Seth Davis' Thoughts On Withers

Said that Curtis is struggling in the common senior trap of trying to prove that he has perimeter skills to the scouts.

I thought this was an interesting thought. Not to say that Curt is a selfish player, but I have noticed he’s playing a little more face up. However part of me wonders if thats because he’s trying to see the double team and pass out of it. Lutz Livers may want to ask how we can get Withers to post lower to the block.

The same thing happened with him last year, before he snapped out of his funk after the Cincy loss. I think he attempted many more 3 pters last year than this year, at least it seems that way.

Lutz has said on many occasions that he just isn’t as comfortable getting the ball with his back to the basket. He likes getting it and facing the basket so he can take somebody off of the dribble or shoot over them. He has some flashes of terrific post moves, but he isn’t a great finisher around the basket (how many and 1’s has he actually gotten?) and almost anytime he puts the ball on the floor with his back to the basket it turns out badly for us.

I think Davis is wrong, I don’t know the stats but it really seems to me, like allie said, that he attempted many more 3’s last year. Curtis is going to be a great hustle rebounding guy in the NBA. Nobody is going to expect him to take people off of the dribble or even post people up. He will come off of the bench, fight for the ball and score off of his offensive rebounding hustle. I don’t think he is going to prove that he is an NBA SF or that he can dominate people with his back to the basket, and I don’t think that he has gone out of his way to attempt to prove that this season. He’s played well by hustling for us, he just can’t shake the double teams that he is getting because we don’t have Eddie or Plavich this year. He will never be doubled in the NBA on a regular basis, he will be fine as long as he gets the chance he deserves at the next level.

[QUOTE=CMack124;150911]Lutz has said on many occasions that he just isn’t as comfortable getting the ball with his back to the basket. He likes getting it and facing the basket so he can take somebody off of the dribble or shoot over them. He has some flashes of terrific post moves, but he isn’t a great finisher around the basket (how many and 1’s has he actually gotten?) and almost anytime he puts the ball on the floor with his back to the basket it turns out badly for us.

I think Davis is wrong, I don’t know the stats but it really seems to me, like allie said, that he attempted many more 3’s last year. Curtis is going to be a great hustle rebounding guy in the NBA. Nobody is going to expect him to take people off of the dribble or even post people up. He will come off of the bench, fight for the ball and score off of his offensive rebounding hustle. I don’t think he is going to prove that he is an NBA SF or that he can dominate people with his back to the basket, and I don’t think that he has gone out of his way to attempt to prove that this season. He’s played well by hustling for us, he just can’t shake the double teams that he is getting because we don’t have Eddie or Plavich this year. He will never be doubled in the NBA on a regular basis, he will be fine as long as he gets the chance he deserves at the next level.[/QUOTE]

word