Really great Green/White game

Man, having Eddie and Curtis on the same team was just wrong. Is there any doubt those are our best two players?

1. Why does the scrimmage get shorter and shorter each year?

2. We have more JV cheerleaders than most high schools have football players!

3. Will Marcus Bennett surpass Prentice Woods’ team record for most games on the bench without ever playing?

I just can’t wait to see those two in a real game. It seems like the guys game was over before it started, but there were some great moments. I really like the low # of 3 pts as opposed to last year.

God, I wish Bennett could play, the other two guards really looked uncomfortable handling the ball.

We don’t have any pretty boys, so it surely isn’t for beauty sleep.
Nothing but beasts out there. Especially Curtis and Eddie.
I think I’m going to like what EJ brings off the bench.

The alley-oop between Eddie and Curtis was disgusting. I about jumped through the roof when that happened.

Goldwire and Lewis will get there. Nance had a nice mid-range touch (but so did Calvin… in scrimmages).

Isn’t Martin a bit tall to be in a slam dunk contest? Missed dunk… more of the freakin’ same. Thanks for nothing, NBA Draft Camp.

It’s gonna be a great year, boys and girls. Can’t wait.

How about that Amish half jump hook Iti had going?
Boy it’d be nice if Bennett was out there this season.

I enjoyed the game as well, but it was just too short. I also noticed the low number of treys taken. Eddie and Curtis are just straight up ballers. De’Angelo was guarding BP pretty close so he didn’t throw up but a couple of shots. Chris Nance was pretty impressive. I believe he will offer us some quality minutes while Martin is on the bench. He could possibly be an upgrade from Calvin Clemmons, but I might hold my tongue until I see him play some more. I have faith that Mitch will hold down the starting pg spot for the whole year. I hope that Martin has more than the little hook shot in his arsenal. He could be a real threat if he wanted to be and had a good teacher. I saw Sager snipe one in from the land of plenty. It would be nice if he comes back to his form from two years ago. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the team and the cohesion. I am looking forward to this season and have high expectations. GO NINERS!!!

I was impressed with the guys, other than the sloppiness which can be expected in a game like that. We’ve got some major D-I players and more overall talent than I can ever remember.

Eddie and Curtis are big time players! I can see giving the ball to Eddie when the game’s on the line. He’ll score or get fouled. He out-muscled and blew by his defender on many occassions. Curtis looks so confident.

Iti is leaner and more agile. He hit his first jump hook but then short-armed the next several.

I liked what i saw from Nance. Much more athletic and longer arms than I expected. Not as bulky. Should make a difference even if he doesn’t score.

Goldwire and Lewis were stronger than I expected. Solid “little” guys. Goldwire was stroking the 3 and I believe Lewis hit one. Didn’t see enough to tell about ballhandling.

Plavich missed his 3’s as he has done pretty much at every MM he’s been in. Definitely lost some of the excess weight.

De’Angelo Alexander looked very good. He’s a strong 6-4 to 6-5 player. Can score in traffic and shoot the three some. I look forward to seeing him next year.

I’ll reserve judgement on the new guys after seeing them play when it counts. You just can’t accurately assess what these guys can do during an 8 minute scrimmage against their own teammates. We’ll have a much better idea of where they all stand after a couple regular season games but I did see some promising things from them.

Not much to say about the returning guys that we don’t already know. I liked Iti’s presence out there. Seemed to appear more natural on the court whereas last year, there were times where he looked lost. If he can get that jump hook down, it will be an unstoppable weapon to have. Withers/Basden were phenomonal as always…agree that they’re our best (most complete) two players without a doubt. I’m not going to come down on Plavich too much for a loose-played exhibition but two of the 4 bombs he took last night were terrible shots. My issue with him isn’t so much if they go in but the shot selection in itself. Hopefully we won’t see him taking to many 30 footers with a defender in his face. Those usually equate to a long rebound that goes to the other team.

Overall, I was pleased with what I saw but you can’t really take away too much from such a short event. Will be curious to see how they look at the exhibition when it’s a little more organized out there.

By the way…where were all the 49er Club people??? I know it was a late night and rather chilly out but I figured more than 15 people would show up for the pizza/beer get-together. Kind of disappointed in the turnout but oh well…

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Oct 16 2004, 11:19 AM [b] By the way...where were all the 49er Club people??? I know it was a late night and rather chilly out but I figured more than 15 people would show up for the pizza/beer get-together. Kind of disappointed in the turnout but oh well... [/b]
I was disappointed in all that as well. Who had a curfew last night?

I was impressed with the athleticism of the team. Plavich has lost a lot of weight. Nance will help more than we are expected I believe. I like Goldwire and Drayton could be a surprise factor. Talked with Mitchell, I think he’s ready to become a leader.

As for Eddie and Curtis… save that pass and dunk for a real game, incredible!

OT: Kummer had talked to Melvin earlier Friday, says he is enjoying things so far at Mizzou and is looking forward to becoming a top dog again one day.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Oct 16 2004, 10:19 AM [b] By the way...where were all the 49er Club people??? I know it was a late night and rather chilly out but I figured more than 15 people would show up for the pizza/beer get-together. Kind of disappointed in the turnout but oh well... [/b]
We were also disappointed in the turnout at the pizza gathering. jcl, you should have dropped by to say hello (& the official turnout was closer to 30). We talked with HP & Lefty for a while before heading down to find a seat.

I think this is going to be a very good team & I was impressed with the new players. Once you overlook the expected sloppiness of an event like this, there are many positives. The people I’ve spoken with that are very close to the program are very excited about this year’s team.

Quick comment about the slam dunk contest. For those of you expressing disappointment in the missed dunks, remember that this contest was all about “STYLE”. I hope we do NOT see similar dunks attempted in a real game.

GO NINERS!!!

B)

Matt Hanline’s dunk (the one where he rolled the ball) would have been amazing if he had gotten it on the first try.

The team looks strong this year and we have some depth. I hope Nance can hit that 10footer in games!!

Was I just tired, or was there less “energy” in the building for this MM? I wish someone would keep the contests moving a little quicker. People actually appeared bored during the Player’s Slam Dunk contest.

A little team chemistry and no injuries could lead to an exciting season.

Gotta love EJ’s fan club in the stands. Hope they come to the games.

Go Niners

[i]Originally posted by BigTimeNiner[/i]@Oct 16 2004, 12:50 PM [b] The team looks strong this year and we have some depth. I hope Nance can hit that 10footer in games!!

Was I just tired, or was there less “energy” in the building for this MM? I wish someone would keep the contests moving a little quicker. People actually appeared bored during the Player’s Slam Dunk contest.

A little team chemistry and no injuries could lead to an exciting season.

Gotta love EJ’s fan club in the stands. Hope they come to the games.

Go Niners [/b]

My thoughts exactly.

We looked strong & with the depth, I won’t be surprised if we try to run all we can. I wonder if the format for MM may have led to less energy. If the men are gonna scrimmage for only 8 minutes, at least stop the clock when it should be stopped. Also, how about more pep band & less of that crappy noise they kept playing over the PA system.

[b]OT: Kummer had talked to Melvin earlier Friday, says he is enjoying things so far at Mizzou and is looking forward to becoming a top dog again one day. [/b]

What is Kummer position/role? The same as Dee’s?

[i]Originally posted by BigTimeNiner[/i]@Oct 16 2004, 12:50 PM [b] Was I just tired, or was there less "energy" in the building for this MM? I wish someone would keep the contests moving a little quicker. People actually appeared bored during the Player's Slam Dunk contest. [/b]
I thought the same thing about the crowd. Last year when me, Adam Smasher, and the Gang green guy judged, we were standing up and waving our scorecards around. People were into it. They also handed out the scores cards to people. Also, why not play music and use the spotlight as the guy prepares his dunk? Get the other players involved. Be creative. Not stupid like UNC Chapel Hill but more creative.

We managed to get on the front row right across from the team. The only person we coudl hear clearly was Bobby. I think people try to scream into it and it comes out muffled.

I saw at least two prospects in the house. I assume they were Coleman and Jamison. Mullis was also there.

I guess Kummer is back on board. THey announced him with the coaches. I assume he’s the Dir of BBall Ops but I haven’t seen anything official.

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Oct 16 2004, 11:32 AM [b] We were also disappointed in the turnout at the pizza gathering. jcl, you should have dropped by to say hello (& the official turnout was closer to 30). We talked with HP & Lefty for a while before heading down to find a seat.

[/b]

There were more than 15 there but still should have been more. The fact that we only needed the one small room said enough. Just disappointing that so few members of the 49er Club take advantage of opportunities like that to meet-and-greet, as well as hear people like Judy speak. Traffic was no excuse because as you said, our events were worked in-between the other ones so there were no conflicts on the road before/after MM. Hopefully more members will come out for pregame events like that.

Over40, I would have said hello but I didn’t want disturb you and the lovely lady you were with. If that was your wife, you certainly married up. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Oct 16 2004, 05:58 PM [b] Over40, I would have said hello but I didn't want disturb you and the lovely lady you were with. If that was your wife, you certainly married up. :P :wink:

[/b]

Glad to see we agree on this one.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Just for your general information, my friend and I were the two white boys hanging out with the EJ Drayton fan club. We LOVED it! They are an awesome family and we became fast friends… awesome people!

jcl, Over40 simply doesn’t know how lucky a man he is for sure. :stuck_out_tongue: