Retire 13?

what do you think?

So based on the majority of the responses on here, then we shouldn’t have any retired jerseys.

13 needs to be hanging from the rafters next year

I’m sorry, I love Eddie and everything, wish we had 10 more of him…BUT, nobody on this team (coaching staff included) should be rewarded for much of anything, given the way they laid down and died at the end of the year. If we had went to the elite 8, I would have been all for it.

[i]Originally posted by morningwood[/i]@Apr 13 2005, 07:34 AM [b] So based on the majority of the responses on here, then we shouldn't have any retired jerseys.

[/b]

Cornbread and Melvin I guess are the only ones that deserve to be up there in some folks minds. I think #13 will be on the wall eventually, but I think it will be a few years before it happens. Eddie’s contributions will not be appreciated until some realize how much he will be missed.

2 time Conf DPOY, Conf POY, National DPOY, 1st Team All Conf.

That Jersey should hang.

My opinion, it should be hanging up.

But what is involved in making the decision? Is it strictly on the court effort?

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante[/i]@Apr 13 2005, 08:35 AM [b] But what is involved in making the decision? Is it strictly on the court effort? [/b]
Someone mentioned a while back that for a player to be considered that they had to make All-American status of some kind. Not sure if that's totally the case, but the ones that have been retired (save Hayward) were certainly worthy, if not actually named as such. They may just have to be named as Honorable Mention All-American. If that's the case, then Eddie should have his retired. There are some kind of tricky stipulations though, because Lew Massey's #23 still isn't on the wall.

I believe they also have to graduate? In the case of Haywood, they made an exception. I know certain Real fan would know

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Apr 13 2005, 08:48 AM [b]There are some kind of tricky stipulations though, because Lew Massey's #23 still isn't on the wall. [/b]

Good choice of words. Circumstances like Massey not hanging up is why I asked.

However it works, I can certainly understand where an exception was made for Hayward.

[b]In the case of Haywood, they made an exception. [/b]
What's a former tarheel have to do with this? :D

What’s the difference between retiring a jersey and hanging it on the wall? There are two jersey’s with #4 hanging up so does that mean the number is still available?

[i]Originally posted by 199er9[/i]@Apr 13 2005, 10:22 AM [b] What's the difference between retiring a jersey and hanging it on the wall? There are two jersey's with #4 hanging up so does that mean the number is still available? [/b]
Retiring the jersey simply means you're honoring that player by hanging up his jersey to distinguish his excellence, and it's the same as hanging it on the wall. Retiring the number is a whole different animal, and one that I don't think is practical. Eventually, if you have enough great players, there will not be any numbers left. With basketball, it's even more difficult to retire the number because there are only 42 usable numbers. As far as I know, the #4 is still usable. Right now, no player shares a number of any of the retired jersies.

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE EB. But, as I’ve said before, at this point in our history, no more numbers should be retired until that player helps take us to the Sweet 16 and/or farther.

great “4” year career, his number will be retired!!

p.s. anyone know where i could buy eddie’s jersey??

Jersey numbers are retired and are not used again. In the case of #4, the number was retired (Dinkins) while another player (Johnson) was wearing it. Instead of taking it off his back, he just kept it. Had DeMarco not gotten his number retired, #4 still would not have been used after he left. Just ironic that it is retired for two players.

[i]Originally posted by X-49er+Apr 13 2005, 11:01 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (X-49er @ Apr 13 2005, 11:01 AM)

Honoring them is fine with me. Just make sure his name and number are up on that wall.

[b]I dont see any reason we have to lower the standards for Charlotte. State and Carolina do have many other jerseys honored, but those are the only jerseys retired. #13 should be available in the future, but it should also be on the wall.

I agree Haywards should be given full retiring though no matter what the standards are. [/b]

If we are to separate the retired jerseys from retired numbers, then I think at this point there should only be three “numbers” retired. Those would be Cornbread’s, Henry’s, and Charles’ (33,34,45). The rest that have their jerseys on the wall would simply have their jerseys retired and not their numbers. You could put the retired “numbers” on green jerseys and make the retired “jerseys” white. Both would have the name and number on them.

From what Neo said, the 6 numbers on the wall have been retired from future use. The players who wore those 6 numbers played between 1973 and 1998. That’s 6 numbers retired in 25 years. If we average that over the next 100 years, we will have 30 numbers retired at that time. Curtis (if he stays) and Eddie will be eligible among recent or current players. That would leave only 12 numbers left to choose from for current players then. I guess we’ll have to begin using letters on the unis if we have to retire another one after hat. :huh: :doh: :confused: :ponder:

The guy gave everything he had, stayed 4 years and improved every year to the point he received all of those awards this year. I love Eddie and his heart. I believe he should be honored with his jersey on the wall. No way should the number be retired though. I believe you have to lead your team and take them for a long ride in the NCAAs before retirement should happen. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened for us for nearly 30 years.

his number is probably defacto retired anyway, how many players are going to wear 13 to begin with?

atleast honor it on the wall, he is what college ball should be about, 4 years and a team player.

I say hang it on the wall. Eddie was a huge part of this programs growth over the past few years. This past year he brought national attention to the program.

Great player and fan favorite. He deserves it after all the national and conference awards.