Really? Is this the kind of "community involvement" we need to advertise?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/17/1767671/regularly-diving-for-dinner-in.html

http://www.facebook.com/UNCCharlotte

When she contracts an illness, maybe she can get treated at Chapel Hill’s new branch campus.

Both girls in the article are really good friends of mine. What’s the problem?

Thought that was an interesting project. BTW, Niner alum Glenn Hutchison was instrumental in getting UNCC involved in food recycling back in 1991 and the program is still going strong almost 20 years later.

it’s going to go in full effect since McDonald’s is starting their monopoly game

I thought it was interesting.

My roommate does the dumpster diving thing as well. It’s called Freeganism. He starts to dive around this time of the year and collects food and other stuff. I actually went with him on a dive once. Did not get anything I just wanted to observe and see what he and his friends looked for and did in the process. I would never do it as a lifestyle choice but it’s pretty interesting.

Community activism from college students against a real problem? And we get coverage in the normally UNC Charlotte-free “local” paper? I don’t see it as a problem.

If some small minded, wasteful, yokel has a problem, I think we will be okay.

I’m not a fan of the concept. It unsanitary at best. It also makes it either look like our students are struggling and poor, or nutty hippies. It doesn’t matter if that’s not the reality of what these guys are going for, it’s the perception and perception is 95% of reality. We get enough negative press without the perception that our students need to dumpster dive to eat.

[quote=“Hooner49, post:3, topic:24097”]Both girls in the article are really good friends of mine. What’s the problem?[/quote]it all makes sense now

I’m pretty liberal and just as open-minded as anyone out there, but I agree with 49erFN 100%. Looking for FOOD in a fcking DUMPSTER!?!? Are you kidding me? You really want to look for your food where rats and cockroaches live and sht? Really? Really?? Looking for clothes, furniture, appliances, and specifically FOOD in a trash pile is disgusting, no matter how you try and spin it.

I’m pretty liberal and just as open-minded as anyone out there, but I agree with 49erFN 100%. Looking for FOOD in a fcking DUMPSTER!?!? Are you kidding me? You really want to look for your food where rats and cockroaches live and sht? Really? Really?? Looking for clothes, furniture, appliances, and specifically FOOD in a trash pile is disgusting, no matter how you try and spin it.[/quote] LIKE

I’m pretty liberal and just as open-minded as anyone out there, but I agree with 49erFN 100%. Looking for FOOD in a fcking DUMPSTER!?!? Are you kidding me? You really want to look for your food where rats and cockroaches live and sht? Really? Really?? Looking for clothes, furniture, appliances, and specifically FOOD in a trash pile is disgusting, no matter how you try and spin it.[/quote]

To each his own.

I’m pretty liberal and just as open-minded as anyone out there, but I agree with 49erFN 100%. Looking for FOOD in a fcking DUMPSTER!?!? Are you kidding me? You really want to look for your food where rats and cockroaches live and sht? Really? Really?? Looking for clothes, furniture, appliances, and specifically FOOD in a trash pile is disgusting, no matter how you try and spin it.[/quote]

+1

Yep, and my “own” includes fresh food not covered in rat shit lol :smiley:

Is Lew, errr, ZombieLew, tall enough to ride the dumpsters?

wonder if she fetches discarded personal hygiene products :stuck_out_tongue:

To those of you who are proponents/defenders of this: Please, PLEASE come “dumpster dive” in the dumpster in the complex where I live. LOL once you smell the old ferrett litter I’ve tossed, you will puke and never come back. THEN tell me dumpster diving isn’t gross. I’m serious I want one of these over-the-top hippie chicks to come dive in my dumpster a few days after I clean out the ferret cage.

“It’s like, freeganism man, and it’s like a revolution maann… wait, ugh what’s that smell… Oh my god… what the f*ck am I doing. Ok I’m outa here man.”

[quote=“Chisox17, post:18, topic:24097”]To those of you who are proponents/defenders of this: Please, PLEASE come “dumpster dive” in the dumpster in the complex where I live. LOL once you smell the old ferrett litter I’ve tossed, you will puke and never come back. THEN tell me dumpster diving isn’t gross. I’m serious I want one of these over-the-top hippie chicks to come dive in my dumpster a few days after I clean out the ferret cage.

“It’s like, freeganism man, and it’s like a revolution maann… wait, ugh what’s that smell… Oh my god… what the f*ck am I doing. Ok I’m outa here man.”[/quote]

You are on a roll.

Isn’t she just dumpster diving at grocery stores?