Sad state of college bball from the perspective of super agent David Faulk

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-174/David-Falk-Explains.html

Interesting read.

good read. its why college bbal will always be better than the NBA. of course you could say that the state of affairs associated with the NBA make college ball what it is… but ho hum.

unless they are referring to the recruitment of HS players into college… in which case its highly disturbing.

[QUOTE=Anborn;319174]good read. its why college bbal will always be better than the NBA. of course you could say that the state of affairs associated with the NBA make college ball what it is… but ho hum.

unless they are referring to the recruitment of HS players into college… in which case its highly disturbing.[/QUOTE]

The way I interpret the story is Faulk found out recently that a college player he was interested in as a potential client was already spoken for due to the player receiving $500,000 3 years ago. That being the case, the player was still in high school and thus was directed to go to a certain college where the person who paid the money had established connections that would help him get the best return on his $500,000 investment.

Agents aren’t going to be paying pros money to obtain their services, it wouldn’t make any sense. $500,000 to a pro basketball player is not significant, but it is to a regular HS kid and his family.

The way I interpret the story is Faulk found out recently that a college player he was interested in as a potential client was already spoken for due to the player receiving $500,000 3 years ago. That being the case, the player was still in high school and thus was directed to go to a certain college where the person who paid the money had established connections that would help him get the best return on his $500,000 investment.

Agents aren’t going to be paying pros money to obtain their services, it wouldn’t make any sense. $500,000 to a pro basketball player is not significant, but it is to a regular HS kid and his family.

thats pretty jacked up then.

$500,000 to a pro basketball player is not significant

you don’t really believe that do you?

[QUOTE=metro;319207]you don’t really believe that do you?[/QUOTE]

I’m not talking about the average veteran in the league or 2nd round draft pick. If an agent is willing to put up $500,000 for a players services chances are the player does not have anywhere close to that amount and thus is most likely in HS or college.

NBA agents receive 4% commission, so $500,000 is a years commission off of a $12.5 million per year player. Unless the player is really underpaid and the agent sells him on the idea he can get much more than he currently makes then I could see a scenario like this. But if a guy is making $12.5-$20 million a year he probably also has endorsements (not always handled by the agent), which in the end $500,000 is somewhere between 1-3% of their annual income. I don’t think a player is going to take $500,000 if that is only 1% of their annual income just to change agents, as most agents are selected by connections and reputation and an agent with a good rep won’t need to pay for an athletes services.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;319212]I’m not talking about the average veteran in the league or 2nd round draft pick. If an agent is willing to put up $500,000 for a players services chances are the player does not have anywhere close to that amount and thus is most likely in HS or college.

NBA agents receive 4% commission, so $500,000 is a years commission off of a $12.5 million per year player. Unless the player is really underpaid and the agent sells him on the idea he can get much more than he currently makes then I could see a scenario like this. But if a guy is making $12.5-$20 million a year he probably also has endorsements (not always handled by the agent), which in the end $500,000 is somewhere between 1-3% of their annual income. I don’t think a player is going to take [B]$500,000 if that is only 1% of their annual income[/B] just to change agents, as most agents are selected by connections and reputation and an agent with a good rep won’t need to pay for an athletes services.[/QUOTE]

if 500,000 is only one precent of their salary, then that player makes 50 million dollars a year. No athlete except tiger makes more than 43 million (he makes 100 million). KObe is the highest basketball player at 32.9, followed by MJ at 31, and Lebron at 27.3 miilion. So the most marketable player since MJ makes 27.3 million of which 500,000 is 2% of. O yes, Kobe, Lebron, and KG probably don’t care, but 98% of them would.

Surprise of the year out of LA: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3390757&sportCat=ncb

Another surprise out of Kansas: http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/051608aak.html

[QUOTE]WFAA documented three instances of where Arthur had grades altered, including when he was a freshman in 2002-03. Former math teacher Winford Ashmore told the station that he was approached by former principal Donald Moten and current basketball coach James Mays about raising Arthur’s grade.

When Ashmore refused, Arthur was taken out of the class, and later received a 70 on his transcript, the report stated.

“Since Darrell Arthur really did not pass algebra, which means he did not clear the (NCAA) clearinghouse, that also means that he really should not have been eligible for a Division I major college scholarship,” Ashmore told WFAA.

Mays is refuting the story, stating that Arthur had a 3.0 grade point average at Kansas this past semester.

It is unknown how this allegation will affect Kansas, which claimed its first national title since 1988.[/QUOTE]

In response, the NCAA is said to be so mad over this blatant violation involving a BCS school that they have considered taking away another year of eligibility from former player Marcus Bennett.

In response, the NCAA is said to be so mad over this blatant violation involving a BCS school that they have considered taking away another year of eligibility from former player Marcus Bennett.

:lmao: That was a good one.