Recruiting model, staff under Will Healy is built for prime time

Long read but tremendous read from 247sports on our recruiting model.

4 Likes

Solid Article.

Why did we have to wait for the Clemson 247 lady to write it Agent? You should have done that!

Charlotte, the city, is growing at a rapid pace and so is the number of quality football prospects in the Queen City and its surrounding areas.

It’s a no-brainer for the second-largest university in the state to make its backyard a priority on the trail.

“What I did was, we have 10 coaches who each have eight schools in Charlotte and the six surrounding counties,” Healy said. "So I broke up all 80 and gave each assistant eight of those schools. And your job is, you have to talk to somebody on that staff every week for 52 weeks.”

1 Like

This is a really good article. Well written and some in depth analysis/research. It says a lot the writer was able to get as much as he could to write the article…Healy and his staff are all about selling the program.

"Speaking of on-campus, it’s not just prospects that Healy prioritizes. It’s the entire community. He made his first fall camp with Charlotte open to the public. All sorts of folks came to watch as a result. One even made it up to Healy’s office.

“There was this bald-headed dude wearing a plain white T-shirt and some sweat pants and he looked like he was 45-years-old and he was just sitting outside of Will’s office," Crutchfield said. “I asked him if I could help him with something. And he’s like, ‘I just saw coach Healy on the field and he told me to come up here and he’d meet with me.’ And sure enough Will spent like 30 minutes with him. And the guy was a recovering alcoholic, really loved football and just wanted to be around. He had an interview at Verizon the next day.”

Healy followed up with the stranger days later and found out he got the job at Verizon.

“We always joke there will be random people in the staff meeting that we’ve never seen before,” Crutchfield said.

“Like where do they come from?” Dunn quipped. “Who is this person? And it’ll be like an English professor in our staff meetings.”"

1 Like