Ranking the best bball programs in each state

UNH is FCS…so you’re right. I don’t know about fairbanks.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;339589]UNH is FCS…so you’re right. I don’t know about fairbanks.[/QUOTE]

did research… I was thinking Anchorage, surprisingly DII even at 17,000 students. The Great Alaska Shootout threw me off a bit, esp. since their women have won the last two tourneys.

based on how long the “recent past” actually is I would say it really matters- if you are going to say all time then

UNC
Duke
State
Charlotte
Davidson
Wake

if you say the last five years then
Duke
UNC
Davidson
State
Charlotte/Wake

State was only terrible last year, the year before that they had a twenty win season and before that they had gone to like seven straight NCAA’s you can’t just throw them under the bus in one/two seasons

State was only terrible last year,
Actually, they've been pretty bad for most of the past 25 years. They played in the now defunct play-in game of the acc tournament almost every year. They even nicknamed the game after the State coach at the time......... the Les Robinson Invitational.
Actually, they've been pretty bad for most of the past 25 years. They played in the now defunct play-in game of the acc tournament almost every year. They even nicknamed the game after the State coach at the time......... the Les Robinson Invitational.

True Robinson was terrible when they were recovering from the Valvano fallout- but when Sendek takes you to the tournament perenially then you can’t be considered below some of the teams on the list- for a team that has won a couple of national titles and who has made the sweet sixteen in the last 5 or 6 years, then its tough to say that we are better than them

I never really wrapped my head around how bad the ECU team was but somebody was telling me that they only had like 3 twenty win seasons in their history and that they had made the tournament only once and got trounced- how can that be possible?

ALL TIME-

UNC
DUKE
NC STATE
WAKE/CHARLOTTE
DAVIDSON

PAST 5 YEARS

DUKE
UNC
DAVIDSON
WAKE (very close with Charlotte)
CHARLOTTE
NC STATE

Davidson’s run in the Elite 8 tops us. Wake Forest was ranked #1 in the country in 2004 and went to the sweet 16 in 2003. All of these programs made it to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA’s once during the past 5 years except us. Something that we haven’t done in a very long time.

Davidson has been to multiple E8s.

Hate to say it but…

UNC
DUKE
STATE
WAKE
CHARLOTTE
DAVIDSON

Why are people putting us ahead of Wake and/or State in any list? State beat our best team in years in the 1st round of the NCAA a few seasons ago, and up until Lowe, they had several strong teams that went deep in the Tourney. The same goes for Wake. What has Charlotte really done in the post season that ranks us ahead of either of those programs? We’ve been to a final four decades ago, but so have they. Last season we were probably better overall, but that has not consistently been the norm. Anyone who tries to argue that our program has a better history than Wake or State is fooling themself.

6th…

1. NORTH CAROLINA - In the past four years, UNC has won 3 ACC regular season titles, 2 conference tournaments, advanced to 2 Final Fours, and won a National Championship. Not bad.

2. DUKE - In most other states, Duke would be the run away top program… but UNC happens to be in the middle of a nice run. Still, the Blue Devils have reached the Sweet Sixteen in 8 of the last 11 years.

3. DAVIDSON - Bob McKillop’s teams have long dominated the Southern Conference. The Wildcats have finished 1st or 2nd in the conference in 12 of 13 seasons, including at least 10 league wins in those 12 years. But last year, the program reached another level by advancing to the Elite Eight.

4. WAKE FOREST - For obvious reasons, the past few seasons have been disappointing for the Wake community. But most fans are expecting a return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2005, and perhaps the Deacons’ first Sweet Sixteen trip since 2004.

5. NORTH CAROLINA STATE - For whatever reasons, NC State was never satisfied with Herb Sendek even though he took over a program struggling under Les Robinson, and led them to five straight NCAA Tournaments from 2002 to 2006. Sidney Lowe will most likely end his 3rd season without a Tournament bid, though next year’s recruiting haul is impressive.

[B][COLOR=green]6. CHARLOTTE - From 1995 to 2005, the 49ers made the Big Dance in 8 of 11 seasons. In the last three years since joining the A10, there’s just been a pair of NIT selections. This year’s team should once again be in the postseason mix.[/COLOR][/B]

1. UNC WILMINGTON - Ever since Jerry Wainright took over in 1995, UNCW has been one of the most consistent teams in the CAA. From 2000 to 2006, UNCW made 4 NCAA Tournaments. Third year coach Benny Moss will have to probably wait until at least 2010 for his first postseason trip.

2. APPALACHIAN STATE - Houston Franchar’s 8 year tenure at App State has been solid, but he’s still looking for that elusive NCAA Tournament appearance. In 2007, the Mountaineers did make the NIT after finishing the regular season with an RPI of 65.

3. UNC ASHEVILLE - Coming off one of the program’s better seasons (19 D1 wins, and a conference finals trip), the Bulldogs should struggle once again in 2009. UNCA did make the Tourney in 2003, coming out of nowhere to win the Big South after a sub-par regular season.

4. UNC GREENSBORO - The Spartans knocked off Georgia Tech early last year on their way to a solid 19-win season. It was their best campaign since 2002, when they reached the NIT a year after losing to Stanford in the Big Dance.

5. HIGH POINT - Considering the program is barely a decade old at the D1 level, High Point’s limited success is actually impressive. In both 06 & 07, the Panthers were a Top 200 RPI team, something that very few programs in the state can claim. 2009 should be the 4th season in a row with a finish of .500 or better in the Big South.

6. GARDNER-WEBB - The Bulldogs join the Big South this year, after less than a decade in the A-Sun. Except for a disappointing 2007 campaign, the program has actually been respectable recently.

7. ELON - 2006 was arguably the high-water mark in Elon history. The Phoenix shocked Clemson, and finished 10-4 in the Southern Conference. Last year, despite a mediocre regular season, Elon surprised many by reaching the conference title game.

8. EAST CAROLINA - While ECU has had some success on the football field, the hardcourt is another story. In the last two years, the Pirates have won just 12 D1 games and even lost to an NAIA squad last December.

9. WESTERN CAROLINA - In the last decade, WCU hasn’t finished above .500 in the Southern Conference, and their top RPI finish is 230th.

10. CAMPBELL - The Camels lone NCAA Tournament came in 1992. The next one might be years away… Campbell hasn’t even reached .500 in the Atlantic Sun since 2000. There is at least some hope for respectability in 2009 thanks to star Jonathan Rodriguez.

11. NORTH CAROLINA A&T - From 03 to 06, A&T was one of the worst teams in the country. The team has at least been competitive in the MEAC the past two years, but its still the MEAC…

12. WINSTON-SALEM STATE - The Rams improved in their 2nd season at the top level, winning an impressive 11 D1 games. The team should be good enough in 2009 to perhaps knock off their first Top 200 team.

13. NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL - The Eagles transition to D1 started slowly with a 4-26 record last year.

Link: [B][URL=http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/state-03908-north-carolina-108011][COLOR=#004c26]State of '08: North Carolina[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

3. DAVIDSON -
I assume you are only referring to last year. Am I correct.
I assume you are only referring to last year. Am I correct.

This isnt my list, this is collegehoops.net’s list.

Mine would have Charlotte at 3 or 4, and Davidson at 19 :slight_smile:

ouch

yeah, there are some Memphis fans out there who would have a field day with this.

This isnt my list, this is collegehoops.net's list.

Mine would have Charlotte at 3 or 4, and Davidson at 19 :slight_smile:

That’s what I thought. I just wanted to make sure you had not fallen and hit your head.

yeah, there are some Memphis fans out there who would have a field day with this.
Yea............... but I think some of them are probably behind bars by now.

What time frame are these rankings based off? Overall? Past decade?

[QUOTE=austinniner;347243]yeah, there are some Memphis fans out there who would have a field day with this.[/QUOTE]

Mempiss fans can’t say nothing now. After I seen how much whining went on over there, all you have to say is.

OCS

On Campus Stadium!

[QUOTE=NewNiner;339630]I never really wrapped my head around how bad the ECU team was but somebody was telling me that they only had like 3 twenty win seasons in their history and that they had made the tournament only once and got trounced- how can that be possible?[/QUOTE]

I remember going to the Charlotte @ ECU games each year when I was in school…we’d meet up with some friend of ours that went to ECU. At the game my Charlotte friend and I would look around a say (with fake admiration) “WOW! Look at all your banner!” :lmao:

What time frame are these rankings based off? Overall? Past decade?

From the article:

This won’t be a ranking based on next year’s projected success, but will be a general program ranking based on recent success (the last five years) along with subjective factors of my choosing.

The most amazing thing I have seen was two weeks ago in the USA todays rankings; South Florida, was ranked higher than Miami, Florida and Florida State in football.

I am sorry, but that is incredible, who would of ever believed that 10 yrs ago.

I’m calling it now, in ten years the Charlotte 49ers football team will be ranked higher than Wake, NC STATE, ECU and Crapel Hole. :biggrin: