Retire 13?

I think it should be hanging in the rafters next year. So we didnā€™t get past the first round the past couple years. So what? Heā€™s the all-time UNCC and Conference USA career leader in steals. Toss in all the accolades and the soon-to-be NBA career and his jersey should most definitely be up there.

It wasnā€™t up to Eddie all by himself to take the 49ers to the S16 - so why should it reflect on his number being retired. His number should be retired based on his talent and what he did on the court compared to his counterparts.

Put a poll up that says Martin Iti should get a huge wedgie because he didnā€™t contribute enough to get us to the S16 ā€” that would make more sense.

Was Demarco an All American?

Honestly, neither Eddie nor several of the other #'s we have already retired probably should be retired. But we are lacking the tradition, so the novelty of it all has made us overeager to bestow the honor on some possibly unworthy, but otherwise great players.

Hanging a jersey in the rafters should be reserved for the special players. The guys who played here four years and really put their stamp on the program, and the conference. Demarco, Eddie, etc should be hanging in the rafters. But retiring a number should be reserved for the elite of that group. Guys who achieved All American status and led us to significant postseason success (Cedric Maxwell), or set all time career marks in the core categories like Henry Williams. #45 is a special case and very worthy.

It doesnā€™t mean that I think any less of Eddie or anyone else as a player or a representative of our school. These guys deserve to be honored with their jersey in the rafters, with frequent welcome back recognition when they come home, and with just about every other honor we can bestow upon them.

But retiring the jersey# for all timeā€¦ We should be able to count those guys on one hand for years to come. And the names should flow off the tongue like Ruth, Gehrig & Dimaggio do when talking about the Yankees. They should be almost legendary to our fans, and define the program to the rest of the nation.

Thatā€™s just one manā€™s opinion though. Take it for what itā€™s worth.

[b]. But retiring a number should be reserved for the elite of that group. Guys who achieved All American status and led us to significant postseason success (Cedric Maxwell), or set all time career marks in the core categories like Henry Williams. #45 is a special case and very worthy. [/b]

Couldnā€™t agree more. I love Eddie and what he meant to our program but to say #13 should never be worn again is a bit absurd. I just think that RETIRING a jersey should mean somethingā€¦something more than have a couple solid years. I just donā€™t want to see that honor lose itā€™s value. There should only be 3 numbers retired at this point: 33, 34 and 45. I donā€™t have a problem ā€œhonoringā€ other players but no one other than those three guys have done anything to warrant not having their number used again.

I have to agree here, retirement of a number should be ā€œspecial.ā€ I was in on the secret of Maxwellā€™s and Watkinsā€™ jersey retirements before it occurred. At the time of the banquet, it was a huge surprise to most there, just because no numbers had been honored before and no one was was more surprised than Wat. But in Coach Roseā€™s eyes, he was the heart and soul of the NIT and Final Four teams.

I fully believe Charles Haywardā€™s #45 retirement is appropriate. Probably IMO, Henryā€™s jersey is the only other one that shouldā€™ve been retired. #4 for both Dinkins and Johnson likely would not have been honored had they both not been products of the Queen City.

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner[/i]@Apr 14 2005, 05:27 PM [b] Was Demarco an All American? [/b]
Honorable mention, and I'm pretty sure some major publication (Sporting News) named him third team.

NA hit the nail on the head

Surprisingly, I agree with NA here. Guys like Eddie should be honored in some way, however if we retire every Demarco and Eddie that comes through here, we will have no numbers left to give out in 15 more years.

ditto. NAā€™s got it right

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Apr 14 2005, 04:40 PM [b] Honestly, neither Eddie nor several of the other #'s we have already retired probably should be retired. But we are lacking the tradition, so the novelty of it all has made us overeager to bestow the honor on some possibly unworthy, but otherwise great players.

Hanging a jersey in the rafters should be reserved for the special players. The guys who played here four years and really put their stamp on the program, and the conference. Demarco, Eddie, etc should be hanging in the rafters. But retiring a number should be reserved for the elite of that group. Guys who achieved All American status and led us to significant postseason success (Cedric Maxwell), or set all time career marks in the core categories like Henry Williams. #45 is a special case and very worthy.

It doesnā€™t mean that I think any less of Eddie or anyone else as a player or a representative of our school. These guys deserve to be honored with their jersey in the rafters, with frequent welcome back recognition when they come home, and with just about every other honor we can bestow upon them.

But retiring the jersey# for all timeā€¦ We should be able to count those guys on one hand for years to come. And the names should flow off the tongue like Ruth, Gehrig & Dimaggio do when talking about the Yankees. They should be almost legendary to our fans, and define the program to the rest of the nation.

Thatā€™s just one manā€™s opinion though. Take it for what itā€™s worth. [/b]

Blowjob pf thinks NA wrote a very well-put post. Agrees retiring should be reserved for high all american honors and hayward only. retired number should be different color than honored numbers and bigger like other posters said. blowjob pf thinks that all retired/honored jerseys should be bigger than they are now.

on the subject of bannersā€¦

Blowjob pf thinks that conference chamionships should each have a searate banner and the conference we won an type of chamionship (reg. season, tie?, tournament) should be noted. I think it means more to the me to see we wont the metro torunament in 1988 or whenever so I know it wasnā€™t cheap like us supposedly winning the CUSa chapionship in 2004? future niners fans will forget that we didnt really win. We were fith place after the tie breaker. We didnt even get a bye in the conf tournamentā€¦more details oin conf banners would be excellent

maybe we could have the NCAA tounrmanet share a banneer with the A-10 (or metro, or sunbelt, or CUSA) chamionship from the same year.

[i]Originally posted by blowjob pf+Apr 16 2005, 11:23 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (blowjob pf @ Apr 16 2005, 11:23 AM)