Sign in front of the school

I’m putting this here because I figured it was the best place to go.

If we’re not gonna get rid of this sign anytime soon can we at least replace the freaking bulbs in it?? And clean some of that mold off thats in there while your at it. Seriously, it looked bad enough fully lit let’s not make it worse. THIS IS THE MAIN ENTRANCE PEOPLE, THIS IS THE FIRST THING PEOPLE SEE WHEN COMING INTO THE SCHOOL!!!

Thoughts?

My favorite part about the bulbs being out is that it blacks out the word “Charlotte”.

Now Dubois really is the Chancellor of “The University of North Carol…”.

AH! Sorry Phil, you got close to living your dream though!:tool:

Last I heard, the front entrance gets revamped starting this spring.

Spring… that’s cool. For some reason, I thought it was going to be Summer.

Yea that sign is rediculous, but I don’t mind it so much because I know the HUGE renovation of the front entrance is coming soon.

Only thing I could find of it so far…
Chancellor’s Letter to Faculty (12/8/07)

Finally, we will break ground on the long-awaited re-location of the campus entrance in early summer 2007. As we look forward to our continued growth as a research university, we simply must have an entrance that speaks not only to our status as an institution, but also more safely and effectively manages the traffic to and from campus each day. Located about 750 feet south of the existing entrance on University City Boulevard (Highway 49), the new entrance will be marked by a distinctive new sign featuring a 30-foot tall brick pylon. An attractive, landscaped two-lane divided road (with bicycle lanes) will lead to a roundabout routing traffic. A new traffic signal at the entrance, combined with turning lanes into and away from the campus, will facilitate traffic flow and pedestrian safety. Eventually, we hope to add eight additional 20-foot tall brick pylons along Highway 49 to signal the arrival of faculty, staff, students, and visitors at UNC Charlotte. The first phase of the project is funded, in part, by a generous donation from The Dickson Foundation, Inc. and Harris Teeter, Inc. In the future, you’ll be able to have your friends meet you at “Dickson Gate” at the entrance to the University.

For those interested in what the preliminary plan for the new entrance is:
Arial depiction
Architechtual Rendering
*These are from the Master Plan pruposed by Chancellor Woodward. A new plan has not been approved by Dubois yet. And i know many things in this rendering have been already been rejected by Dubois.

[QUOTE=49or bust;211924]Yea that sign is rediculous, but I don’t mind it so much because I know the HUGE renovation of the front entrance is coming soon.[/QUOTE]
Not long ago…

“Man, I can’t believe that sign is STILL there. It was ugly when I was in school.”
~My dad (Class of 1977)

Finally, we continue work on the design of a new front entrance to the campus at University City Boulevard (Highway 49), about 750 feet south of the current entrance.
The old entrance will remain

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;211923]Spring… that’s cool. For some reason, I thought it was going to be Summer.[/QUOTE]
You are correct ATL. I posted a letter from the Chancellor above which describes the project.

Key word bolded. We havent paid for this yet, so no guaranty this part will happen. We might just get stuck with a big 30 foot entrance.

Dickson?? Oh how unfortunate.

So many jokes… brain overloading… ARGH!

LOL, so you friends can meet you at Dickson gate on your way to the SAC… :lmao:

Obligatory Belk Tower joke.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;211954]Obligatory Belk Tower joke.[/QUOTE]

Dammit!

New piece in the Observer about the front entrance…
[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/274/story/154335.html]http://www.charlotte.com/274/story/154335.html[/URL]

Construction to begin in a month.

One thing sort of bites: Construction done in two phases. 1. The entrance, 2. The cool columns. I could see the columns being put off due to funding issues… IMO. It’s happened before with the entire entrance.

Glad to see it’s definitely moving forward however.

“As the entrance stands now, the signage looks like it announces one’s arrival at a strip mall,” Chancellor Philip Dubois said

That says it all, thank god that is recognized. Welcome to charlotte, home of halton arena and big lots.

[QUOTE=DownwithNBA;242647]“As the entrance stands now, the signage looks like it announces one’s arrival at a strip mall,” Chancellor Philip Dubois said

That says it all, thank god that is recognized. Welcome to charlotte, home of halton arena and big lots.[/QUOTE]
:clap: I’m glad that it was recognized and addressed.

Slightly off topic, but it is nice to see the University having an impact on the area surrounding it. Recently a new strip center opened off University Blvd near I-485 named the 49er Center. The logo on their sign is green and is the one that our teams used prior to the new C-pick. Just beyond that a new apartment complex just opened and it is named Halton Park.

just opened and it is named Halton Park.
I don't know that that's related.

[QUOTE=Nugget;242662]Slightly off topic, but it is nice to see the University having an impact on the area surrounding it. Recently a new strip center opened off University Blvd near I-485 named the 49er Center. The logo on their sign is green and is the one that our teams used prior to the new C-pick. Just beyond that a new apartment complex just opened and it is named Halton Park.[/QUOTE]

maybe we can donate the old sign, burnt out lights and all, for nostalgia

maybe we can donate the old sign, burnt out lights and all, for nostalgia

Please no!!! Just throw it into a black hole somewhere… and let’s all repress its memory!