Reality, what a concept

I’m not on the “Fire Price” train… I’m just on the “Start Winning Fucking Games” train.

I think Price is hamstrung with a garbage league. It also doesn’t help that the program he is selling last went to the NCAA tournament when kids he is recruiting were in the 1st or 2nd grade… They just finished filling diapers the last time we won an NCAA game… The hand is stacked against him… That begin said, sign someone over 6-4 please.

You know what… Judy is 100% correct on “managing expectations” she has overseen the systematic dismantling of the program to the point where getting routed by a terrible Rice team should be acknowledged as an expected result. We could have Coach K or Steve O coaching the team, it wouldn’t matter as long as JR and CHP are content with letting the body decompose

No, definitely not. However…

2018 would be a good time, because if Price does need to be fired that could fit in perfectly with bringing in a new chancellor, AD, etc.

Definitely hope Price doesn’t need to be fired, but if he does, the timing could work out well.[/quote]2 points: I think Price gets it turned around for us and I do not want Phil hiring our next AD. Judy needs to stay at least long enough that CHP does not hire our next AD

I want to bump this up again. I am see rumblings of firing Assistants, maybe Price should step down, step backward from last year etc…

see original post, NEVER ever lower your expectations for CLT, just the time frame. Last year we were lucky to have one of the best rebounders in the nation on our team.

our defense is terrible and we have no ballers underneath, what did you expect? that comes next, we are set with scoring for the next 2 years (if everyone stays) and now focus on bigs.

I have bought in and want to see the end product after 4 years

[quote=“elvis, post:23, topic:30721”]I want to bump this up again. I am see rumblings of firing Assistants, maybe Price should step down, step backward from last year etc…

see original post, NEVER ever lower your expectations for CLT, just the time frame. Last year we were lucky to have one of the best rebounders in the nation on our team.

our defense is terrible and we have no ballers underneath, what did you expect? that comes next, we are set with scoring for the next 2 years (if everyone stays) and now focus on bigs.

I have bought in and want to see the end product after 4 years[/quote]shouldn’t take four years to build a basketball program.

Shouldn’t be impossible to find big men when you have all the minutes in the game to offer.

Alan Major, a no name nobody got us big bodies. Price’s recruiting so far has been pretty pathetic. Davis is amazing, QJ looks like he may be pretty good, White is average. Nobody else is worth a damn.

deservedly or not, major brought a rep of being a big-man-developer. price’s rep: a shooter and a developer of shooters. who do you think will be their “natural” recruits?
i believe price & co. will be able to get a quality big here in the foreseeable future. what it will take is to demonstrate that the perimeter play is fairly-well in place…“now we need YOU!” i think we’re there, or mighty close. thorne fell into our lap. i don’t expect that to happen again. but one guy like him–we home!

Agree, Major was a main recruiter at a Big 10 School. Focused on Big’s and could ID with them, but I was thinking more in terms of Big Joe not Thorne. Everyone needs to accept…It’s going to take a while!!! can’t be solved in 2 years. Let’s give a coach we believe in a chance. I am sick of being the “almost” school, almost beat UNC in the Tourney, almost Beat NCSU in the Tourney, etc etc etc we seem to always get close but never close the deal. Price is our man, accept it, he will be here until Price takes us to 2 straight NCAA’s with a run to 16! because after that he will be at GT and I can’t blame him and will thank him. But we will have an established program that can build off that… if we can’t shame on us

[quote=“earlyniner, post:25, topic:30721”]deservedly or not, major brought a rep of being a big-man-developer. price’s rep: a shooter and a developer of shooters. who do you think will be their “natural” recruits?
i believe price & co. will be able to get a quality big here in the foreseeable future. what it will take is to demonstrate that the perimeter play is fairly-well in place…“now we need YOU!” i think we’re there, or mighty close. thorne fell into our lap. i don’t expect that to happen again. but one guy like him–we home![/quote] Major recruited some good guards too, though not so many good shooters.
I think the problems with recruiting bigs is going to be especially difficult for Price because most of the post players we get require several years to develop. He basically has this year to land some standout post players if they are going to be big contributors by year 5. Unless we get someone ready to go in year one (someone like Braswell maybe?), then we’re left renewing his contract without ever seeing a complete team. The coaches have put themselves in a tough spot.

Just out of curiosity, I went back to look at Jeff Mullins’ time here because there seem to be some parallels. He came in during a down period for Niners’ hoops and in his third season the team made the NCAA, followed by an NIT. Then followed by two mediocre seasons, with losing conference records before returning to the NCAA. His last season was a losing season…

My point being is that Coach Price came into a terrible situation and managed to get this team a .500 season in conference, and made the team competitive despite having to start almost from scratch. The problem for me is that he raised my expectations for this season, which has been somewhat disappointing so far.

While I’m not expecting the NCAA tourney in year three, this conference wasn’t nearly as good as what Mullins had in the the old Sun Belt and Metro, I have to be patient when I account for how fall it all has fallen. To me, it doesn’t matter how or why we got Mark Price, I’m thrilled he’s here, I’m excited still by what I think he can ultimately do for 49er Basketball, I remind myself that he’s only been here 18 months…

Just my two cents

Mullins had the personnel piece figured out… he brought in a successful HS coach from Raleigh (Billerman sp?) and a modern recruiter who was connected throughout the state of NC and a very good scout of talent…they filled in the gaps quickly with scoring JC bigs and brought in some really good players from in state early. Mullins definately had a personnel plan!

LOVED Mullins. He resurrected our program and was always a class act. Got us to the Dance, but sadly we didn’t win once we got there. :frowning:

[quote=“gsuncc, post:28, topic:30721”]While I’m not expecting the NCAA tourney in year three, this conference wasn’t nearly as good as what Mullins had in the the old Sun Belt and Metro, I have to be patient when I account for how fall it all has fallen. To me, it doesn’t matter how or why we got Mark Price, I’m thrilled he’s here, I’m excited still by what I think he can ultimately do for 49er Basketball, I remind myself that he’s only been here 18 months…

Just my two cents[/quote]

The Old Sun Belt was not markedly better than where we are now and some of the teams are the same. Now the METRO was absolutely better.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:32, topic:30721”][quote=“gsuncc, post:28, topic:30721”]While I’m not expecting the NCAA tourney in year three, this conference wasn’t nearly as good as what Mullins had in the the old Sun Belt and Metro, I have to be patient when I account for how fall it all has fallen. To me, it doesn’t matter how or why we got Mark Price, I’m thrilled he’s here, I’m excited still by what I think he can ultimately do for 49er Basketball, I remind myself that he’s only been here 18 months…

The Old Sun Belt was not markedly better than where we are now and some of the teams are the same. Now the METRO was absolutely better.[/quote]

I’d take another Metro conference lineup in a heartbeat. Was proud to be a part of it.
Louisville, Tulane (when they were good), USM, VaTech, USF, VCU and us.

LOVED Mullins. He resurrected our program and was always a class act. Got us to the Dance, but sadly we didn’t win once we got there. :([/quote]
Mullins’ teams just had bad luck. Jarvis Lang was injured 1 year, then another year they went to the dance and our point guard, Delano Johnson I think, got Mono and couldn’t play in the tourney. That kid was slippery in the paint and set Lang and Williams up.

[quote=“gsuncc, post:28, topic:30721”]While I’m not expecting the NCAA tourney in year three, this conference wasn’t nearly as good as what Mullins had in the the old Sun Belt and Metro, I have to be patient when I account for how fall it all has fallen. To me, it doesn’t matter how or why we got Mark Price, I’m thrilled he’s here, I’m excited still by what I think he can ultimately do for 49er Basketball, I remind myself that he’s only been here 18 months…

Price has to win some recruiting battles for some bigs soon. I love that he brings a level of name recognition, and professional contacts to the position, but he is going to need to fill out a complete team very soon. I know the program has fallen a mighty long way, but that was the job when he took it. He has got to get the talent in here at the 4 and 5 positions to compete, or else the good guards that we have will begin to get frustrated and they will start to leave. As much as we think these kids now a days only think about getting themselves to the next level, and their own numbers, these kids get tired of losing too. It will be only so much they will be able to take also. So, I’m behind Price 100%, but he needs to start to make it happen on the recruiting trail.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:32, topic:30721”][quote=“gsuncc, post:28, topic:30721”]While I’m not expecting the NCAA tourney in year three, this conference wasn’t nearly as good as what Mullins had in the the old Sun Belt and Metro, I have to be patient when I account for how fall it all has fallen. To me, it doesn’t matter how or why we got Mark Price, I’m thrilled he’s here, I’m excited still by what I think he can ultimately do for 49er Basketball, I remind myself that he’s only been here 18 months…

The Old Sun Belt was not markedly better than where we are now and some of the teams are the same. Now the METRO was absolutely better.[/quote] I think the Old Sun Belt was markedly better than this year’s CUSA, mainly because I don’t think the bottom of the old conference was quite as bad. There were fewer teams back then, so even though the Sun Belt was one of the poorer conferences, it just didn’t have teams that were as bad as the bottom of this conference. I do think CUSA can get better than this, so the potential is slightly better, which might make recruiting a little easier.