SEC

Forget our pursuit of AAC membership, how about the SEC, and now while they may be a little nervous. With Clemson’s National Championship and the ACC’s 9-3 Bowl record the SEC, especially the Gamecocks, are probably feeling a little pressure to do something. The SEC logically need a presence in the state of North Carolina. Do you not believe that SC, Georgia, Tenn, and really a host of other SEC teams are worried about Clemson dominating the recruiting market of Charlotte and the entire State of NC. If the SEC expanded into North Carolina all would instantly change. Old timers will not let any of the Big 4 leave the ACC and honestly I’m not sure App or ECU would necessarily bring the SEC what it would need for a variety of reasons. Charlotte could. Sounds crazy but think about. Now’s the time for action while there is a little panic. Didn’t I hear somewhere “never let a good crisis go to waste” well in the SEC world they may think of this as a crisis.

SEC to Judy: We’ll let you in the conference if you enlarge the football stadium.

Judy: Sorry, but We have no expansion plans for our Nice stadium.

Yeah, I’ll just leave this here:

If we got a good AD I could see it as a possibility…remote remote possibility.

But with our managing expectations and chatboard leadership no way. SEC doesn’t do managing expectations.

God bless you and your optimism but…

No

clt says we should consider an invite to the sec.

Think of this from the SEC’s prospective, not our beat down view. They want to add NC and have limited options. The SEC may be arrogant enough to believe they can make their next piece. Slap an SEC label on us and they have made us instantly credible. We possess the part the SEC cannot make. A large State University located in the largest city of the Carolina’s. In the early and mid 80’s did it seem possible to be only 10 years away from a conference affiliation with Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Marquette and winning on a regular basis. For anyone not around during our 5-23 less than 1,000 at our games the answer was no, it did not seem possible.

[quote=“49erCC, post:7, topic:30741”]Think of this from the SEC’s prospective, not our beat down view. They want to add NC and have limited options. The SEC may be arrogant enough to believe they can make their next piece. Slap an SEC label on us and they have made us instantly credible. We possess the part the SEC cannot make. A large State University located in the largest city of the Carolina’s. In the early and mid 80’s did it seem possible to be only 10 years away from a conference affiliation with Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Marquette and winning on a regular basis. For anyone not around during our 5-23 less than 1,000 at our games the answer was no, it did not seem possible.[/quote] Keep being optimistic.

We have discussed this in depth on several occasions, including when an ESPN beat writer suggested the same thing.

I know for a fact this is a market the SEC would like to locate in (partially just to piss the ACC off). Not the only market, but definitely on the list.

We simply will not ever get there with current leadership. It’s gonna take an entrepreneur type AD with incredible connections, people skills, and deal making ability. The type that could startup a company and turn it into a 9 figure revenue business (because that’s what SEC programs are). Will we ever be so fortunate to get that type of leadership? Doubtful, but the ground is ripe for the right person.

Also, we would be roadblocked at every turn by the Triangle. Don’t doubt it for a second. We would need a coalition of local political and business leadership to power through those roadblocks.

Conference alignment has little to do with logic and everything to do with money and academics. If we offer an attractive situation and an academic profile that fits then we have a shot.

[quote=“JudyPleaseRetire, post:9, topic:30741”]We have discussed this in depth on several occasions, including when an ESPN beat writer suggested the same thing.

I know for a fact this is a market the SEC would like to locate in (partially just to piss the ACC off). Not the only market, but definitely on the list.

We simply will not ever get there with current leadership. It’s gonna take an entrepreneur type AD with incredible connections, people skills, and deal making ability. The type that could startup a company and turn it into a 9 figure revenue business (because that’s what SEC programs are). Will we ever be so fortunate to get that type of leadership? Doubtful, but the ground is ripe for the right person.

Also, we would be roadblocked at every turn by the Triangle. Don’t doubt it for a second. We would need a coalition of local political and business leadership to power through those roadblocks.[/quote]NC State would be an SEC member today if not for the Triangle roadblocks and old timers loyal to the ACC

Vanderbilt’s stadium is 40,350 and they are smallest in the sec. This thread is sadly funny. Laughing through my tears at our dreams and aspirations. Tears and jokes be damned! Dream on! :)) :-[ :)) :stuck_out_tongue: :cry: :-[ :))

[quote=“49erCC, post:11, topic:30741”][quote=“JudyPleaseRetire, post:9, topic:30741”]We have discussed this in depth on several occasions, including when an ESPN beat writer suggested the same thing.

Also, we would be roadblocked at every turn by the Triangle. Don’t doubt it for a second. We would need a coalition of local political and business leadership to power through those roadblocks.[/quote]NC State would be an SEC member today if not for the Triangle roadblocks and old timers loyal to the ACC[/quote]

And the $50 million ACC exit fee

Vanderbilt’s stadium is 40,350 and they are smallest in the sec. This thread is sadly funny. Laughing through my tears at our dreams and aspirations. Tears and jokes be damned! Dream on! :)) :-[ :)) :stuck_out_tongue: :cry: :-[ :))[/quote]

You don’t go from 15k to SEC overnight. I get so tired of reading this crap. As I said, it would take a visionary AD who could build the program up in stages.

The Volunteers played their inaugural first game at the stadium on September 24, 1921 against Emory and Henry. A far cry from what the stadium can hold today, originally it could only seat 3,200 in a single tier grandstand located on the west side of the field. The first of 16 expansions of the stadium began in 1926, when a grandstand that could seat 3,600 was constructed. The same year, famous Vols head coach, Robert R. Neyland, began his tenure as head of the football program.

Expansions to the stadium have continued over the years. In 1929, an additional 11,060 seats were added on the west side, 12,000 seats on the east side in 1938, and stands were constructed in the south endzone by the 1948 season, bringing the capacity of the stadium to 46,390. Shields Watkins Stadium was renamed Neyland Stadium in 1962, after the famous Vols head coach. Also prior to that year, the first of the upper deck was constructed on the west side, boosting the capacity to over 50,000 and also adding a new modern press box. Additional seating was added in the north endzone and upper deck before the 1966, ‘68, ‘72, and ’80 seasons, increasing the seating capacity at Neyland Stadium to 91,249. In 1987, 42 luxury suites were added to the stadium and an additional 78 were added prior to the 2000 season. The last large addition to Neyland Stadium was completed before the 1996 season, when 10,642 seats were added in the north upper deck bringing the capacity to 104,544.

Charlotte is garbage and only 90 minutes from Columbia. We have a better chance at getting into to the WCC than the SEC.

Why do threads like this exist?

How about we win an FBS game at home and have the best D1 basketball team in Mecklenburg county before we start talking about changing conferences.

I’m sure the SEC would love to get into the NC Market. However they aren’t in a position where they need to be here yet. They can afford to wait and see how the landscape around them develops to see what options they have. That’s a good thing for this program because right now charlotte still has a lot of things to get worked out, and its questionable whether the current leadership can get the school on the right track.

Right now Charlotte needs to focus on winning, trying to develop connections with other P5 schools, and trying to develop the brand so that its more familiar in other parts of the country. Especially in the Big 12 and SEC regions where this school chances of moving up to the P5 are the greatest. Luckily for us CUSA’s map overlaps with both those conferences markets so we can develop the brand in those states while playing in CUSA. However it couldn’t hurt to try to schedule more Big 12 and SEC schools in our OOC schedule so that the presidents and chancellors in those schools can become more familiar with us and what we have to offer.

It is extremely unlikely that there is going to be any moves up to the P5. The teams outside the P5 just don’t move the needle as far as TV value and that’s what is driving everything. The schools that are close such as Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati are in general terms going to be blocked by other big schools in their states unless there is a small shake up with the big 12. But that’s likely not going to happen. Even if it does we are so low down the totem pole that it doesn’t matter.

It doesn’t even bare thinking about.

There is a bigger probability that we have to shut down our athletic program or go D3 than we ever go to P5.

We don’t have the history, profile, support or cachet to be invited to the P5. The days of upward mobility are over in college sports due to the fact that there has been so much consolidation in the upper tier conferences.

I used to dream big thoughts too. Back when we were in CUSA 1.0. But we missed our window.

Honestly at this point I wouldn’t mind the creation of a new FCS, G5 breakaway etc.

Sorry to be so pessimistic guys but I’ve been dealing with this crap for 24 years. It was fun back in the day but after CUSA 1.0 it stalled and now it seems to be getting worse every day. Yes I have a basketball centric outlook, yes the football team was better this year. But they will stall as well. Just wait. The people in charge of this ship don’t have the vision necessary to solidify this program. The marketing of this program, the in game experience, it’s just pathetic.

If I have to see that same video about our trip to the final four again I think I’m going to puke.

Can’t they put together any other video packages?

How about a package featuring some of the tourney title wins. Or big wins at home versus Louisville or Cincinnati.

It took us how many years to get rid of the norm in the laundry room commercial? How long will it take before they refresh the video packages and other entertainment related things in the arena?

It’s just amazing the lack of creativity shown by this organization.

I have been leaving games early lately. I may be losing it.

The fact that we were unable to get some front court players that can even compete athletically in this conference is a huge red flag on this staff.

And it’s such a shame considering the talent level in the back court.

Im dreading the off season.

We could see another flood of transfers.

Hell we have already had a transfer this year. A front court player when there were tons of minutes available.

What is going on here guys???

Come on guys. There is only one thing keeping us from joining the SEC right now. We have to find a conference for our soccer team. The SEC does not play soccer (Kentucky and USC play in CUSA), and CUSA may not allow our soccer team to remain in that league if we jump ship and take our strong basketball and football programs away from CUSA.

If not for this tiny issue, I’m sure we would be already be a member or soon be a member of the SEC.

:’( :’( :’(