Samsung LED TV's

Anyone have one? We’ve thought about getting one, either a 46" or maybe a 55"

I almost bought one. The side lighting of their popular sets produces a feature called blooming or clouding. It’s an uneven coloraization/lighting and you can especially see it at closer range with a white background.

It’s not a deal breaker, but the desirous feature of an LED TV is “locally dimmed”. That’s a better tech, though it’s not as ultra thin, so you lose some wow factor.

this is gonna sound like a weird criticism but the ones they have at best buy that broadcast in 240 hz (i think?) or the “hyper-real” setting make the picture look almost fake. i dont know really how to explain it but you might understand what i mean if you see for yourself. or i’m just crazy. both are possibilities.

I dont like the 240Hz LCD’s. A lot of people that bought them turned that feature off.

Besides continuing to improve and make available locally dimmed LEDs, I think the TVmarket has plateuad right now. OLED is flopping because of impractical production costs - Sony has scaled way back on its production cause they can’t sell 11" OLED screens for $2,500 each. Surprising, huh?

Might be a good time to buy…

The samsung rep that comes into the store I work at told me 240hz makes no difference because the eye cannot perceive the difference anyway. Sony rep told us the same thing.

I personally don’t like the samsung LED televisions. I like the LG LH90 much more. It’s not thin, but the picture is better. The samsung’s don’t do local dimming very well and the whites appear to have a bluish hue.

yep. totally agree.

Another thing to keep in mind: A LED IS and LCD television. The only difference is the backlight is an LED bulb rather than flourescent. They consume less power and emit less heat, but ultimately a high end LCD will give you the same picture. The dynamic contrast ratios are advertised as much higher than those on LCD’s, but the native contrast is virtually the same.

just sayin…if you decide on getting one, come support a fellow niner.

Of the tv’s we sell, i have been the most impressed with the LED’s. from what I could tell, they offered the brightest, clearest picture of all we have on the floor.

[quote=“The Lax, post:8, topic:22480”]just sayin…if you decide on getting one, come support a fellow niner.[/quote]I agree. If you are in Charlotte moss, come buy it from me. We’ll match any price and I could use the commission.

Yea, I have to see if I’m getting this new job. I was really tempted due to price. I saw a 46" LED 120hz at HHgregg for about 1300 (openbox). Best Buy had quite a few open box items as well. I prefer to buy Samsung, because I’ve never had any issues with their products. Just bought a blu-ray tonight (BD1600) for $123 at HHgregg.

Main thing I want is to ensure I get 120hz.

HH Gregg will negotiate any price. That’s my favorite thing about shopping there.

What do you guys think is the top LCD out there right now for Samsungs?

750 series. 8500 series if you want to count the LED’s since they are LCD’s too. If you wait a month, the 2010 models will be out. Right now you’re going to get your best prices, but it’s hard to find stuff in stock. Basically around late February to late March manufacturers stop sending us the previous year models and many of the new year models aren’t out yet. It’s not quite as big an issue with the higher end stuff, but it will begin to be within the next week or two.

Also, even 120hz is overstated. I watch TV all day, mostly football and basketball, picture plays exactly the same. The vast majority of your motion blur comes from the source, not the television itself.

Don’t just take my word for it, CNET has done a number of articles about the subject:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-10243372-82.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6475_7-6594645.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6792632-1.html

That being said, all of your middle of the road to high end LCD’s will be at least 120hz anyway.

I prefer the plasma above all else anyway. Faster refresh rate, better colors, and much better response time. The only real downside is the fact that they consume more power, but it’s not going to make a substantial difference on your power bill. Lifespan is the same and burn in is no longer an issue. You get all this at half the cost of a comparable sized (or smaller) LED or LCD.

Plasmas scare me with the ghosting, just don’t feel like having to worry about it. I watch ESPN way too much and play video games quite often as well.

The biggest aspect for me with the LED TV’s is they weigh less than other TV’s and will but less stress on a wall that I mount it to.

[quote=“Niner National, post:9, topic:22480”][quote=“The Lax, post:8, topic:22480”]just sayin…if you decide on getting one, come support a fellow niner.[/quote]I agree. If you are in Charlotte moss, come buy it from me. We’ll match any price and I could use the commission.[/quote]Where do you work?

We both work at Sears. National in Charlotte, and I in Winston

[quote=“moss2k, post:14, topic:22480”]Plasmas scare me with the ghosting, just don’t feel like having to worry about it. I watch ESPN way too much and play video games quite often as well.

The biggest aspect for me with the LED TV’s is they weigh less than other TV’s and will but less stress on a wall that I mount it to.[/quote]

I have a 42" Hitachi Plasma that I bought 4 years ago and it has an amzing picture and I have never had any signs of a burn. We just got a new Samsung 50" plasma for free with some furniture from rooms to go and while the picture is ok…I have seen two image burns already. The first came from the ESPN side bars, and the other from leaving my xbox paused while I ran to the bathroom. Fortunately there is a burn removal program in the tv that after about 5 mins cleared it up.

Having to watch out for burns gets really annoying.

That’s what she said.

[quote=“moss2k, post:14, topic:22480”]Plasmas scare me with the ghosting, just don’t feel like having to worry about it. I watch ESPN way too much and play video games quite often as well.

The biggest aspect for me with the LED TV’s is they weigh less than other TV’s and will but less stress on a wall that I mount it to.[/quote]

Ghosting is what LCD TV’s do - they leave trails due to their refresh delay. What you’re discussing is burn in, and I have a hard time believing anyone has that issue with a modern plasma. I have a 54" Panasonic and I’ve done tons of things that should have rightly burned something in (and by the way, that can be fixed rather easily with some software tools loaded on the TV), and I’ve never had any problem. Not one case of burn in.

The only negative experience I have had is a developing story on CNet. It seems that panasonic’s engineers programmed the firmware for all of their 2009 plasmas to automatically increase the brightness of the TV over time to compensate for the natural dimming effect. Looks like they were waaaay overagressive, as it starts after just the 500 hour mark. From a practical perspective, it means that the jet black darks that I originally had are now charcoal grey. It’s only noticeable in a dark room, but i did notice it and went looking for info and found that story. So far, Panny’s loudmouth PR guy is telling the public that it’s working as intended, but I suspect there will be a firmware update to fix it eventually.

Prior to that, it’s the best picture I’ve ever seen in a home, right there with a Kuro. I have a Toshiba 1080p LCD too, and while I like it, it doesn’t compare.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:19, topic:22480”][quote=“moss2k, post:14, topic:22480”]Plasmas scare me with the ghosting, just don’t feel like having to worry about it. I watch ESPN way too much and play video games quite often as well.

Ghosting is what LCD TV’s do - they leave trails due to their refresh delay. What you’re discussing is burn in, and I have a hard time believing anyone has that issue with a modern plasma. I have a 54" Panasonic and I’ve done tons of things that should have rightly burned something in (and by the way, that can be fixed rather easily with some software tools loaded on the TV), and I’ve never had any problem. Not one case of burn in.

The only negative experience I have had is a developing story on CNet. It seems that panasonic’s engineers programmed the firmware for all of their 2009 plasmas to automatically increase the brightness of the TV over time to compensate for the natural dimming effect. Looks like they were waaaay overagressive, as it starts after just the 500 hour mark. From a practical perspective, it means that the jet black darks that I originally had are now charcoal grey. It’s only noticeable in a dark room, but i did notice it and went looking for info and found that story. So far, Panny’s loudmouth PR guy is telling the public that it’s working as intended, but I suspect there will be a firmware update to fix it eventually.

Prior to that, it’s the best picture I’ve ever seen in a home, right there with a Kuro. I have a Toshiba 1080p LCD too, and while I like it, it doesn’t compare.[/quote]I meant to say burn. I was reading customer reviews last night and they kept using “ghosting” forthe plasmas and it slipped out as I typed.

We love our Samsung LCD and I don’t think I’ll be able to steer my wife away from them.