Retired Niner Jersey Numbers

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;289426]According to [URL]http://www.usabasketball.com/rules/rules.html[/URL] 01, 02 etc aren’t allowed.

00, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 52, 52, 53, 54, 55[/QUOTE]

Could have changed, but all numbers, or combinations thereof, that could be signaled with one hand by the referree used to be legal.

You think one day the SID office will retire my polo shirt?

Chevee wins, but we have a protest. Straight from the NCAA rulebook:

[QUOTE]

[B][U]Rule 1: Court and Equipment[/U][/B]
[B]Art. 8.[/B] Each team member’s game jersey shall be numbered on the front and
back with plain Arabic numerals.

a. The following numbers are legal: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14,
15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45,
50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55. [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Team rosters can include 0 or 00 but not both[/COLOR][/B].[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2008/2008_m_w_basketball_rules.pdf][B][U]NCAA Basketball Rules(pdf)[/U][/B][/URL]

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;289429]Unless they are wrong too. They state that half time in NCAA is “15 mihe nutes”[/QUOTE]

Halftime isn’t 15 minutes?

[QUOTE][LIST]
[]Player must be/will be a graduate.
[
]Player must be of quality character and has exhibited leadership traits.
[]Player must have led team to high-level of success (defined as NCAA or multiple postseason and/or league championship).
[
]Player must be a member of a published, reputable All-America Team (1st, 2nd, 3rd, Honorable Mention and can include Freshman All-America Team).
[*]Player must have achieved statistical prowess and individual records/awards.
[/LIST][/QUOTE]
Note: Henry Williams and Byron Dinkins were named three times as Honorable Mention All-Americans.

Unless they are wrong too. They state that half time in NCAA is "15 [B]mihe nutes[/B]"
Halftime isn't 15 [B]minutes[/B]?

No, I’m pretty sure it is 15 minutes.

For the 1999-00 season Jersey numbers 1 and 2 were added to the legal list.

[URL]http://www.ncaa.org/releases/rules/1999/1999050701ru.htm[/URL]

We might have jumped the gun on Byron Dinkins and maybe Jarvis, in hindsight.

Maybe it’s sour grapes, but in hindsight I think we jumped the gun with Melvin Watkins. I know having played on the best team in the school’s history and being the school’s first black head coach are significant. But the jersey was retired before he became coach, right?

[QUOTE=Normmm;289497]Maybe it’s sour grapes, but in hindsight I think we jumped the gun with Melvin Watkins. I know having played on the best team in the school’s history and being the school’s first black head coach are significant. But the jersey was retired before he became coach, right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah and after the way he left I wanted to rip it down and burn it. I still feel that way.

i was reading through the niners media guide the other day and saw that the last time we retired a number was back in 2000 and was wondering who might be in consideration for the next niner retired number. i was thinking maybe jobby thomas but what process does the school do to retire numbers or is it up to judy rose??? just a thought

I don’t think there are currently any player’s whose jersey’s should be retired. But IMO Withers should be the highest on the list of players whose jersey’s are not retired. Before my time but I know some would argue Chad Kinch.

I’m pretty sure Watkins and Cornbread’s jersey’s were retired on March 2, 1977. That’s before the tourney even starts.

Wasn’t Cornbread a 1st team AP All American?

Did Withers and Basden ever get Honorable Mention All Americans?

I'm pretty sure Watkins and Cornbread's jersey's were retired on March 2, 1977. That's before the tourney even starts.

Wasn’t Cornbread a 1st team AP All American?

Basden did in some publications.

[QUOTE=Normmm;289497]Maybe it’s sour grapes, but in hindsight I think we jumped the gun with Melvin Watkins. I know having played on the best team in the school’s history and being the school’s first black head coach are significant. But the jersey was retired before he became coach, right?[/QUOTE]
Melvin’s jersey was retired in April, 1977 at the same time that Cedric Maxwell’s jersey was. It was a shock to most at the banquet but readily approved by everyone there. Lee Rose made that decision then and if you were around the team, you’d have agreed with the decision.

Maxwell and Watkins never lost a home game in four seasons at UNC Charlotte.

When Rose first came to UNCC, he asked trainer Mike Stikeleather who the stongest player on the team was. Stike replied that it was Wat. He told the coach of Melvin’s first two seasons and how he almost wasn’t cleared to play initially due to a heart issue. Melvin was one of those with an “athlete’s heart.” When he exerted himself, his heart rate actually decreased. After many tests with Charlotte doctors, he was cleared to play. Rose called Watkins in for a meeting and found out that Melvin wanted to play point guard and promised to be a tireless worker. Rose loved a big guard and Melvin worked all summer, immediately becoming the leader of the team. I might point out that Melvin had come from Reidsville High’s state championship team as a center. Without Watkins’ leadership on the court, there would have been no Final Four team.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;289518]Basden did in some publications.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and was CUSA Player of the Year. He’s probably #2 on my list of possibles right now.

Lew Massey, on paper, is the most deserving IMO. I don’t think he was ever listed on an AA team, though, because he played with Maxwell. He was the second leading scorer on the '77 team and averaged 19.6 ppg that season, and that’s without the 3-point line (several have said he could light it up from long range). He ranks as the second leading scorer in school history, behind only Henry Williams. With the 3-pt line, he might be #1.

X, I predict that Chapel Hill Phil will send a proclamation to the BOT making Lew Massey’s #23 jersey retired. After all, he was Walter Davis’ nephew. :wink:

Lew was dead-eye from the corner, would’ve loved the 3-pt line. Perhaps he’ll make his annual appearance at the game on Saturday.

Wasn't Cornbread a 1st team AP All American?

Cornbread:
75-76: Hon Mention AP
76-77: 1st team Converse, 2nd team AP

Massey:
77-78: Hon Mention AP, Hon Mention Sporting News

Kinch:
76-77: 1st team freshman AP
77-78: Hon Mention AP
78-79: Hon Mention AP
79-80: Hon Mention AP

Basden:
04-05: 2nd team Basketball Times, 3rd team Sports Illustrated, Hon Mention AP

Withers:
03-04: 3rd team Basketball Times
04-05: Hon Mention Sports Illustrated

Cornbread: 75-76: Hon Mention AP 76-77: 1st team Converse, 2nd team AP

Massey:
77-78: Hon Mention AP, Hon Mention Sporting News

Kinch:
76-77: 1st team freshman AP
77-78: Hon Mention AP
78-79: Hon Mention AP
79-80: Hon Mention AP

Basden:
04-05: 2nd team Basketball Times, 3rd team Sports Illustrated, Hon Mention AP

Withers:
03-04: 3rd team Basketball Times
04-05: Hon Mention Sports Illustrated

How about DeMarco Johnson?

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;289560]How about DeMarco Johnson?[/QUOTE]

From Page 23 of the CUSA recordbook:

[QUOTE]
1998 All-Americans
Basketball Weekly
[B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Third Team[/COLOR][/B]
DeMarco Johnson, Charlotte[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/history-records.pdf][B][U]CUSA Basketball Records (pdf) [/U][/B][/URL]

He was the 1998 CUSA Player of the Year, also.

[QUOTE=HP49er;289542]Lew was dead-eye from the corner, would’ve loved the 3-pt line. Perhaps he’ll make his annual appearance at the game on Saturday.[/QUOTE]
I remember Dad saying one time that Massey was the best long-range assassin that he’s ever seen at Charlotte, besides maybe Plavich. How was Kinch as a shooter?

Kinch was a good shooter who would have definitely been a threat from the three point line. He was great at driving and finishing too.

Kinch was basically a complete player. I am still puzzled as to why he did not do better at the pro level.