Retrospect: The new players

We’ve brought up past reports on Mack and Coley, but I thought it would be fun to look back at what we said about the other recruits and new players before the beginning of the season…

DiJuan Harris - my favorite comments:

[URL]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16017&highlight=Dijuan[/URL]

• Survivor questioned whether he was a basketball recruit, and some wondered why we would pick up a one-star recruit. I would like to say, thanks for coming here and showing what a “one-star” recruit can do.

Michael Gerrity

[URL]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15026&highlight=Gerrity&page=2[/URL]

• I cannot believe someone compared him to Chris Sager. I think some mild infatuation occurred because of his dashing good looks, too.

Big Phil

[URL]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13579&highlight=Wilderness[/URL]

• He almost had celebrity status for being spotted around campus from Gill’s posts (check page 9). If he shows his mean streak a little more, I’m up for the name (as has been floated) “Big Nasty.”

The Wilderness

[URL]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5898&highlight=Wilderness[/URL]

• Chisox “knew somebody” that said Tatum is better than Wilderness. Glad we got the Wilderness.

Goonj

[URL]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14024&highlight=Ngoundjo[/URL]

• Poor Gaby. His own thread was hijacked on losing his AAU teammates during recruiting. Must have snuck on to the team.

I don’t know about anyone else, but we have had 7 winners in the recruiting dept this year.

I don't know about anyone else, but we have had 7 winners in the recruiting dept this year.

QFT. :49ers:

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;303634]

Michael Gerrity

[URL]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15026&highlight=Gerrity&page=2[/URL]

• I cannot believe someone compared him to Chris Sager. I think some mild infatuation occurred because of his dashing good looks, too.

[/QUOTE]

I didn’t compare him to Chris Sager on his style of play or even ability. I compared him to Sager because both were Freshman of the Year in their respective conferences and transfered out. Sager came in and didn’t reach his hype, so the post was just saying that it happened once, that it could happen again.

However, I think Gerrity is very good player and will be a major impact player in his time at Charlotte.

I didn't compare him to Chris Sager on his style of play or even ability. I compared him to Sager because both were Freshman of the Year in their respective conferences and transfered out. Sager came in and didn't reach his hype, so the post was just saying that it happened once, that it could happen again.

However, I think Gerrity is very good player and will be a major impact player in his time at Charlotte.

Wasn’t making a swipe. Just showing that he has probably met everyone’s expectations (as long as you didn’t want him to walk on water).

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;303639]Wasn’t making a swipe. Just showing that he has probably met everyone’s expectations (as long as you didn’t want him to walk on water).[/QUOTE]

Figured as much, just wanted to clarify mypoint though.

The next round of recruits will be expected to walk on water, the following group of recruits will give sight to the blind.

Figured as much, just wanted to clarify mypoint though.

The next round of recruits will be expected to walk on water, the following group of recruits will give sight to the blind.

Just because you can walk on water, doesn’t mean you can ball. example: me.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;303645]

The next round of recruits will be expected to walk on water, the following group of recruits will give sight to the blind.[/QUOTE]

I’ll settle for shoot well and play defense.

I'll settle for shoot well and play defense.

Isn’t that the low expectations I keep hearing about?

out of the “newbies”. Love their attitude, hustle, defensive effort!

With Shamarr and Javarris coming on board next year, I think Lutz’s plan to save the last 2 scholarships is wise. We have a great bunch coming back, along with two new shooters. And IF an Eddie Basden type situation materializes, or a really good transfer, you can utilize that option.

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;303634]Survivor questioned whether he was a basketball recruit, and some wondered why we would pick up a one-star recruit.[/QUOTE]

The next time I believe a recruiting site’s opinion about a juco point guard - someone please kick me in the groin.

Harris has quickly become one of my most favorite players. Great defense and shot selection. I couldn’t be happier to look like a fool.

[QUOTE=VA49er;303689]I’ll settle for shoot well and play defense.[/QUOTE]
WH pointed out on the A-10 board that once Temple started playing defense they turned their season around. Conversely, when URI stopped playing D, their season went into the crapper!

[QUOTE=run49er;303797]WH pointed out on the A-10 board that once Temple started playing defense they turned their season around.[/QUOTE]

At least my “dark horse” was accurate this year. :tongue: neener neener :tongue:

I was convinced that Temple would do well … while everyone else was going on and on about Duquesne and Majerus.

[QUOTE=survivor45;303802]I was convinced that Temple would do well … while everyone else was going on and on about Duquesne and Majerus.[/QUOTE]

Dunphy was a winner at Penn and no reason to think he wouldn’t be a Temple as well.

The Dukes have made quite a turnaround. Three wins 2 seasons ago to 10 last year to 17 and counting in 07-08. No reason to think Duquense won’t get at least 20 wins next season as long as James stays healthy.

Speaking of Saint Louis, one of the threads on Billikens.com is about whether or not the rumor of Majerus “cleaning house” after the season is true or not. He already has a pretty stellar class of 5 coming in next season to join seniors-to-be Liddell and Lisch, but the thread in question claims he’s getting “rid” of at least 4 current players. Hmmm…

someone please kick me in the groin.

Will do.

Great recruiting class. Well done coaches.