Rangers’ Molina gets a ring no matter what

[size=3]Rangers’ Molina gets a ring no matter what[/size] http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-molina102410

Talk about having your bases covered. [url=http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6026/]Bengie Molina[/url][url=http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6026/news](notes)[/url] would get a World Series championship ring regardless of whether the [url=http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/tex/]Texas Rangers[/url] or [url=http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/sfo/]San Francisco Giants[/url] win it all. He is about to become the first catcher in baseball history to appear in the Fall Classic against a team he played for earlier in the season.

Interesting.

And if the Giants can overcome Molina’s input and defeat the Rangers, [b]they’d award him a championship ring for his service the first half of the season[/b]. He might even get a winner’s share of the playoff cash pool regardless who wins. If so, he ought to accept the spoils. That’s part of the game, too.

Why? He wasn’t there when they overcame the Rockies and Padres to win the division, so why would they give him a ring? He’s no more a part of their postseason success than any of the Giants’ minor leaguers. An even better question is why would he even want it?

[quote=“X-49er, post:2, topic:24158”]

And if the Giants can overcome Molina’s input and defeat the Rangers, they’d award him a championship ring for his service the first half of the season. He might even get a winner’s share of the playoff cash pool regardless who wins. If so, he ought to accept the spoils. That’s part of the game, too.

Why? He wasn’t there when they overcame the Rockies and Padres to win the division, so why would they give him a ring? He’s no more a part of their postseason success than any of the Giants’ minor leaguers. An even better question is why would he even want it?[/quote]

I don’t really know the reason of the trade. But if you played well for a team that traded you before the trade deadline and that team went on to win the world series, I’d be a bit sour. Unless I demanded the trade, then I’d just be kicking myself.

If my former team is gonna give me a ring and some $$$$… I’m okay with that.

Better than Adam Morrison having rings…lol.

What the article fails to mention, is that WS rings and money is voted on - if I remember correctly. They sometimes give rings to janitors, clubhouse guys, etc. Anyone they feel like helped. So he could be easily left off, but it sounds like he is well liked by the Giants.

[quote=“cibik02, post:3, topic:24158”][quote=“X-49er, post:2, topic:24158”]

And if the Giants can overcome Molina’s input and defeat the Rangers, they’d award him a championship ring for his service the first half of the season. He might even get a winner’s share of the playoff cash pool regardless who wins. If so, he ought to accept the spoils. That’s part of the game, too.

Why? He wasn’t there when they overcame the Rockies and Padres to win the division, so why would they give him a ring? He’s no more a part of their postseason success than any of the Giants’ minor leaguers. An even better question is why would he even want it?[/quote]

I don’t really know the reason of the trade. But if you played well for a team that traded you before the trade deadline and that team went on to win the world series, I’d be a bit sour. Unless I demanded the trade, then I’d just be kicking myself.

If my former team is gonna give me a ring and some $$$$… I’m okay with that.[/quote]

I would be upset that the Giants felt they were good enough to win without me, and then on the other hand they are telling me that I was instrumental in getting them there. ??? If you thought that the player was helping you win and that you did not think you could win without him, you never would have traded him. Regardless, I wouldn’t want the ring if I wasn’t still part of that team. Injured players and players that got left off the 25-man roster who don’t participate in postseason play are different from those that were traded or released. Molina was no longer part of that team after June 30th, and had nothing to do with their run over the last 4 months. This may just be a case of a writer finding something quirky to write a story about.

[quote=“cibik02, post:3, topic:24158”][quote=“X-49er, post:2, topic:24158”]

Better than Adam Morrison having rings…lol.[/quote]

He was traded so that Buster Posey could become the full-time starter at catcher. I’d say that worked out pretty well for us. We didn’t really start looking like a serious team that could get to the postseason and make a run until that move was made. I understand why he would get a ring if we win it all but he wouldn’t really deserve it since he didn’t do much to get us to where we are.

[quote=“SteauA, post:6, topic:24158”][quote=“cibik02, post:3, topic:24158”][quote=“X-49er, post:2, topic:24158”]

Better than Adam Morrison having rings…lol.[/quote]

He was traded so that Buster Posey could become the full-time starter at catcher. I’d say that worked out pretty well for us. We didn’t really start looking like a serious team that could get to the postseason and make a run until that move was made. I understand why he would get a ring if we win it all but he wouldn’t really deserve it since he didn’t do much to get us to where we are.[/quote]

Agree that they couldn’t let Posey sit behind Molina so the trade was made, but I disagee that he doesn’t deserve a ring. You think Posey would have had the same type of year if he started the season in the bigs? Who knows? Molina was a temporary solution until Posey was ready. I am sure he helped Posey out in getting him ready to be the everyday catcher. He played his role so he deserves a ring. Hell, he played in more games and had more AB’s for the Giants this year than he had for the Rangers.

Dude was hitting cleanup some pre trade, so he clearly earned something.

Funny thing is he will get a full share from Texas and a partial share from the Giants. If Texas wins he really wins.

[quote=“s9er, post:8, topic:24158”]Dude was hitting cleanup some pre trade, so he clearly earned something.

Funny thing is he will get a full share from Texas and a partial share from the Giants. If Texas wins he really wins.[/quote]All about the Benjamins.

[quote=“s9er, post:8, topic:24158”]Dude was hitting cleanup some pre trade, so he clearly earned something.
Funny thing is he will get a full share from Texas and a partial share from the Giants. If Texas wins he really wins.
[/quote][b]

As a Giants fan I can tell you that hitting clean-up for us doesn’t really mean anything (until Buster Posey arrived of course).[/b]

[quote=“SteauA, post:10, topic:24158”][quote=“s9er, post:8, topic:24158”]Dude was hitting cleanup some pre trade, so he clearly earned something.
[/quote][b]

As a Giants fan I can tell you that hitting clean-up for us doesn’t really mean anything (until Buster Posey arrived of course).[/b][/quote]

I don’t disagree… I think you be hard pressed to find a more unlikely cleanup hitter over the past 50 years. Posey and Burrel really helped.