Results of the name change vote

This was totally pointless. 1400 students voted. Absolutely nothing will happen as a result of this vote.

[QUOTE=eason49;399518]Didn’t you endorse Lemons/Pierce in another thread?

Not trying to call you out, but did something cause you to change your mind?[/QUOTE]

I had expressed some apprehension about Kirby, based on his extremely conservative approach. However, he assured me of his stance on the name change, and a conservative approach as far as school politics is a good thing - the conservatism that I disagree with him on has nothing to do with anything our student body president can do. I never endorsed Lemons/Pierce, and shortly after I made that post I endorsed Kirby/Smither.

This was totally pointless. 1400 students voted. Absolutely nothing will happen as a result of this vote.
Very true. That's why we are having a real vote in November. Two week duration. Results will be far different.

[QUOTE=49or bust;399524]Very true. That’s why we are having a real vote in November. Two week duration. Results will be far different.[/QUOTE]

That’s good to hear. I hope it gets changed.

This vote may have meant nothing, but the 775 students that voted “no” scares me. My bet would have been that there weren’t 1000 on campus that would have voted no. Now, I know sometimes that the “no” voters may have turned out more, but this vote is not insignificant. I hope getting the word out for the real vote will squash the no’s, but I am unpleasantly surprised at these results of the faux vote.

[QUOTE=Pork Chop;399476]What the hell is wrong with those 775 students?[/QUOTE]

Those 775 have a problem, but I want to know what’s up with the other 20,000+ that didn’t vote… Those are the ones that need to be reached before next fall.

This vote may have meant nothing, but the 775 students that voted "no" scares me. My bet would have been that there weren't 1000 on campus that would have voted no. Now, I know sometimes that the "no" voters may have turned out more, but this vote is not insignificant. I hope getting the word out for the real vote will squash the no's, but I am unpleasantly surprised at these results of the faux vote.
Agree. That's how I feel.
Those 775 have a problem, but I want to know what's up with the other 20,000+ that didn't vote... Those are the ones that need to be reached before next fall.
This vote had essentially 0 campaigning. It will be much different next time.
This vote may have meant nothing, but the 775 students that voted "no" scares me. My bet would have been that there weren't 1000 on campus that would have voted no. Now, I know sometimes that the "no" voters may have turned out more, but this vote is not insignificant. I hope getting the word out for the real vote will squash the no's, but I am unpleasantly surprised at these results of the faux vote.
Agree 100%.
More important to the name change movement was the election of Lemons/Pierce, who seem to sidestep this issue and have taken no definitive stance on it. Kirby/Smither, who have stated that they are pro-name change, would have been a great asset to our cause.

Their stance according to Pierce:

[QUOTE=Hooner49;399564]Their stance according to Pierce:[/QUOTE]

That’s a great start. Consider it!

you guys need to put together a very intelligent well thought out email to Ruth Shaw, she got back to me today in 2 hrs regarding the Observer. She is the new Mac Everett, being chair of the trustees- which trumps Dubois.

She went to ECU. I would ask her if its prudent for ECU to be UNC-Greenville. How much brand would the “Pirate” have if it were the UNC-Greenville Pirates? Same for App being UNC-Boone.

This is the best argument to make.

I was hoping to do something like this. I had a 3 question progression in mind for the real vote. I'll ask my guy in SGA if this is possible, unless anyone else on here knows.

Seriously, something like that should be included. I’ve always felt there should be a way to also include info on those who plan on transferring and pull for other schools first. Something like, "If you voted no, do you

a) root for UNC Charlotte over any other school
b) root for another school over UNC Charlotte
c) not follow athletics"

That way, even if the vote fails, it may shed some light on why there is an issue in the first place, and that branding needs to be addressed.

Seriously, something like that should be included. I've always felt there should be a way to also include info on those who plan on transferring and pull for other schools first. Something like, "If you voted no, do you

c) not follow athletics"

That way, even if the vote fails, it may shed some light on why there is an issue in the first place, and that branding needs to be addressed.

But it’s so much more than athletics. My main concern is making it VERY clear that those in favor of the name change are not in favor because our athletic programs will benefit. If you want to persuade the masses, you need to go take the academic approach.

you guys need to put together a very intelligent well thought out email to Ruth Shaw, she got back to me today in 2 hrs regarding the Observer. She is the new Mac Everett, being chair of the trustees- which trumps Dubois.

She went to ECU. I would ask her if its prudent for ECU to be UNC-Greenville. How much brand would the “Pirate” have if it were the UNC-Greenville Pirates? Same for App being UNC-Boone.

This is the best argument to make.

We need to cultivate this relationship with her. She obviously has our best interest in mind, but as we see with this vote, not everyone is sold on the name change. She is a very powerful person at this university and we need her to be on our side.

I ask that no matter her opinion of the name change that we respect her opinion. If she is opposed to it, then you can always try to respectfully persuade her, but if she is not persuaded we need to look elsewhere for support.

If she is already in favor of the name change, then she could be a huge part of getting this done.

Just remember what the chancellor has said about this issue before. I doubt that she will deviate much from him on a matter this large.

I was hoping to do something like this. I had a 3 question progression in mind for the real vote. I'll ask my guy in SGA if this is possible, unless anyone else on here knows.

What are the three questions?

Seriously, something like that should be included. I've always felt there should be a way to also include info on those who plan on transferring and pull for other schools first. Something like, "If you voted no, do you

c) not follow athletics"

That would create bias in the results. If we are going to do something as large as a name change, I’d prefer everyone vote based on what they believe is best for the school.

But it's so much more than athletics. My main concern is making it VERY clear that those in favor of the name change are not in favor because our athletic programs will benefit. If you want to persuade the masses, you need to go take the academic approach.

I got ya. I don’t think it should be the only follow question. There probably should also be one related to why they think changing the name is a bad idea. If they answer along the lines of because it links them to UNC-CH, that too should shed some light that there is a branding issue.

That would create bias in the results. If we are going to do something as large as a name change, I'd prefer everyone vote based on what they believe is best for the school.
I agree, the question of what their sports affiliation is may make people see this as too much of an athletically charged move, but anyone who would root for another school over UNC Charotte or root for UNC or NC State whatsoever does not our school's best interests in mind.
That would create bias in the results. If we are going to do something as large as a name change, I'd prefer everyone vote based on what they believe is best for the school.

That’s the point. If they answer that they intend on transferring or root for another school, then they are not voting for what they truly think is best for the school.

Also, option “c” made it not completely bias towards athletics. They can answer they do not follow athletics.