Ryan Odom honored

Former Niner assistant and interim head coach Ryan Odom named top first year coach in D-I after leading UMBC to 21-13 record in 2016-17 after a seven win campaign by Retrievers in 2015-16.

Hoopdirt.com: Ryan Odom Earns Joe B. Hall Award as Nation’s Top First-Year Head Coach

Well, doesn’t this make us look stupid. Congratulations Coach Odom.

Good for him !
I always liked Ryan, hope his future is full of NCAA trips!

Lots of things make us look stupid. This is just another on a long list.

To paraphrase and modify an old song: and the shit beat goes on.

Makes me look stupid. I thought he didn’t seem like a good game coach. Coming into year 1 and doing that at UMBC, you have to be a good game coach. I don’t see them bringing in high level recruits.

Congratulations coach Odom.

Makes me look stupid. I thought he didn’t seem like a good game coach. Coming into year 1 and doing that at UMBC, you have to be a good game coach. I don’t see them bringing in high level recruits.

Congratulations coach Odom.[/quote]

Hard to judge his time here. He was placed on the staff by the AD not hired by the head coach, elevated to HC when Major stepped away from the bench but was still around the team, forced to coach a team while his boss was still around and who could be returning the following season. Just not a recipe to see what he could do with his own team.

Imagine being given your bosses job, but your boss is still sitting in the room and they might be your boss again. Not exactly empowering to make the changes needed or command respect from the people on the team.

Hard to judge his time here. He was placed on the staff by the AD not hired by the head coach, elevated to HC when Major stepped away from the bench but was still around the team, forced to coach a team while his boss was still around and who could be returning the following season. Just not a recipe to see what he could do with his own team.

Imagine being given your bosses job, but your boss is still sitting in the room and they might be your boss again. Not exactly empowering to make the changes needed or command respect from the people on the team.[/quote]

Major was sitting in on team meetings while he was out for medical leave?

Damn I hope we get some good news soon…

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 46m46 minutes ago:
2017 PF Moses Wright (Garner Road) will take an official visit this weekend to Georgia Tech, per a source.

Imagine being given your bosses job, but your boss is still sitting in the room and they might be your boss again. Not exactly empowering to make the changes needed or command respect from the people on the team.[/quote]

Major was sitting in on team meetings while he was out for medical leave?[/quote]

For a time he was still around the team, just not coaching on gameday. I don’t know if he was physically in the meetings - I was speaking more metaphorically.

He didn’t get a fair shot here, would have been nice if we could have kept him and some of those recruits/players in place.

3 Likes

Well deserved, I always liked Ryan…he just got caught in the crap storm here and never had a chance.

Wonder when he’s gonna get poached, he’s done a good job there.

I wasn’t looking to hire Odom at the end of his time here, but it sure is ironic that we let him go, did the Mark Price experiment, and on the day Odom made history (and kicked Sanchez’s butt) we hire Sanchez.