Shaun Alexander and Panthers

I went to a lunch today that Shaun Alexander spoke at. I asked him if the Panthers were on his list. His response surprised me. The manner and tone he resonded in made me think there is a strong possibility. He said that they are on his list and his agent is looking into it.
If we go O-Line and D-Line in the draft he could be a good pick up for us.

I went to a lunch today that Shaun Alexander spoke at. I asked him if the Panthers were on his list. His response surprised me. The manner and tone he resonded in made me think there is a strong possibility. He said that they are on his list and his agent is looking into it. If we go O-Line and D-Line in the draft he could be a good pick up for us.

I am about 80% sure the panthers will sign him. He’ll be cheap. And it seems like the Panthers have a history of signing a guy like this at this point in his career. I think he might have a little bit left in the tank if he can stay healthy. He’d be good to have in the red zone.

i thought the panthers performed best when they had a power running back? so why have to dancers?

i thought the panthers performed best when they had a power running back? so why have to dancers?

Well, Alexander is a power back.

Panthers were at their best with a power running game and a solid defense. How old is Alexander though? And how is the knee?

He’s got very little left.He’s now a tiptoe runner lacking any speed.Would be a bad pickup.

Put a fork in him - he is done.

He’s done.

Unless the Panthers plan on signing Steve Hutchinson & Walter Jones then I wouldn’t pick him up.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;316517]Unless the Panthers plan on signing Steve Hutchinson & Walter Jones then I wouldn’t pick him up.[/QUOTE]

pacman? haha cowboys are desperate for more suspensions.

People were saying the same thing about Jamaal Lewis. He has really helped out the Browns. Alexander and Williams together could provide a punch like Davis and Foster did. Foster did not fare well at all as an every down back, and I am concerned that Williams is the same.

Alexander owes a lot of his success to Mack Strong. He had one of the best lead blocking FB’s in the league. Once he retired Shaun was done. Hoover is no Mack Strong

Well, Alexander is a power back.

Yea when he’s running behind the best O-Line the league (his MVP year) now he’s a gun-shy runner afraid of contact b/c his body can’t take it.
-Bad signing for any team.

Do good runners exist in the NFL withouth adequate blocking? For that matter do good quarterbacks?

These are dumb points. We are talking about a former League MVP who had 27 touchdowns in a season. You can’t just write that off to a good line and fullback. They are certainly big contributors, but this guy has talent.

I think he has another season or two left in him. See Jamal Lewis and he could work for us like Stephen Davis did.

Take an O or D line and go with Alexander to shore up the backfield with Williams.

As I am typing all of this, I am beginning to wonder does this even matter. With Fox at the healm we will continue to see dives on 3rd and long, no creativity, trying to run Deangelo almost solely through the tackles, and of course the infatuation with the punt not being a bad play.

Do good runners exist in the NFL withouth adequate blocking? For that matter do good quarterbacks?

These are dumb points. We are talking about a former League MVP who had 27 touchdowns in a season. You can’t just write that off to a good line and fullback. They are certainly big contributors, but this guy has talent.

I think he has another season or two left in him. See Jamal Lewis and he could work for us like Stephen Davis did.

Take an O or D line and go with Alexander to shore up the backfield with Williams.

First of all, thank you for calling my point “dumb.” It doesn’t appear that you countered it with anything original or intelligent so I don’t feel too bad about your opinion.

Second, this guy HAD talent. Nobody questions that. But he’s breaking down and going to demand more than he is worth all because he is a FORMER MVP. Being good 2 years ago doesn’t cut it anymore. He hasn’t put up 1000 yards the past two years. What’s so special about that? Even Deshaun Foster had better #'s than Alexander did last year.

RB is the easiest position to replace in the NFL if you have good blocking. Take last year for example. If you played fantasy football then you know that tons of RB got playing time due to injury. Some guy who was 3rd string at the begining of the year could finish the end of the year starting, and putting up just as impressive #'s as the feature back was expected to. Remember Earnest Graham, Ryan Grant, Kenny Watson?

Draft a young durable power back and move on. I’m tired of the Panther’s consistently buying players who are hanging around on reputation rather than ability. I’d rather have a future Shaun Alexander than an old one.

Or Stewart!

Draft OT!

pacman? haha cowboys are desperate for more suspensions.

walter jones is one of the league’s best offensive linemen. pacman’s first name is adam. there’s no doubt that alexander’s most successful season was highly attributed to his offensive line. however, he’s still produced good numbers. i don’t think he’s as good as his MVP year would imply but he’s solid and that might be a solid one two punch. if they do make this move i think it’s almost necessary to draft a young RB in a later round as alexander definitely doesn’t have much left.

[QUOTE=ninerball49;316576]walter jones is one of the league’s best offensive linemen. pacman’s first name is adam. there’s no doubt that alexander’s most successful season was highly attributed to his offensive line. however, he’s still produced good numbers. i don’t think he’s as good as his MVP year would imply but he’s solid and that might be a solid one two punch. if they do make this move i think it’s almost necessary to draft a young RB in a later round as alexander definitely doesn’t have much left.[/QUOTE]

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/newstest.aspx?id=4146649

just so there is clarification i was talking about pacman shane.