rebounding

why cant we rebound? we should not be getting killed on the boards by a team the size of maryland. that is about coaching.

We don’t box out. Like the commentator said, we just stare at the rim and never look for anyone to put a body on. This has been the case for years.

Only person I remember working hard on box out in the game is Gaby…

We don't box out. Like the commentator said, we just stare at the rim and never look for anyone to put a body on. This has been the case for years.

Yes, for many years. And now with Dew out, our rebounding stats aren’t likely to improve anytime soon.

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;373816]We don’t box out. Like the commentator said, we just stare at the rim and never look for anyone to put a body on. This has been the case for years.[/QUOTE]

Coley, Wilderness and Dewhurst are the only three guys on our team that know how to rebound. Jones needs someone to work with him on position, boxing out and gripping the ball. Lee got a lot of rebounds just by being in position and following the ball.

We also spend so much time rotating on defense that we are out of position to grab the ball. A lot of our shooters don’t follow their shot. We also battle each other for rebounds, which is great if one of our players holds onto it, but occasionally we let the ball slip out of bounds.

Tom Izzo has a drill where he puts the team in football pads and makes them fight for position. Then he makes them do diving drills to go after loose balls. We’re pretty good at getting after the loose balls, but I wish we did something to work on position rebounding.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;373828]Coley, Wilderness and Dewhurst are the only three guys on our team that know how to rebound. Jones needs someone to work with him on position, boxing out and gripping the ball. Lee got a lot of rebounds just by being in position and following the ball.

We also spend so much time rotating on defense that we are out of position to grab the ball. A lot of our shooters don’t follow their shot. We also battle each other for rebounds, which is great if one of our players holds onto it, but occasionally we let the ball slip out of bounds.

Tom Izzo has a drill where he puts the team in football pads and makes them fight for position. Then he makes them do diving drills to go after loose balls. We’re pretty good at getting after the loose balls, but I wish we did something to work on position rebounding.[/QUOTE]

we don’t have any football pads…yet

I think that typicially we are a good rebounding team, however, our defensive schemes have us out of a position A LOT.

[QUOTE=moss2k;373843]I think that typicially we are a good rebounding team, however, our defensive schemes have us out of a position A LOT.[/QUOTE]

We generally have a few guys who work hard to get rebounds, which is a big part of getting the ball. But we get boxed out on the defensive glass way more than we should.

[QUOTE=walaboom;373821]Only person I remember working hard on box out in the game is Gaby…[/QUOTE]

Gaby had no rebounds. This team lack toughness and a mean streak, as coach said after the game. They drill them in boxing out every practice. It is an emphasis. You have to have fundamentals but it’s also about leaping ability and being physical.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;373847]Gaby had no rebounds. This team lack toughness and a mean streak, as coach said after the game. They drill them in boxing out every practice. It is an emphasis. You have to have fundamentals but it’s also about leaping ability and being physical.[/QUOTE]

I am not talking about the Maryland game, pay attention to Gaby next time he is on the court. He works hard on boxing out for his teammates to get rebound. This is something you dont see on the stat sheet.