Rising on 9/5 - Wilson's World

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:20, topic:28956”][quote=“ninermike, post:19, topic:28956”]I think some of the “concerned citizens” of NNN should volunteer to answer phones at the AD to ensure messages are properly received. They are obviously inadequate in this regard and until Judy Rose retires these communication breakdowns will happen often and likely increase in frequency. If you really care about our University, please step up. I’ve already taken Monday morning’s from 8am to 12pm. We especially need people to fill in for the all important lunchtime slot. I’m working on having your volunteer time count towards your annual giving as well. Only $10/hr but just 50 hours will give you enough to earn a parking pass in the black lot. Time to step up NinerNation! We didn’t sit idle when we wanted a football team so let’s sure as hell not sit idle when we need a few phone calls answered and returned!!

If someone could start a counter that would be nice as well. Ex. 9 days, 3 hours and 22 minutes since Wilson left an unreturned message with the AD[/quote]

Is this tongue and cheek or are you serious? I’m definitely willing to put in some hours where needed.[/quote]

Tongue and cheek Bleeds but I like what I’m hearing… I have actually offered my own free marketing support in the past and it’s gone unanswered.
In all seriousness I think beating up the AD over this Wilson thing is a little overzealous. That said, our marketing efforts do need to be taken up a notch. With all of the marketing degrees that have come out of Charlotte, I think it would be a great idea for the AD to form some action committees and get free support. Get current marketing students involved as well. Side benefit is that when alumni are more involved in the university they are going to participate and contribute at deeper levels.

[quote=“ninermike, post:21, topic:28956”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:20, topic:28956”][quote=“ninermike, post:19, topic:28956”]I think some of the “concerned citizens” of NNN should volunteer to answer phones at the AD to ensure messages are properly received. They are obviously inadequate in this regard and until Judy Rose retires these communication breakdowns will happen often and likely increase in frequency. If you really care about our University, please step up. I’ve already taken Monday morning’s from 8am to 12pm. We especially need people to fill in for the all important lunchtime slot. I’m working on having your volunteer time count towards your annual giving as well. Only $10/hr but just 50 hours will give you enough to earn a parking pass in the black lot. Time to step up NinerNation! We didn’t sit idle when we wanted a football team so let’s sure as hell not sit idle when we need a few phone calls answered and returned!!

If someone could start a counter that would be nice as well. Ex. 9 days, 3 hours and 22 minutes since Wilson left an unreturned message with the AD[/quote]

Is this tongue and cheek or are you serious? I’m definitely willing to put in some hours where needed.[/quote]

Tongue and cheek Bleeds but I like what I’m hearing… I have actually offered my own free marketing support in the past and it’s gone unanswered.
In all seriousness I think beating up the AD over this Wilson thing is a little overzealous. That said, our marketing efforts do need to be taken up a notch. With all of the marketing degrees that have come out of Charlotte, I think it would be a great idea for the AD to form some action committees and get free support. Get current marketing students involved as well. Side benefit is that when alumni are more involved in the university they are going to participate and contribute at deeper levels.[/quote]

It isn’t beating them up over not getting back to Wilson - it is beating them up because doing something like not getting back to him is the normal way of doing business for us. In addition having a phone call go unanswered during the day at an AD of our size is uncalled for. Most days they all go to lunch at the same time. I have said it before and I say it again - they run the AD the same way they did 20 years ago. The problem is we arent the same school as we were 20 years ago. The problem is people think that attacks on the AD are personal - they aren’t at all for me and many. We would just like to see us be better than we are. Things like having someone answer a phone between 12-1 and getting back to the media within 24 hrs are low fruit. If we can’t do simple things like that how much faith in them should I have that they can grow our donor base and drive ticket sales - not to mention the lack of information that flows out of the AD, no vision and the uncalled for conduct at the final Major presser. Judy has been here 24 years in her role. 24! I am pretty sure that puts her on the upper end of longest serving ADs. We simply need new blood from some one who actually gets the job because they deserve it, not because the mens basketball coach said no. She is the definition of mediocre. If she was some amazing AD she would have been hired away if she had been awful she would have been fired. We have simply outgrown her mediocre leadership and need someone in her place that can work with donors better, who excites and energizes a growing alumni base and who can deliver on the enormous potential we have.

Plenty of us have offered ourselves and our time. They aren’t interested in it. Hell I have ambulance with niner stuff all over it and I have to search things out on my own to do to help support the school. On a side note the alumni association is much better to work with.

Our AD is a lot like our Federal Government…Out of Touch

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:22, topic:28956”][quote=“ninermike, post:21, topic:28956”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:20, topic:28956”][quote=“ninermike, post:19, topic:28956”]I think some of the “concerned citizens” of NNN should volunteer to answer phones at the AD to ensure messages are properly received. They are obviously inadequate in this regard and until Judy Rose retires these communication breakdowns will happen often and likely increase in frequency. If you really care about our University, please step up. I’ve already taken Monday morning’s from 8am to 12pm. We especially need people to fill in for the all important lunchtime slot. I’m working on having your volunteer time count towards your annual giving as well. Only $10/hr but just 50 hours will give you enough to earn a parking pass in the black lot. Time to step up NinerNation! We didn’t sit idle when we wanted a football team so let’s sure as hell not sit idle when we need a few phone calls answered and returned!!

In all seriousness I think beating up the AD over this Wilson thing is a little overzealous. That said, our marketing efforts do need to be taken up a notch. With all of the marketing degrees that have come out of Charlotte, I think it would be a great idea for the AD to form some action committees and get free support. Get current marketing students involved as well. Side benefit is that when alumni are more involved in the university they are going to participate and contribute at deeper levels.[/quote]

It isn’t beating them up over not getting back to Wilson - it is beating them up because doing something like not getting back to him is the normal way of doing business for us. In addition having a phone call go unanswered during the day at an AD of our size is uncalled for. Most days they all go to lunch at the same time. I have said it before and I say it again - they run the AD the same way they did 20 years ago. The problem is we arent the same school as we were 20 years ago. The problem is people think that attacks on the AD are personal - they aren’t at all for me and many. We would just like to see us be better than we are. Things like having someone answer a phone between 12-1 and getting back to the media within 24 hrs are low fruit. If we can’t do simple things like that how much faith in them should I have that they can grow our donor base and drive ticket sales - not to mention the lack of information that flows out of the AD, no vision and the uncalled for conduct at the final Major presser. Judy has been here 24 years in her role. 24! I am pretty sure that puts her on the upper end of longest serving ADs. We simply need new blood from some one who actually gets the job because they deserve it, not because the mens basketball coach said no. She is the definition of mediocre. If she was some amazing AD she would have been hired away if she had been awful she would have been fired. We have simply outgrown her mediocre leadership and need someone in her place that can work with donors better, who excites and energizes a growing alumni base and who can deliver on the enormous potential we have.

Plenty of us have offered ourselves and our time. They aren’t interested in it. Hell I have ambulance with niner stuff all over it and I have to search things out on my own to do to help support the school. On a side note the alumni association is much better to work with.[/quote]

I don’t think any of these complaints have crossed over into personal territory. I don’t see that at all. Nothing wrong with things to be better. We can respect what has been accomplished while at the same time want things to improve.

What was the “uncalled for conduct at the last Major presser”? Not sure what that refers to.

My mistake on word choice - it was last Coach’s show. Judy’s conduct and tone were unacceptable. We came with facts and hard questions, she responded with a tone of “how dare you question me”, had the entire AD at the show for backup and he overall attitude was totally bush league. Major on the other hand actually did well for once.

Gee, where I work they stagger lunches, so we have the phones covered from 12-1. What a novel concept?
And backing up what NWA said, it is unprofessional to tell your spouse and underlings to cheer like it’s a ball game before and after every commercial break so it looks like you have more support than you do. If a bank Ceo did that, the media would crucify that Ceo.

I think you are the perfect candidate to head this up. Your expertise in numerous fields should provide the necessary knowledge to carry out this important task.

I’m not sure that we should have an FBS team if we can’t afford someone to answer the phones. This sounds like they are running a multi-million dollar operation like a blueberry farm. I mean are there really requests for people to volunteer to answer the phone. That’s pathetic.

No one there to answer the phone? That sounds sort of like Mayberry.

https://www.google.com/search?q=barney+fife+on+phone+photos&tbm=isch&imgil=lM-eCXeZA5B_zM%253A%253Bw4flYvAnnVpKmM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Flumbertonoutpost.com%25252Fthe-fda-all-about-fads%25252F&source=iu&usg=__W6LuORdV-2hKwlJ9J98sMAOJNaI%3D&sa=X&ei=Cq76U_xhh-SwBOCgguAO&ved=0CDYQ9QEwCw&biw=1607&bih=765&dpr=0.85#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=6cT58tjPScyANM%253A%3BYgS15J49WNEQDM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F4.bp.blogspot.com%252F-AQjXrQj1LdE%252FTdsTINwZODI%252FAAAAAAAAAIo%252FS0PwJAKWCmM%252Fs1600%252FBarney%252BFife.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fnorainonmysuede.blogspot.com%252F2011_05_01_archive.html%3B325%3B300

Wilson heard back from the school finally - we are a go! Friday morning! Please come join us!

NWA, I have a few questions for those of us that are interested in coming that have never been to one of these events. Where is the event happening? What time should we arrive? And do you know what the parking situation is going to be like?

Thanks for asking - kinda dropping the ball there aren’t I?

Assuming we do this where we did last year it will be the opposite end of the field house in the lot around the stadium.
First live shot is at 6AM - I am aiming to be there around 5:30. Parking at that hour is easy. By the time the lot start filling up we will be out.
Last live shot is at 9:30AM.

For anyone interested I think I will grab lunch at Hickory Tavern to eat in remembrance where it all started.

Bump - this is tomorrow, its early but its fun

Good crowd out this morning. Wilson talked to Lambert, Judy, band director, student body pres, a few other students and some alums. AD did a better job than in the past of making use of the airtime. Ambulance broke down on the way out - same damn belt issue - but I was able to make it out with Tricky and we represented NinerNation along with 49erAlumnus and ItsBraille. Thanks for coming guys!

Good to hear. If there is a option to view archived online, please post. Thanks!

http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/rising/wilsons-world/Wilsons-At-UNC-Charlotte-As-Niner-Nation-Prepares-For-Football-Season-274084691.html

thanks

My takeaways:

1. Cheerleaders and Dusters think Wilson is a boring old man
  2. Judy said 13,500 tickets sold so far, but gave no context of how many remained to those not familiar with the program, expected “strong walkup”… also, people shouldn’t eat both breakfast and lunch at tailgates
  3. We might see preview of marching band uniforms at Homecoming, if not then, Spring Game
  4. Groundbreaking for marching band facility in October
  5. Expect 150 member band
  6. NWA needs a 454 motor :slight_smile:

I know it was early on a Friday morning, but kinda wish the crowd was larger from what I could tell from the photos. I saw the cheer squads, talking heads, and about 4 students and 4 alums. And Norm.

[quote=“emf, post:38, topic:28956”]My takeaways:

2. Judy said 13,500 tickets sold so far, but gave no context of how many remained to those not familiar with the program, expected “strong walkup”… also, people shouldn’t eat both breakfast and lunch at tailgates
  3. We might see preview of marching band uniforms at Homecoming, if not then, Spring Game

I know it was early on a Friday morning, but kinda wish the crowd was larger from what I could tell from the photos. I saw the cheer squads, talking heads, and about 4 students and 4 alums. And Norm.[/quote]

Eh? What does that mean?

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:39, topic:28956”][quote=“emf, post:38, topic:28956”]My takeaways:

I know it was early on a Friday morning, but kinda wish the crowd was larger from what I could tell from the photos. I saw the cheer squads, talking heads, and about 4 students and 4 alums. And Norm.[/quote]

Eh? What does that mean?[/quote]

Its like apple pie…