Science & Math High

If you are a white male and exclude others, you're a bad person.

If you are “part of another group” and exclude white males, you’re a good person. You are celebrating your culture.

I just think the act of exclusion is wrong, not the type of people who are doing it.

i just don’t see what i’m being excluded from

I’m saying the mindset is wrong. Why segregate girls from boys? It’s disrespectful to think that someone might have a different learning style based on sex or race.

[QUOTE=survivor45;180277]It’s disrespectful to think that someone might have a different learning style based on sex or race.[/QUOTE]
I don’t think learning styles has a thing to do with it. Females are grossly under-represented in math and science programs nationwide. This new school is part of an initiative to increase and encourage female participation in those fields. I really don’t see what the big deal is.

I'm saying the mindset is wrong. Why segregate girls from boys? It's disrespectful to think that someone might have a different learning style based on sex or race.

what i’m saying is…why not? or who cares? or why does it matter? or how does it affect you?

It could also be said that white males with a European background are under-represented in math and sciences compared to males with an asian backbround. Could you imagine the reaction if a white-only school was created to fix the disparity?

Don’t stereotype. ‘Females’ shouldn’t be encouraged to join a female-only math and science school. Individuals should be encouraged to enroll in a math and science shool and not be lumped into some kind of category.

what i'm saying is...why not? or who cares? or why does it matter? or how does it affect you?

I’m anti-segregation.

If the UNCC Biotech Kannapolis Campus Science & Math High were all-girl by accident because none of the boys qualified, I’d be fine with that. I’m not fine when boys can’t even apply.
Even among feminists, they start to have a rift after childbirth between the ones w/ all girls & the ones who have all boys or some boys. The ones w/ boys want to quit demonizing all men, but the ones w/ all girls don’t want to.

I'm anti-segregation.
then don't apply to that school....apply to say... one of unc charlotte's tech programs or nc state or nc central or cccc or any number of institutions that are open to both sexes yet filled with an overwhelming number of men.

the point of this program is to increase the number of people going into tech/engineering programs. the reason it is aimed at women is because women are now more competitive than men when applying to college; however, they are choosing not to go into engineering programs. so, if fewer people (including men) are going into technical programs and the majority of qualified candidates being accepted to college are women and they aren’t going to into tech programs then where would you invest your money? without women going to into these programs we don’t have engineers and whitey loses a few more jobs to india.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;180285]Even among feminists, they start to have a rift after childbirth between the ones w/ all girls & the ones who have all boys or some boys. The ones w/ boys want to quit demonizing all men, but the ones w/ all girls don’t want to.[/QUOTE]

Huh? We’re talking about a high school here, not feminist psychology. How in the HELL is that relevant?

This is not discrimination - it’s just a school that intends to promote females in sciences. No one has sufficiently answered the question, “So what?” The idea that it’s discrimination doesn’t hold water. Males have many other opportunities. Females have other opportunities for that matter, but this school will be targeted to them. Good god, some people bitch for the sake of bitching.

I'm anti-segregation.

How do you feel about women joining the NFL or NBA? I think that is considered segregation also.

so what?
Saying it’s discrimation is the so what?
Discrimation is itself a bad end.
Do you say so what if the Klan wants to meet?

so what? Saying it's discrimation is the so what? Discrimation is itself a bad end. Do you say so what if the Klan wants to meet?

actually, i do and they can. as long as it is peaceful, they can meet in the middle of campus.

[QUOTE=allie49er;180297]How do you feel about women joining the NFL or NBA? I think that is considered segregation also.[/QUOTE]

I would not have a problem with women joining those leagues, aslong as they have the skills to play at that level. Giving them a position because they are women would be wrong. In addition, IF the NBA were to allow a female to play then the WNBA would have to be opened for males to play. It goes both ways.

The current state of professional athletics where males have a league and women have a league makes sense. It is dicriminatory, but based on athletic ability not gender.

I would not have a problem with women joining those leagues, aslong as they have the skills to play at that level. Giving them a position because they are women would be wrong. In addition, IF the NBA were to allow a female to play then the WNBA would have to be opened for males to play. It goes both ways.

The current state of professional athletics where males have a league and women have a league makes sense. It is dicriminatory, but based on athletic ability not gender.

I bet there are some females that do have the athletic ability to play in the NBA or NFL, but it would not be allowed because of their gender.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;180298]
Do you say so what if the Klan wants to meet?[/QUOTE]
I think the Klan is the most ass-backwards organization in the country, but it’s called the First Amendment. If they want to assemble peacefully there’s not a damn thing I can do about it.

Saying “Let’s open an all-girls school to get females geared towards the sciences” is not discrimination. Saying “Let’s open an all-girls school for the purpose of excluding men” is discrimination. I think there’s definitely a difference there.

[QUOTE=allie49er;180297]How do you feel about women joining the NFL or NBA? I think that is considered segregation also.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t have a problem, just as I don’t with Michelle Wie on PGA as long as, and this is the big point, they can compete and be competitive! In other words they are their due to talent, or in the business world qualifications. If they are only getting the opportunity due to gender or race, is where the issue lies. Lets take the sports analogy further, how about we apply “equal opportunity” to the NBA and college basketball. make it like the rest of the business world where qualification and talent doesn’t necessarily matter. what would this do to the end product?

all of that is different though because they are private(except college sports), this debate is about a publicly funded institution instituting discrimination/Bigotry with our tax dollars, which is a big reason of how it affects us and matters.

I would love to see it. I think that a handful of women could play in the NBA. Tennis I think women could be very competitive and golf I also think would be close. Football would see women crushed, I just don’t see women having the physical ability to compete in that sport.

so you are saying women are poorer athletes than men?

(and i’m going to overlook the last sentence because that is the dumbest thing i’ve ever read. how are the wnba and nba not segregated on the basis of gender and on that of talent? i don’t see okay male players being drafted by the Sting)

the key point is that if they play in these leagues, that they aren’t their purely do to gender and aren’t taking jobs away from males that are better/more qualified because of it. its bigotry based on a guilt complex. Can a male then play in WNBA or LPGA(which they have a case for now) if they are good enough? What if we say that the nba has to be representive by race and that each team must have over half the players be white.

shelby steele is on CSPAN right now talking about this very thing and why its bigoted, though its from the racial side more.

Here’s my rub: Again, it’s treating the symptoms and not the problem.

Why not look more inward and earlier to see -WHY- women (well, girls) are not interested in Math and the Natural Sciences? This program will probably cater to the few girls who would have excelled in one of those two fields anyway.