Roller Hockey Team Going to Nationals

Apparently we have a roller hockey team and they want money to go to nationals.

Those unis they are wearing at the beginning of the video with the old school Norm logo are bad ass.

at 1:49 one of them is wearing tar heel pants.

at 1:49 one of them is wearing tar heel pants.[/quote]

I think thats the other team.

It’s sad the school isn’t giving them much that they have to ask for $.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/25/3810439/charlotte-49ers-roller-hockey.html
I can’t believe the O covered it.

i wish we had gotten that coverage when i played for them. im proud of them.

This is great. Good luck guys!

The O article online didn’t make print, though.

It’s rec sports, not dept. of athletics. They have a set budget… every club team gets a set amount to cover basic operating expenses, but after that they’re on their own.

I know Lew, but it’s the Nationals, cough up some more, whether it’s SGA, AD Office, or school Admin.

Where’s it going to come from? If Rec Sports still has some cash left in its budget then that’s cool… but beyond that you’re talking the general fund, which has SGA ties and has to be proven to provide across-the-boards benefit.

Plus, look at that precedent. We’ve got a lot of sports clubs, many of which compete at a rather high level in their respective leagues. Lacrosse and rugby come to mind. It is understood from the get-go as a club sports participant that any expenses beyond the original budget falls on the players. If you erase that and allow the roller hockey team to go to their tournament on the school’s dime, how many sports teams will then line up expecting the same treatment?

Personally, I like the way the team is approaching it. I’ll donate a few bucks their way… if we can afford to, I think we all should. But I don’t get the feeling that they expect the school to pay for them, and I definitely don’t think that we should either.

The school should help them all.

http://pickaxedigest.com/2013/03/29/niner-notepad-charlotte-49ers-club-roller-hockey-skating-to-playoffs/

Rec. Services should copy the AD’s Off. They could have a 49er Club, & ask 70K for $49, & split among all clubs. Maybe they’d be better at asking than the AD’s Off. is. Haha.

the difference between the roller hockey team and the other teams is that the roller hockey team competes at a significantly higher level than any other club team. there is no scholarship roller hockey so kids that would be playing it are playing club. i played for the team a few years ago. collegiate roller hockey is really big and plays at a scholarship level.

If anyone is interested, the team has made it to the final 16 teams for the Division II National Championship.