Science Building Rendering

Just came across this blog post from July 2016. Not sure how preliminary or conceptual this rendering is, but it seems to be the first look at what the new Science Building will be. The left side appears to be offices and the right labs and classrooms. Kinda wish they hadn’t gone with the Colvard split design, that’s just confusing and a waste of real estate.

http://www.payette.com/post/3285705-payette-awarded-unc-charlotte-new-science

This blog post is nearly a year old. I doubt this is in any way a rendering of what the actual building will look like. For one thing, you know it will be clad in brick and not white as shown, and I doubt this is even what the basic shape will look like. Plus, from this drawing , it is going to be a 4 story building that is somehow smaller than a relatively modest sized tree. I strongly suspect this is just generic “sciencey-building” for this company.

ghost of clt asks what is this, a science lab for ants?

South Elevation

West Elevation

https://www.payette.com/projects/project-update-unc-charlotte/

I’ve said this before, but for the amount of money they received and how much raving they’ve done I’m not super impressed. I know the servers and labs and whatnot are expensive but still. Its the most expensive education building in NC history. It should be more impressive than this.

1 Like

looks just like the CRI building, I wish they had at least some cutting edge modernism in it even if it was blended with the classical brick look.

You’ll eat your Morrocroft Special Brick and YOU’LL LIKE IT!

1 Like

I like the Morrocroft brick and traditional look of our new buildings, but hey, I think a bologna sandwich is tough to beat, so what do I know.

That’s the NC state library, I’m just saying our science building could look a little cutting edge, Like use the brick but it doesn’t need to b e A Brick

1 Like

I was in school when Colvard was built and opened. It was cutting edge. :face_vomiting:

And in winter it generates a cutting wind.

1 Like

clt says that UNC r building will look dated in 10 years.

Brick is classic.

1 Like

I don’t hate Colvard, it has a lot of character which cannot be said for this or many of the other buildings built during Phil’s tenure…

Functionaly the Colvard building sucks. It has a confusing layout and for the size of its footprint doesn’t offer a lot of usable space.

2 Likes

You could say the same for the Denny complex, Rowe, Burson, Smith and Cone. It’s more that stuff built in the 70s and 80s was just a mistake.

The current look of our campus is the result of work begun during Jim Woodward’s time as Chancellor. He felt that as we grew in size, academic offerings and reputation, that making our campus fit the picture in people’s minds of a significant university mattered.

1 Like

I definitely don’t mind the look at feel fo our buildings. It’s a classic design and will fit nicely once we’re in the $EC.

1 Like