Remember Illinois-Chicago???

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;269816]Hmm… They have a guy named Vandermeer, 7 footer, leads the team in rebounds with 4.7.[/QUOTE]
Actually it’s 5.7 rpg. He had 9 rebounds against Winthrop and a career-high 19 points in the previous game versus Illinois-Springfield (NAIA foe – say what?! :huh: :tongue: ).

Last season his rebound high was 14 in a game against Wright State (2007 Horizon champs). Had 111 blocked shots last year too.

Not bad for a big guy at UIC.

Actually it's 5.7 rpg. He had 9 rebounds against Winthrop and a career-high 19 points in the previous game versus Illinois-Springfield (NAIA foe -- say what?! :huh: :tongue: ).

Last season his rebound high was 14 in a game against Wright State (2007 Horizon champs). Had 111 blocked shots last year too.

Regardless, 5.7 and you’re 7 feet, unless he has midget arms that mean he can easily reach past 9’6"… that’s not a good average. 111 blocks is impressive.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;269826]Regardless, 5.7 and you’re 7 feet, unless he has midget arms that mean he can easily reach past 9’6"… that’s not a good average. 111 blocks is impressive.[/QUOTE]
As a team, UIC averages just over 30 rpg. Vandermeer is the leader at 5.7, while 6-7/240 F Jeremy Buttell is 2nd at 5.0 rpg. So between them they get a 1/3 of the rebounds for their team.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to a Charlotte-Wichita State game, Lutz vs. Marshall, etc., in the 3rd match-up of the P-Jam.

GO NINERS!!! EXTINGUISH THE FLAMES!

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;269826]Regardless, 5.7 and you’re 7 feet, unless he has midget arms that mean he can easily reach past 9’6"… that’s not a good average. 111 blocks is impressive.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what kind of numbers you expect from a guy from UIC.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;269828]Not sure what kind of numbers you expect from a guy from UIC.[/QUOTE]
Since I have no idea what kind of offense/defense they run, I don’t know if those numbers are adequate or not. Almost the same he averaged last season, which was 5.6 rpg. I’m just hoping he doesn’t have a career game versus the Niners!

Not to totally disparage our opponent, but I don’t imagine they are getting 5 star recruits, especially at 7+ feet.

[QUOTE=fishniner;269773]We played them in first round of NCAA tourney and advanced to play
UNC-Chapel Hill when they had Antwan Jamison, Vince Carter, etc., etc. and
we lost to the Heels in overtime in Hartford, CT.
Oh the memories!!![/QUOTE]

Sweet memories!!! Those were the days when we actually won tournament games.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a Charlotte-Wichita State game, Lutz vs. Marshall, etc., in the 3rd match-up of the P-Jam.

GO NINERS!!! EXTINGUISH THE FLAMES!

Assuming it happens, Lutz/Marshall has been way too long in the making. Real pity it’s taken so long for us to get games against HPU and Winthrop (talking about our '08 game against them). I really wish we played Winthrop during Marshall’s tenure but better now than never.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;269831]Not to totally disparage our opponent, but I don’t imagine they are getting 5 star recruits, especially at 7+ feet.[/QUOTE]

i didn’t find a thing about him on rivals

nvm i found him 0 star recruit. transferred from bowling green.

Not sure what kind of numbers you expect from a guy from UIC.

Numbers that would be better since “this guy from UIC” is likely playing against equivalent talent. and probably stands a good 4" or 5" taller then the guys he regularly (should) be boxing out. I’d think he is a defensive player (due to his block totals), so I’d like to believe he’d be fighting for rebounds on the regular, rather then taking 15-18 foot jumpers.

I’m not knocking the guy maybe he’s timid, who knows, but I’d like to think he’d average 7+ boards a game. It’s nit-picky, but hey there isn’t much basketball on tv right now for me to watch and critique so I’m going to pick on this guy to pass the time.

[QUOTE=austinniner;269789]They were also the only team we beat in our own holiday tourney during the year we do not speak of.[/QUOTE]

We have a couple of seasons we do not speak of but yea that year sucked. Its funny you used that phrase to describe that season. I have only used it to describe an ex-girlfriend whom we do not speak of.

We have a couple of seasons we do not speak of but yea that year sucked. Its funny you used that phrase to describe that season. I have only used it to describe an ex-girlfriend whom we do not speak of.

I don’t dare speak about any of my exes …around my wife:tongue:

Wow! 75% from the line ! I’m so proud of our guys tonight. [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][I]Go Niners ! ! ! [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]