Recruiting local, lesser known players

I have been trying to get the coaches to come look at Ethan Kincaid and Sam Ford that play for Freedom. I have tried for 3 years, but they have not made it yet. Their question to me is; “why aren’t they on anyone’s radar yet?” Unbelievable, after I have witnessed our point guard issue and shooting woes, in person. Dijuan is a fine point guard, but if he is in foul trouble, we are in trouble.

Ethan is as quick a PG as I have witnessed in years. As you can see from the link above, he is also averaging 22 PPG and 8 assists.

Sam is Freedom’s best 3 pt shooter, ever and that includes the past teams that won the state 4A title, twice.
Freedom plays up-tempo and Sam hit 11 3 pointers last year in one game. He can also drive to the bucket.

Why do we go after all these 3,4,& 5 star players that end up going elsewhere and end up with jucos. At least give these 2 guys a look. regards, Oldniner

I have been trying to get the coaches to come look at Ethan Kincaid and Sam Ford that play for Freedom. I have tried for 3 years, but they have not made it yet. Their question to me is; "why aren't they on anyone's radar yet?" Unbelievable, after I have witnessed our point guard issue and shooting woes, in person. Dijuan is a fine point guard, but if he is in foul trouble, we are in trouble.

Ethan is as quick a PG as I have witnessed in years. As you can see from the link above, he is also averaging 22 PPG and 8 assists.

Sam is Freedom’s best 3 pt shooter, ever and that includes the past teams that won the state 4A title, twice.
Freedom plays up-tempo and Sam hit 11 3 pointers last year in one game. He can also drive to the bucket.

Why do we go after all these 3,4,& 5 star players that end up going elsewhere and end up with jucos. At least give these 2 guys a look. regards, Oldniner

Are they '09 players? Tell the coaches that Curry was “under the radar” too. Learn your lesson.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;368671]Are they '09 players? Tell the coaches that Curry was “under the radar” too. Learn your lesson.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that why Jarvaris Barnette is here?

[QUOTE=Submarley734;368671]Are they '09 players? Tell the coaches that Curry was “under the radar” too. Learn your lesson.[/QUOTE]

Yes, both of them are '09. Believe me, when I called last week and got Kummer’s voice mail, I left a rather firm message. Regards, Oldniner

Are they '09 players? Tell the coaches that Curry was "under the radar" too. Learn your lesson.

I guess this will never go away. And unfortunately with Seth now playing well, we’ll have to hear it for another 3 or 4 years.

i need to make a couple points. first, no disrespect to the guys at freedom but are you suggesting that we abandon recruiting 3, 4 and 5 star players because we dont land most of them.that is a terrible philosophy also, and maybe they will be good college players but if no one is recruiting them yet, then why should we. a lot of guys average 20+ per game in high school, that doesnt make them good college players. sure, we will miss on a lot but we do hit on some, i.e. braswell. lutz is not a good enough coach to win with inferior talent. i dont mean somewhat under the radar talent like we usually get but rather guys that are 1,2 star and below. guys like mckillop can do that, lutz cant. also, i wouldnt really classify barnett as under the radar in college. he was a three star recruit and was offered by wake and vanderbilt. we just recruited him as he started to blow up.

I guess this will never go away. And unfortunately with Seth now playing well, we'll have to hear it for another 3 or 4 years.

I’m not saying go sign one of them, I’m saying don’t just ignore them. If someone you know says, “hey, come see this guy, he’s good.” You should probably go at least watch them, even if they’re under the radar.

But while we’re on the “Curry” subject, if they’re the child of ANY NBA player who was a starter on a team, check them out. Worse comes to worse, they suck, but you have them on your team and you at least have a pretty good chance to get donations from a rich person. It’s business, man.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;368766] i wouldnt really classify barnett as under the radar in college. he was a three star recruit and was offered by wake and vanderbilt. we just offered him when he blew up at the Bojangles Tournament.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

I'm not saying go sign one of them, I'm saying don't just ignore them. If someone you know says, "hey, come see this guy, he's good." You should probably go at least watch them, even if they're under the radar.

But while we’re on the “Curry” subject, if they’re the child of ANY NBA player who was a starter on a team, check them out. Worse comes to worse, they suck, but you have them on your team and you at least have a pretty good chance to get donations from a rich person. It’s business, man.

That’s the point. We didn’t ignore them. Stephen has gotten bigger, and quite simply, gotten better. The Stephen Curry you see today is not the same Stephen Curry in the 11th grade. Seth only got a scholarship to Liberty. Clearly VT knew about them, but wasn’t interested either. They played in tournaments, where they would have been seen by recruiting services and other college coaches, yet they didn’t stand out. Seth’s teammate Carson Sullivan won the MVP of the Bojangles Shootout as a junior, while Seth was a Senior. When Seth was a junior, Barnett won the MVP. When playing against Victory Christian twice last season, Seth was outplayed by VCs PG Andre Cornelius, who only made it to George Mason.

I’m not ragging on them and saying they’re bad players. Just saying the Curry boys (all 3 of them) are a bit of an oddity in that they all grew after high school. It would be very rare to sign a SG with the hopes they will grow 3 inches. And Stephen is probably the leading candidate for National Player of the Year. It’s just not realistic to think he is the same player now that he was when people would have been recruiting him.

Not sure what to say about the recruiting rich kids aspect. Not sure if you really believe that or being sarcastic.

[QUOTE=Normmm;368800]That’s the point. We didn’t ignore them. Stephen has gotten bigger, and quite simply, gotten better. The Stephen Curry you see today is not the same Stephen Curry in the 11th grade. Seth only got a scholarship to Liberty. Clearly VT knew about them, but wasn’t interested either. They played in tournaments, where they would have been seen by recruiting services and other college coaches, yet they didn’t stand out. Seth’s teammate Carson Sullivan won the MVP of the Bojangles Shootout as a junior, while Seth was a Senior. When Seth was a junior, Barnett won the MVP. When playing against Victory Christian twice last season, Seth was outplayed by VCs PG Andre Cornelius, who only made it to George Mason.

I’m not ragging on them and saying they’re bad players. Just saying the Curry boys (all 3 of them) are a bit of an oddity in that they all grew after high school. It would be very rare to sign a SG with the hopes they will grow 3 inches. And Stephen is probably the leading candidate for National Player of the Year. It’s just not realistic to think he is the same player now that he was when people would have been recruiting him.

Not sure what to say about the recruiting rich kids aspect. Not sure if you really believe that or being sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

All of what you said is true. The thing I find vexing is not Stephen but Seth.

After Stephen blew up like he did, why not take a chance on Seth? I rather give a schollie to a kid like that as opposed to a west coast kid like Phaler that sits the entire time he’s here. We’ve had lots of kids that didn’t work out as planned, it happens. Recruiting is a crap shoot.

I’ll give the staff a pass on Steph, everybody missed him, but don’t know hwy you wouldn’t at least give this kid a smell. One other possibilty, we could have pissed off the Curry’s when we didn’t want Steph.

I'll give the staff a pass on Steph, everybody missed him, but don't know hwy you wouldn't at least give this kid a smell. One other possibilty, we could have pissed off the Curry's when we didn't want Steph.

For about the 5th time on here. Seth had already signed his LOI to Liberty before Stephen blew up. Was the older Curry good his freshman year, of course, but nobody, based off his first season would have wanted us to go after his brother. When Stephen exploded his sophmore year, Seth was already signed. I even read it in an article when Seth was asked this question and responded “I was already commited to Liberty”.

[QUOTE=hootie;368872]All of what you said is true. The thing I find vexing is not Stephen but Seth.

After Stephen blew up like he did, why not take a chance on Seth? I rather give a schollie to a kid like that as opposed to a west coast kid like Phaler that sits the entire time he’s here. We’ve had lots of kids that didn’t work out as planned, it happens. Recruiting is a crap shoot.

I’ll give the staff a pass on Steph, everybody missed him, but don’t know hwy you wouldn’t at least give this kid a smell. One other possibilty, we could have pissed off the Curry’s when we didn’t want Steph.[/QUOTE]

no one took a flyer on Seth either. I think he committed before Steph’s explosion.

Those are precisely the points I am trying to impress upon the coaches. Ethan Kincaid is about 6’1" and lean, just like the Curry’s. Yet, Ethan is quicker and can really handle the ball. It seems the staff is just trying to appease me and listen, but never act on it.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;368766]i need to make a couple points. first, no disrespect to the guys at freedom but are you suggesting that we abandon recruiting 3, 4 and 5 star players because we dont land most of them.that is a terrible philosophy also, and maybe they will be good college players but if no one is recruiting them yet, then why should we. a lot of guys average 20+ per game in high school, that doesnt make them good college players. sure, we will miss on a lot but we do hit on some, i.e. braswell. lutz is not a good enough coach to win with inferior talent. i dont mean somewhat under the radar talent like we usually get but rather guys that are 1,2 star and below. guys like mckillop can do that, lutz cant. also, i wouldnt really classify barnett as under the radar in college. he was a three star recruit and was offered by wake and vanderbilt. we just recruited him as he started to blow up.[/QUOTE]

No, I am not suggesting that we abandon recruiting the star players, but maybe look around at the fruit on the ground a little instead of always looking up in the higher part of the tree. Alot of times the fruit on the ground is better than the ones still hanging on the tree. These guys are within 1 1/4 hrs drive.
The statement you made about “if no one else is recruiting them, then why should we” is the exact philosophy our staff has. Some school is always the first school to be interested in a player. Why can’t we be the first one to look at these guys. Considering what we have now, we can’t go wrong with looking.

Stop the Curry talk! This is a Sherrill thread.

No, I am not suggesting that we abandon recruiting the star players, but maybe look around at the fruit on the ground a little instead of always looking up in the higher part of the tree. Alot of times the fruit on the ground is better than the ones still hanging on the tree. These guys are within 1 1/4 hrs drive. The statement you made about "if no one else is recruiting them, then why should we" is the exact philosophy our staff has. Some school is always the first school to be interested in a player. Why can't we be the first one to look at these guys. Considering what we have now, we can't go wrong with looking.

Old-
The coaching staff’s income revolves around how the team produces, and they need kids who they can grade out, not keep fingers crossed he’s the next Curry. Its easy to say go for all the sleepers, but only 1/5 might work out. 4/5 stay skinny, slow, and can’t jump. That said, I started that JUCO war thread a couple weeks ago and I too believe we have to change our philosophy getting kids. But if you only recruit the guys nobody wants, you’ll think 2-6 is a good start each year.

Old- The coaching staff's income revolves around how the team produces, and they need kids who they can grade out, not keep fingers crossed he's the next Curry. Its easy to say go for all the sleepers, but only 1/5 might work out. 4/5 stay skinny, slow, and can't jump. That said, I started that JUCO war thread a couple weeks ago and I too believe we have to change our philosophy getting kids. [B]But if you only recruit the guys nobody wants, you'll think 2-6 is a good start each year.[/B]

I really don’t think Old is saying to only recruit the diamonds in the rough, but to just not ignore them either. Especially if they are only a short drive down the road. What would it hurt for 1 assistant coach to take in a Freedom game one night if you have the chance to find someone special who is not on the radar yet. If they don’t pan out then who knows, you might see someone else playing in that game that looks like a winner, or at the worst you lost a few hours watching a high school baskteball game. We have wasted more time and money on some other guys that ended up being scrubs, so why not check out a local kid?

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;368955]I really don’t think Old is saying to only recruit the diamonds in the rough, but to just not ignore them either. Especially if they are only a short drive down the road. What would it hurt for 1 assistant coach to take in a Freedom game one night if you have the chance to find someone special who is not on the radar yet. If they don’t pan out then who knows, you might see someone else playing in that game that looks like a winner, or at the worst you lost a few hours watching a high school baskteball game. We have wasted more time and money on some other guys that ended up being scrubs, so why not check out a local kid?[/QUOTE]

Thank you ice_cold. I can bet we will wish we would take Ethan Kincaid.

Jacquise Moore out of Concord has been pretty impressive this year. Listed at 6’2 on maxpreps.com. Very quick guard that gets to the basket pretty often. Has a lot of hops, and is only a sophomore. Averaging 18 ppg according to the Charlotte Observer, plus scored 29 points last night. Can run the point or the 2 guard. I think we should give this guy a look as well…looks to be another big time player much like Dee Bost.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;368874]For about the 5th time on here. Seth had already signed his LOI to Liberty before Stephen blew up. Was the older Curry good his freshman year, of course, but nobody, based off his first season would have wanted us to go after his brother. When Stephen exploded his sophmore year, Seth was already signed. I even read it in an article when Seth was asked this question and responded “I was already commited to Liberty”.[/QUOTE]

Didn’t Curry lead all freshman in scoring his frosh year? Just saying, when you average 21.5 points a game and score 30 in your first tournament game, I think people have already taken notice.