder so he will most likely be here next year. He will be a first round pick after his senior campaign, this I am certain of.

Otherwise, the rest of this post is dead on.

eddie is a great guy off the court, and the best player (besides Maxwell) charlotte has ever had, but if we make the final four this season eddie could take the top spot from maxwell as well, i hope he goes in the first round of the draft.

p.s. #13 will be retired and i will be there to cheer one last time for my favorite 49er!!! whoooooooooooooooo!!

When that jersey hits the rafters the Eddie chant will rise once again…

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi+Feb 27 2005, 09:31 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49erpi @ Feb 27 2005, 09:31 PM)

OH guys don’t forget Matt Dougherty. either. I know…I know…there are mixed emotions here, but Coach Doug. is a nice guy and he really loves our program too! If you got to hear him call our Memphis game, he did really well!

[b]Curt -- Has become the MAN that we wanted all year. If he wants to score, there is no one in C-USA that can stop him. I wouldn't trade the tandum of him and Eddie for any pair in the country. Oh, and he will be back. Don't ask him, he's tired of the question already. The answer never changes.[/b]

I was hoping to hear some “one more year” chants at Saturday’s game from the students. Sounds like they might not have been needed, though. I hope the ovation that Eddie, Plav, and Sager got made Curt want the same thing next year on Senior Day.

Curtis is not that stupid.

He can look at what happened to Josh Powell for proof…

Excellent post! Dead on. It has been an exceptional year in so many ways. Now, we have to finish strong.

[b]Pi, I'm not trying to start a fight.....but you say the rest of the post is dead on? I though you hated Lutz? Or is that someone else?[/b]

If you can show mw one post where I ever said I hated Lutz, I will give you my house.

I am not a fan of his behavior on the sidelines but I think I am not alone in that.

I was also critical of him early this year for playing Withers too much out on the perimeter, which has stopped and for trapping too much, which has also stopped.

Otherwisee I think he has done an excellent job this year.

I wouldn’t be against Curtis declaring, going to draft camp, and seeing what happens.
He deserves the opportunity to find out where he stands and what he needs to do without getthing shitted on by the fans.

I still presume he’d be back regardless unless what pi said happens.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Feb 28 2005, 10:57 AM [b] I wouldn't be against Curtis declaring, going to draft camp, and seeing what happens. He deserves the opportunity to find out where he stands and what he needs to do without getthing shitted on by the fans.

I still presume he’d be back regardless unless what pi said happens. [/b]

The only problem is, if he does that he can’t play on the Olympic team this summer like he did last summer. I hope he does that instead, it got him some great press and recognition and I bet the gold medal is pretty nice too. :smiley:

[i]Originally posted by TheProvider[/i]@Feb 27 2005, 08:56 PM [b]

[/b]

Vitale is just getting Pitino’s back. Piason (sp?). If you put their stats sheets side by side, it would be a no-brainer…EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!

Eddie Basden stats:
25 games
36 minutes per game
16.0 points per game
.519 field goal%
.420 3-point fg%
.733 FT%
8.4 rebounds per game
3.68 assists per game
3.36 steals per game
0.12 blocks per game
0 foul outs

Francisco Garcia stats
28 games
31.2 mpg
15.9 ppg
.452 fg%
.353 3-pt fg%
.856 FT%
4.6 rpg
3.82 apg
2.00 spg
1.43 bpg
5 foul outs

Good job, Run. I’m going to add a little to Garcia’s foul trouble because I think it’s significant;
5 fouls - @BYU 10pt win
4 fouls - @Chaminade 30pt win
5 fouls - @Florida 4pt win
5 fouls - @Houston 3pt loss
4 fouls - @Cincy 3pt win
4 fouls - vs ECU 51pt win :blink: :wacko:
4 fouls - @Tulane 36pt win
5 fouls - vs Cincy 7pt win
4 fouls - @UAB 4pt win
5 fouls - vs Memphis 17pt loss
4 fouls - @Marquette 3pt win
4 fouls - @Memphis 9pt win

That’s 12 games in foul trouble, 8 of those decided by 10 points or less. To me that is huge, you can’t be a lot to help your team if you’re in foul trouble. I think it’s impressive that Louisville has done so well without him.

BTW, Eddie has only had 2 games this season with 4 fouls (no foul outs) - LBSU (won by 29) & @Tulane (won by 19).