Remember Illinois-Chicago???

We played them in first round of NCAA tourney and advanced to play
UNC-Chapel Hill when they had Antwan Jamison, Vince Carter, etc., etc. and
we lost to the Heels in overtime in Hartford, CT.
Oh the memories!!!

They were also the only team we beat in our own holiday tourney during the year we do not speak of.

Quick scouting report:

Illinois-Chicago is picked to finish 2nd in the Horizon (which isn’t bad considering Butler is still in the league). BUT - 2 of their best players have left the program. [B][URL=http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/story/2007_08_illinois_chicago_basketball_preview41009]LINK[/URL][/B]

They beat Bradley and got crushed by Winthrop. Surprising…I would have thought it would be the other-way-around. Since I can’t stand Winthrop fans, I looked at the Bradley board. They said UIC has no inside game and offensive rebounds came easily. But illinois-Chicago shot 80% from 3point range in the first half and 63% in the second half. So we’ll probably play man defense and try to shut down their perimeter game.

Austin, don’t give me the details, but tell me the year UIC played in that
holiday event. Thanks.

[QUOTE=fishniner;269791]Austin, don’t give me the details, but tell me the year UIC played in that
holiday event. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

99-00

UIC has never played in Halton. It was another Chicago school in that godforsaken event…

Loyola right?

[QUOTE=run49er;269794]UIC has never played in Halton. It was another Chicago school in that godforsaken event…[/QUOTE]
we played southern Illinois that year too

[QUOTE=Powerbait;269795]Loyola right?[/QUOTE]

We have a winner!!! :mallet:

[QUOTE=survivor45;269790]Quick scouting report: But illinois-Chicago shot 80% from 3point range in the first half and 63% in the second half. So we’ll probably play man defense and try to shut down their perimeter game.[/QUOTE]

Uh…Ohhh.
I guess tonight we will see if we are really a better defensive team than in the past or just another year of gettting torched fromt the perimeter. UIC is a one trick pony on the offensive end of the floor so if we are a good defensive team we should be able to force their hand.

From the UIC game notes:

[b]UIC AND CHARLOTTE, THE SERIES[/b]: UIC has faced Charlotte twice before Saturday. The 49ers have won both games against the Flames. The first meeting came in UIC’s first-ever appearance in the NCAA Tournament with a first round duel in Hartford, Conn. on March 12, 1998. Anthony Coomes scored a team-leading 19 points, but it was not enough in a 77-62 defeat that eliminated the Flames. DeMarco Johnson scored 30 in the 49ers’ win. The next meeting between the two schools came during the 1999-2000 season at the Puerto Rico Holiday Classic. UIC lost 87-61.

Link: UIC-Charlotte game notes

We have a winner!!! :mallet:

My bad, I try to forget that year.

What year? I was in school for the three years from 2001-2005.

December 27th, 2002. We won 82-69. 49er Alumnus was kind enough to let me and my wife sit with him on my first trip back to see a game in Halton and witness the victory. The next two days were ugly.

Weren’t the games on national tv also? I could swear I was able to watch them in NY…

Btw, what’s the line on our game today?

The good guys beat Loyola Chicago, were blown out by UL Lafayette and almost came back but fell short to Colorado.

They said UIC has no inside game and offensive rebounds came easily. But illinois-Chicago shot 80% from 3point range in the first half and 63% in the second half. So we'll probably play man defense and try to shut down their perimeter game.

Hmm… They have a guy named Vandermeer, 7 footer, leads the team in rebounds with 4.7. That’s sad, when you’re 7 foot you should average that based off of dumb luck. Guess that’s why they said they have no inside game.

[QUOTE=austinniner;269810]December 27th, 2002. We won 82-69. 49er Alumnus was kind enough to let me and my wife sit with him on my first trip back to see a game in Halton and witness the victory. The next two days were ugly.[/QUOTE]

It was a joke.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;269816]Hmm… They have a guy named Vandermeer, 7 footer, leads the team in rebounds with 4.7. That’s sad, when you’re 7 foot you should average that based off of dumb luck. Guess that’s why they said they have no inside game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I looked at Jim Utter’s blog and he contradicted everything that the Bradley fans said! So I have no idea what to expect. Hopefully their shooting guard Mayo will shoot cold from the outside- like he did yesterday vs. winthrop.