Science & Math High

Did y’all see in the Alum Mag that UNC Charlotte will support a new high school for science & math? While that’s good, & can bring those with science & math backgrounds to UNC Charlotte, the bad news is it’s only for high-achieving girls. What about the boys? Does our school not care about guys who study math & science? I thought the Supreme Court ruled in the Citadel case that public schools couldn’t discriminate based on sex? Why does our University not respect us males?

There’s an NC school in Durham near Duke that is either all guys or used to be at one point. Even if its co-ed, it’s almost all male.

The Durham School of Arts & Sciences used to be for almost nearly all guys, but in the past 10 years it has become more balanced. I knew plenty of females that went to there.

NC School of Science and Math in Durham is the 17th campus added to UNC.
http://www.ncssm.edu/

So it is co-ed. UNCC should make theirs co-ed.

So it is co-ed. UNCC should make theirs co-ed.

no, smart girls who make a lot of money are hot. when i was on campus i didn’t need any more competition. keep those smart male f#ckers at home.

Did y'all see in the Alum Mag that UNC Charlotte will support a new high school for science & math? While that's good, & can bring those with science & math backgrounds to UNC Charlotte, the bad news is it's only for high-achieving girls. What about the boys? Does our school not care about guys who study math & science? I thought the Supreme Court ruled in the Citadel case that public schools couldn't discriminate based on sex? Why does our University not respect us males?

That case was where females were not afforded equal opportunity as males (military college). The female colleges did not give the same type of education.

Women are sorely needed in the universities for the technical fields. I don’t know about now, but there must have been all of 5 women in engineering when I was at Charlotte. But there is no shortage of men.

I wish I could remember the case, but a school specifically for pregnant women would be ok, as long as they are not forced to go. It would provide a need in the community. A technical school for women seems to be along the same lines.

Discrimination is sometimes ok if there is no narrower means to solve a problem.

Discrimination is never okay.

Discrimination is never okay.

unless you like blondes

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;180175]Discrimination is never okay.[/QUOTE]
I don’t think it’s discrimination. Males can go anywhere and get a science- and math-oriented education. To make an effort to lure women into that field by establishing a school exclusively for them is productive.

It is quite simple it is OK to discriminate against white males and Christians. Society says that we are the dominate group and therefore privelged in society. Hiding behind this mindset all female groups or all black groups or other religious groups are afforded advantages by government and society that they would not dream of allowing for white males.

This type of thing kills me. You can not have it both ways. If you are receiving public money then discrimination is never ok… period. If it is a private group or institution then you should have the right to discriminate however you want. A private all male school should be able to stay that way or an all African American school should be able to stay that way without being forced to open their doors to someone outside of their target group.

in otherwords, public policy is based in bigotry(labeled “Social egineering”), instead of talent qualification…thanks to or as an excuse of bigotry and perceived(by some) bigotry that happened a long time ago mainly in the private sector…in short, “Payback”

maybe they can get Lawrence Summers to run this school since Harvard fired him recently as their President for making remarks about this very subject.

It is quite simple it is OK to discriminate against white males and Christians.

yeah, we’re a real burdened group

[QUOTE=49erPress;180241]yeah, we’re a real burdened group[/QUOTE]
You beat me to it. No one’s trying to keep white males down, people - freakin’ relax.

There is going to be an all-girls math and science high school in the biotech campus they are building in Kannapolis, too. How many smart girls are there around here?

[QUOTE=49erPress;180241]yeah, we’re a real burdened group[/QUOTE]

I did not say we were burden, just that it is ok to discriminate against that group. Do you not find that odd? That discrimination against almost ANY other group is villified, but against white males not only is it acceptable but in some cases it is celebrated.

its interesting that the very group that are very sensitive to stereotyping into groups and such are the very ones stereotyping ALL white males into a group…its not true to say “white males are hardly burdened” yes some have it made, but there are millions in this country that do not come from privaledged backgrounds and grew up poor, no connections, bad families, etc…what about them??? what about the kid from the white trash or orphan background who is smart and trying to make something of himself and is being discriminated against by race and gender?

Title IX has forced many public universities to drop various programs over the years like Wrestling(which we don’t have) trying to achieve the stupid 50/50 split in athletic funding.

get over your guilt people

its interesting that the very group that are very sensitive to stereotyping into groups and such are the very ones stereotyping ALL white males into a group...its not true to say "white males are hardly burdened" yes some have it made, but there are millions in this country that do not come from privaledged backgrounds and grew up poor, no connections, bad families, etc....what about them??? what about the kid from the white trash or orphan background who is smart and trying to make something of himself and is being discriminated against by race and gender?

yeah, everyday i read about that poor white farm kid who couldn’t make his fortune or get his job at the auto factory because he is being held down by the man.

This is not about discriminating against white males. Studies show that females are HIGHLY under-represented in math and sciences. Perhaps they have different learning styles or are socialized differently than males. Who knows. However, data also prove that more females than males are attending college. We (the US) already have a shortage of math and science talent. Developing more capable and confident female scientists is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Many are making the assumption that it’s a zero sum game. That is, if girls have special access to girl-only schools in the sciences then boys suffer. This is not necessarily the case.

As for the poor, oppressed white male… check out census and other data for a reality check. In terms of economics, home ownership, rates of employment, wealth accumulation, etc. white males are doing fine compared to some other groups.

If you are a white male and exclude others, you’re a bad person.

If you are “part of another group” and exclude white males, you’re a good person. You are celebrating your culture.

I just think the act of exclusion is wrong, not the type of people who are doing it.