Senator Hatch calls for BCS investigation!!!

Not sure how much good it will do, but it’s good to finally see them getting heat. I really like what Hatch is saying. He’s saying the common sense stuff that all non-BCS schools think, the BCS makes it much more difficult for non-BCS schools to compete, and most importantly by not creating a level playing field they may be creating antitrust violations.

And some people thought electing McCrory wouldn’t do anything for UNC Charlotte. Granted a governor is not the same as a senator, but these are the types you need on your side to have things change.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4311694

John Swofford = antichrist

who is that?

who is that?

The ACC Commish

John Swofford = antichrist

Along with Harvey Perlman. This man went to the Spangler/Friday school of PR.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/BCS-Chairman-Says-That-A-Playoff-Is-Not-An-Alternative-To-The-BCS-Blog-26352

The ACC Commish

Also BCS Coordinator. Not sure what’s the difference between Commissioner, Chairman, Coordinator.

a football playoff will solve some of these problems.

But even the proposed playoff would have 7 of the 8 as BCS teams. The non-BCS schools would be lucky to get 1 of 8.

But even the proposed playoff would have 7 of the 8 as BCS teams. The non-BCS schools would be lucky to get 1 of 8.
That's because the proposal pretty much came from BCS supporters. If we have playoffs, there will not be a BCS. Think about it.

Senator Hatch has a valid argument.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;418613]But even the proposed playoff would have 7 of the 8 as BCS teams. The non-BCS schools would be lucky to get 1 of 8.[/QUOTE]

A playoff, no matter how small it starts out, can always be expanded. The BCS, even if it includes 32 teams, will still be a POS because it SELECTS two teams to play for the title rather than them actually having to win a playoff to earn it on the field. Every other division of NCAA football has a 16-team playoff, and includes an auto-bid from all the conferences that meet the minimum requirements. There are too many scenarios to determine how the bids would be received (number of teams involved, conferences,etc.), the main thing right now is to just get the playoff in place. It can be tinkered with to make it right after it’s in place.

The BCS media talking heads are poo-pooing the Mountain West and WAC for signing the BCS agreement. They had no choice, other than to play I-AA. If you play D1 football and aren’t in the BCS, you are forced to take what scraps they give you right now. Hopefully Hatch will get this fixed. The problem right now is that he can’t get the other senators, even if they agree, to help him out. Even if they want to, they are afraid that they will be chastised for addressing THIS issue with the economy in shambles.

A playoff, no matter how small it starts out, can always be expanded. The BCS, even if it includes 32 teams, will still be a POS because it SELECTS two teams to play for the title rather than them actually having to win a playoff to earn it on the field. Every other division of NCAA football has a 16-team playoff, and includes an auto-bid from all the conferences that meet the minimum requirements. There are too many scenarios to determine how the bids would be received (number of teams involved, conferences,etc.), the main thing right now is to just get the playoff in place. It can be tinkered with to make it right after it's in place.

The BCS media talking heads are poo-pooing the Mountain West and WAC for signing the BCS agreement. They had no choice, other than to play I-AA. If you play D1 football and aren’t in the BCS, you are forced to take what scraps they give you right now. Hopefully Hatch will get this fixed. The problem right now is that he can’t get the other senators, even if they agree, to help him out. Even if they want to, they are afraid that they will be chastised for addressing THIS issue with the economy in shambles.

This. I think that is the leverage they will have to build around. I don’t know if it is truly breaking anti-trust laws. But they should be able to clearly establish that if you’re not in a BCS league, that not only is it much more difficult to win a championship, but on the legal side, it’s much more difficult to make as much revenue.

Hopefully it doesn’t result in a verdict to say, ok, instead of having a playoff, we’ll just say that anybody in a BCS league will not be considered DivI. Anybody not in BCS isno longer in DivI for football. Thus creating a BCS division that would supposedly have a “level playing field”.

What makes people think a tourney will not end up having a majority rule of BCS teams too? There are non-BCS schools bitching every year with the NCAA Tourney and their are 65 teams there.

[QUOTE]Every other division of NCAA football has a 16-team playoff, and includes an auto-bid from all the conferences that [B][U]meet the minimum requirements.[/U][/B][/QUOTE]

What would be minimum requirements? Mtn. West and WAC want in, I take it CUSA would too. What conferences wouldn’t make it? Or are you just stating how it works in NCAA D-1 AA

There are 11 D-1 conferences for NCAAF (I did not count Independents). So I take it 11 auto-bids would work w/5 at larges? Does atleast 1 Independent get a bid? I don’t think that should be a requirment myself.

I think it could work aslong as there are still bowl games for those not in the playoff. It brings in a ton of money for the NCAA, schools, and the cities and stadiums they are played in. I don’t think you’re advocating this though.

The ACC Commish
Everbody knows the ACC is the best confrence their never was in all sports. It has all the smartest fans to. The ACC is twiced as good as the SEC in football.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;418697]What makes people think a tourney will not end up having a majority rule of BCS teams too? There are non-BCS schools bitching every year with the NCAA Tourney and their are 65 teams there.

What would be minimum requirements? Mtn. West and WAC want in, I take it CUSA would too. What conferences wouldn’t make it? Or are you just stating how it works in NCAA D-1 AA

There are 11 D-1 conferences for NCAAF (I did not count Independents). So I take it 11 auto-bids would work w/5 at larges? Does atleast 1 Independent get a bid? I don’t think that should be a requirment myself.

I think it could work aslong as there are still bowl games for those not in the playoff. It brings in a ton of money for the NCAA, schools, and the cities and stadiums they are played in. I don’t think you’re advocating this though.[/QUOTE]

Bowl Games will quickly lose their luster. That’s why no one wants the playoffs. Too much money lost.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;418697]What makes people think a tourney will not end up having a majority rule of BCS teams too? There are non-BCS schools bitching every year with the NCAA Tourney and their are 65 teams there.[/QUOTE]

That’s true, but at least they will have a chance. Right now they have none. If Utah had been the only undefeated team last year I still don’t think they would have been playing for the title, and that ain’t right.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;418697]What would be minimum requirements? Mtn. West and WAC want in, I take it CUSA would too. What conferences wouldn’t make it? Or are you just stating how it works in NCAA D-1 AA

I think it could work aslong as there are still bowl games for those not in the playoff. It brings in a ton of money for the NCAA, schools, and the cities and stadiums they are played in. I don’t think you’re advocating this though.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of that except the independent teams only get in if they receive an at-large. The group of how many ever independent teams there are should not be guaranteed a bid. If they want a shot at an automatic, join a conference. The NCAA would have to decide what the minimum conference requirements for automatic bids were, also. Does the conference have to have 12 teams and a championship game to garner an automatic bid? Would conference championship games be done away with to give way to a playoff round. For I-AA, the conference has to have 6 teams and have been together for so many seasons to get an automatic bid.

Bowl games would be for the NIT teams, and have the same significance they now have: NONE.

I would love to see a 32-team playoff, but it may be just a dream. If you look at the list of quality teams plus the autobids after each season, you have a quality group even with that many teams. Check out my bracket from last season:

Only two first-round matchups that would be expected to be blowouts. Every other game should be pretty good. Oh, the TV money to be made from it.

I agree with all of that except the independent teams only get in if they receive an at-large. The group of how many ever independent teams there are should not be guaranteed a bid. If they want a shot at an automatic, join a conference. The NCAA would have to decide what the minimum conference requirements for automatic bids were, also. Does the conference have to have 12 teams and a championship game to garner an automatic bid? Would conference championship games be done away with to give way to a playoff round. For I-AA, the conference has to have 6 teams and have been together for so many seasons to get an automatic bid.

Bowl games would be for the NIT teams, and have the same significance they now have: NONE.

I would love to see a 32-team playoff, but it may be just a dream. If you look at the list of quality teams plus the autobids after each season, you have a quality group even with that many teams. Check out my bracket from last season:

Only two first-round matchups that would be expected to be blowouts. Every other game should be pretty good. Oh, the TV money to be made from it.

I was stating that I did not think Independent teams should get an auto-bid since they don’t belong to a conf. or even play amongst eachother as if they were. I just posed the question. You know ND would want some special stipulation in there for themselves… laughable.

What makes people think a tourney will not end up having a majority rule of BCS teams too? There are non-BCS schools bitching every year with the NCAA Tourney and their are 65 teams there.

I think it could work aslong as there are still bowl games for those not in the playoff. It brings in a ton of money for the NCAA, schools, and the cities and stadiums they are played in. I don’t think you’re advocating this though.

You’re right, there will still be complaints about who does and doesn’t get in. But as X mentioned it’s still better than the current format. And I think the point the Senator is trying to make legally is that the money sharing would be more equal.

If it’s limited to 16 I don’t think there would be any automatic bids.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;418728]I was stating that I did not think Independent teams should get an auto-bid since they don’t belong to a conf. or even play amongst eachother as if they were. I just posed the question. You know ND would want some special stipulation in there for themselves… laughable.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. I have a simple solution for them: join the Big 10. :doh:

Bowl Games will quickly lose their luster. That's why no one wants the playoffs. Too much money lost.
Tough ****. Business models fail all the time.

I’m not saying I don’t want a playoff, I’m saying there’s not gonna be a playoff.