SI/Cnn.com Bracket (Mandel)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ…ex.html?cnn=yes

Highlights (or should I say, lowlights):

• BC, Illinois, KU and UNC are #1 seeds
  • Gonzaga a four, Cincy is a 5
  • Maryland, Texas and Minnesota are 7’s ???
  • Ga. Tech is an 8 (so are the 49ers)

"After beating Cincinnati, the 49ers could be in position to start moving up the ladder soon."
He has us facing St. Mary’s (and then Kansas) in the first round.

I agree with all of that as of right now.

Maryland at 13-7 as a #7 Seed, I should drop an application by SI, they obviously don’t drug test there…

There is no doubt in my mind an ACC team that is 13-7 and beat Duke at Duke would be a #7 seed. No question about it. That’s reality.

At this point it seems that the two most important pieces of what seed we will be is, as follows:

o Making it too Championship game of tourney (remember more teams end the season on low notes than high notes, that includes 4 and 5 seeds).
o Beating the Cards

These two will have more impact on our seed then even losing a couple of more games.

Who has Wichita State beaten? No way the Shockers are a 7 seed. Just keep winning, and the 9ers can avoid that 8/9 game. We could give Kansas a good game. Treat Simien like he’s Maxiel.

The year we stop losing to teams like easy U and St. Louis will be the year we are a higher seed than 8/9. Get used to it.

<<<There is no doubt in my mind an ACC team that is 13-7 and beat Duke at Duke would be a #7 seed. No question about it. That’s reality.

I disagree with this, they lost to State at home and gotten waxed everywhere they’ve played except College Park and Durham. They play sloppy and unorganized ball. Think of them beating Duke, the same as Rutgers beating us.

Tintin

[b]I disagree with this, they lost to State at home and gotten waxed everywhere they've played except College Park and Durham. They play sloppy and unorganized ball. Think of them beating Duke, the same as Rutgers beating us.

Tintin [/b]

I wholeheartedly agree. That being said, if the season ended today I think Maryland would be a #7 seed.

[i]Originally posted by 49er1[/i]@Feb 8 2005, 12:29 PM [b] The year we stop losing to teams like easy U and St. Louis will be the year we are a higher seed than 8/9. Get used to it. [/b]
Sadly, I agree. It's the little hiccups along the way that force into that 8/9 matchup each year. We have to take care of business tomorrow AND Saturday. No reason in the world we should continue the losing streak in Saint Louis this go-round.
[i]Originally posted by Florida49er[/i]@Feb 8 2005, 09:24 AM [b] Highlights (or should I say, lowlights):
  • BC, Illinois, KU and UNC are #1 seeds
  • Gonzaga a four, Cincy is a 5
  • Maryland, Texas and Minnesota are 7’s ???
  • Ga. Tech is an 8 (so are the 49ers)

“After beating Cincinnati, the 49ers could be in position to start moving up the ladder soon.”
He has us facing St. Mary’s (and then Kansas) in the first round. [/b]

Call me Meatwad, 'cuz I gots the foresight.

Texas may not even make the NCAAs at this rate…

Got to agree, as proven last night I don’t think BC will be a number one and at this rate maryland shouldn’t even make the tournament, 9 seed at best. Gonzaga may be a media darling but they have fallen apart as of late, I think they get bored with their crappy conference.

OH MAN THOSE TRICKY HOLY CROSS CRUSADERS… JUST AWESOME

[b]I agree with all of that as of right now.

[/b]

I did say “as of right now” yesterday. Obviously, things are always changing.