SEC

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:13, topic:30741”][quote=“49erCC, post:11, topic:30741”][quote=“JudyPleaseRetire, post:9, topic:30741”]We have discussed this in depth on several occasions, including when an ESPN beat writer suggested the same thing.

I know for a fact this is a market the SEC would like to locate in (partially just to piss the ACC off). Not the only market, but definitely on the list.

We simply will not ever get there with current leadership. It’s gonna take an entrepreneur type AD with incredible connections, people skills, and deal making ability. The type that could startup a company and turn it into a 9 figure revenue business (because that’s what SEC programs are). Will we ever be so fortunate to get that type of leadership? Doubtful, but the ground is ripe for the right person.

Also, we would be roadblocked at every turn by the Triangle. Don’t doubt it for a second. We would need a coalition of local political and business leadership to power through those roadblocks.[/quote]NC State would be an SEC member today if not for the Triangle roadblocks and old timers loyal to the ACC[/quote]

And the $50 million ACC exit fee[/quote]

How many NC State fans do you know that want to leave the ACC for the SEC? I know 0. Many friends and classmates from the SEC have talked about going after UNC, but I know 0 UNC fans that want to leave for the SEC. Tobacco road is as a ACC as it gets. It’s a culture thing.

You also have to realize that the SEC would be splitting further profit by adding someone like NC State. They’d also be adding 2 schools, not 1. What 2 schools could they add to increase revenues enough to offset the costs of splitting the profit? Will they make enough money after all of this to justify the time and effort? I’d hardly say the SEC is in desperation mode. The B12 is the closest, and even they have been reluctant to expand. I lived in SEC country for a good while, went to an SEC school, and although I have heard many talks of power grabs - and actually it was UNC, Duke, and App State that I heard from teams in NC, they think they are the **** in everything and don’t really need it. That being said, all of that is talk from fans and alums, not the actual powers that be. I’m sure they would know that Duke and UNC are not leaving the ACC and that App doesn’t add enough value, but that’s the word on the ground. People actually really didn’t seem to know anything about NC State other than “Jim Valvano.” Funny how people forget that they were actually really really good before Valvano.

And to me, even though I am definitely not an NC State or UNC fan, I would not want either school to leave for the SEC, because to me, the soul of college sports is in the rivalries and the school pride. That, and winning of course. We miss all of those at Charlotte. We have become so bitter and salty and desperate for anything that we throw all these crazy ideas out there.

[quote=“Ben H, post:21, topic:30741”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:13, topic:30741”][quote=“49erCC, post:11, topic:30741”][quote=“JudyPleaseRetire, post:9, topic:30741”]We have discussed this in depth on several occasions, including when an ESPN beat writer suggested the same thing.

I know for a fact this is a market the SEC would like to locate in (partially just to piss the ACC off). Not the only market, but definitely on the list.

We simply will not ever get there with current leadership. It’s gonna take an entrepreneur type AD with incredible connections, people skills, and deal making ability. The type that could startup a company and turn it into a 9 figure revenue business (because that’s what SEC programs are). Will we ever be so fortunate to get that type of leadership? Doubtful, but the ground is ripe for the right person.

Also, we would be roadblocked at every turn by the Triangle. Don’t doubt it for a second. We would need a coalition of local political and business leadership to power through those roadblocks.[/quote]NC State would be an SEC member today if not for the Triangle roadblocks and old timers loyal to the ACC[/quote]

How many NC State fans do you know that want to leave the ACC for the SEC? I know 0. Many friends and classmates from the SEC have talked about going after UNC, but I know 0 UNC fans that want to leave for the SEC. Tobacco road is as a ACC as it gets. It’s a culture thing.

You also have to realize that the SEC would be splitting further profit by adding someone like NC State. They’d also be adding 2 schools, not 1. What 2 schools could they add to increase revenues enough to offset the costs of splitting the profit? Will they make enough money after all of this to justify the time and effort? I’d hardly say the SEC is in desperation mode. The B12 is the closest, and even they have been reluctant to expand. I lived in SEC country for a good while, went to an SEC school, and although I have heard many talks of power grabs - and actually it was UNC, Duke, and App State that I heard from teams in NC, they think they are the **** in everything and don’t really need it. That being said, all of that is talk from fans and alums, not the actual powers that be. I’m sure they would know that Duke and UNC are not leaving the ACC and that App doesn’t add enough value, but that’s the word on the ground. People actually really didn’t seem to know anything about NC State other than “Jim Valvano.” Funny how people forget that they were actually really really good before Valvano.

And to me, even though I am definitely not an NC State or UNC fan, I would not want either school to leave for the SEC, because to me, the soul of college sports is in the rivalries and the school pride. That, and winning of course. We miss all of those at Charlotte. We have become so bitter and salty and desperate for anything that we throw all these crazy ideas out there.[/quote]

Funny; I can name 25 off the top of my head that would love to see it.

Do you live in Charlotte? I wonder if it’s one of those Charlotte vs Raleigh divides? Everything here is ACC.

Do you live in Charlotte? I wonder if it’s one of those Charlotte vs Raleigh divides? Everything here is ACC.[/quote]

Richmond. It could be that the farther you are from the mother ship, the less ACC you feel?

Do you live in Charlotte? I wonder if it’s one of those Charlotte vs Raleigh divides? Everything here is ACC.[/quote]

Richmond. It could be that the farther you are from the mother ship, the less ACC you feel?[/quote]

That could definitely be it. I always thought Richmond was a pretty cool town. Raleigh is like ACC on steroids, and even wolfpack on steroids. Most places in NC seem to be UNC first, but Wake County, and a few other places are big wolfpack centers, and it seems like anything outside the ACC just doesn’t exist.

How many NC State fans do you know that want to leave the ACC for the SEC? I know 0. [/quote]

Funny; I can name 25 off the top of my head that would love to see it.[/quote]

Yeah, I know a few as well. There are a lot of NCSU fans who would like nothing better than to stick it to UNC-CH. Plus, I think some of them have conceded that they have an uphill battle to dethrone CH or Duke in bball. So in their minds, if they left for the SEC they might have better opportunity at having a better fball program than UNC-CH.

Things especially changed when they created the divisions and didn’t put NCSU and UNC-CH in the same division.

Test

[quote=“JudyPleaseRetire, post:9, topic:30741”]We have discussed this in depth on several occasions, including when an ESPN beat writer suggested the same thing.

Also, we would be roadblocked at every turn by the Triangle. Don’t doubt it for a second. We would need a coalition of local political and business leadership to power through those roadblocks.[/quote]

How about Mac Everett? He loves to volunteer, has all the credentials, connected to UNC Charlotte and could definitely make a difference. It’s a long shot but… See link below.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article9133067.html

clt asks if anyone saw this outside of JRS.

if we get in the SEC I will literally find a crow on the side of the road and eat it at a tailgate.

1 Like

CLT-2-SEC, am I right?

1 Like

clt says technically the sec will be coming to CLT