Ruffin McNeill Fired at ECU

One cool thing about ecu-
This decision is driven by gang of alum wanting to compete. Not an AD decision.

[quote=“Oldrowniner, post:21, topic:30020”]One cool thing about ecu-
This decision is driven by gang of alum wanting to compete. Not an AD decision.[/quote]

If your definition of a “gang” is handful of large donors then yes. I hope they are ready for a couple 3-4 wins seasons because that is what is likely over the next couple years.

This is the part of college football that drives me crazy. This isn’t the NFL, a coaching change isn’t going to be an overnight solution. Ruffin is a year removed from a 10 win seasonand they’ve beaten UNC (X2), NC State, and VT under his watch.

Good thing about this is it will probably bring a couple extra guys our way.

i’m seeing a lot of surprise and thinking this was a bad move, but I understand it.

We hear a lot of “coach needs time to get his own guys in there” and in his 6th season they were 5-7 and not bowling.

Three of those wins were Towson, SMU, and UCF. Those three teams combined for 2 FBS wins total, North Texas and Tulane, both by SMU.

The only team they were better than in the East (which includes UCONN) is UCF, a team we would be favored against if it were at home.

The time had come to extend him or go another direction. His record was trending down the further he got from Skip Holtz’s team, he’s 57 years old, and he wasn’t the AD’s man.

It’s probably not the move I would have made as an AD (if I were), but I understand.

Ruff lost 2 of the most productive players ever at ECU: Shane Carden (QB) and Justin Hardy (WR). Hardy has the NCAA record for most receptions in a career. I guess the downfall is you beat a VT but can’t get some of the “jv” (seen that in the media) teams in AAC. Ruff was awesome guy on his radio interviews and he will be missed. I hope this doesn’t mean more air time to David Cutcliff talk about the Mannings on Raleigh area sports radio.

[quote=“ninerID, post:23, topic:30020”]i’m seeing a lot of surprise and thinking this was a bad move, but I understand it.

We hear a lot of “coach needs time to get his own guys in there” and in his 6th season they were 5-7 and not bowling.

Three of those wins were Towson, SMU, and UCF. Those three teams combined for 2 FBS wins total, North Texas and Tulane, both by SMU.

The only team they were better than in the East (which includes UCONN) is UCF, a team we would be favored against if it were at home.

The time had come to extend him or go another direction. His record was trending down the further he got from Skip Holtz’s team, he’s 57 years old, and he wasn’t the AD’s man.

It’s probably not the move I would have made as an AD (if I were), but I understand.[/quote]

I completely understand why they went this route but there isn’t a non-cartel team that can reload every year like Alabama and Ohio State.

The AAC pretty much had a banner year and they played BYU and Florida within a TD. Personally, I give him that final year on his contract as a make or break season.

They better have some in the works that can make them a NC contender.

Interesting read.

http://eastcarolina.247sports.com/Board/59438/Contents/From-Athletic-Committee-to-Chairman-of-the-ECU-Board-of-Trustees-41746791

[quote=“upperdeck, post:26, topic:30020”]Interesting read.

http://eastcarolina.247sports.com/Board/59438/Contents/From-Athletic-Committee-to-Chairman-of-the-ECU-Board-of-Trustees-41746791[/quote]

clt says it is impossible for anyone to be in the shadow of Lebo.

Their stadium sux.

I’m thinking they fired him because he only had two years left. They could either extend or fire. We would have extended and fired after next season.

It kills me that Lebo still has a job over there.[/quote]
Sucks?
[/quote]

Yes. Sucks.

If that sucks, what does it make JRS?

clt says their stadium is big and crappy. Our stadium is small and very nice.

Dowdy-Ficklen is what it is. An unplanned expansion stadium built up over decades. Most college stadiums of that size are a hodge-podge combo. Otherwise you have to tear the whole thing down and start over like Louisville and Houston did. That’s one of the good things about JRS, we can add via a plan and not have it look like we dropped some random crap in.

Personally, I prefer a larger stadium. My guess is most recruits had rather play in front of 50,000 fans rather than 15,000 fans. I hope our football program reaches that of ECU. Now basketball… that’s a different story.

Fans and stadium aren’t the same thing. Rice has a 60k (or at least it was prior to the latest renovation) stadium that sits empty most weekends. Also ECU averages around 40k fans.

I’d love to have 40k regular fans and our stadium built out to accommodate them. That’s how big Houston’s new stadium is and it looked fantastic Saturday.

[quote=“Oldrowniner, post:21, topic:30020”]One cool thing about ecu-
This decision is driven by gang of alum wanting to compete. Not an AD decision.[/quote]

That’s good? Firing a coach that brought them success and they played this year without their 1st and 2nd quarterback both hurt just before the season started… sad is my reaction not “cool”.

[quote=“chasmo101, post:34, topic:30020”][quote=“Oldrowniner, post:21, topic:30020”]One cool thing about ecu-

That’s good? Firing a coach that brought them success and they played this year without their 1st and 2nd quarterback both hurt just before the season started… sad is my reaction not “cool”.[/quote]
hell ya its great! Every top 50 BCS program functions as such…hopefully one day UNCC in same boat, vs the joke today who don’t have school’s best interest.

alumni should control the AD decisions. Its their school. Not the AD’s. Or you get a blue hair knitting club like UNCC full of people who just want fellowship.

word coming out, AD asked he make some staff changes and he was too loyal to them and refuse.

So would I. Do you think we’ll ever have those 80,000 students?

So I see ECU isn’t dedicated to winning.

[quote=“Oldrowniner, post:35, topic:30020”][quote=“chasmo101, post:34, topic:30020”][quote=“Oldrowniner, post:21, topic:30020”]One cool thing about ecu-

That’s good? Firing a coach that brought them success and they played this year without their 1st and 2nd quarterback both hurt just before the season started… sad is my reaction not “cool”.[/quote]
hell ya its great! Every top 50 BCS program functions as such…hopefully one day UNCC in same boat, vs the joke today who don’t have school’s best interest.

alumni should control the AD decisions. Its their school. Not the AD’s. Or you get a blue hair knitting club like UNCC full of people who just want fellowship.

word coming out, AD asked he make some staff changes and he was too loyal to them and refuse.[/quote] Alums are always wise and right when it comes to athletics. We should let them control the entire university, as a matter of fact.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:38, topic:30020”][quote=“Oldrowniner, post:35, topic:30020”][quote=“chasmo101, post:34, topic:30020”][quote=“Oldrowniner, post:21, topic:30020”]One cool thing about ecu-

word coming out, AD asked he make some staff changes and he was too loyal to them and refuse.[/quote] Alums are always wise and right when it comes to athletics. We should let them control the entire university, as a matter of fact.[/quote]
Didn’t say that. But controlling own destiny by passionate people who care for THE PROGRAM over ones career/legacy or social agenda is always better. See our last 2 decades.

ADs are like an NFL commissioner, doing the will of shareholders.

Our AD is doing the will of “the shareholders”. According to lots of people, that is the problem. According to lots of people, our “shareholders” are the wrong people with the wrong attitude.