Sleeper Picks

Who are your sleeper picks for this season?

townson

clemson…haha just kididng

I can’t believe I’m calling them a sleeper:

The Pennsylvania State University

I’m talking about FF picks… this is the fantasy forum

soorrrrrrrrrryy…i stll like townson though

FIRST OF ALL

Know your leagues rules. These are general picks and can vary from league to league. However if you must know my picks.

If you can snag Shaun Alexander late due to his contract dispute go for it. They will get things resolved.

Julius Jones should have a big year as should Kevin Jones of the Lions. He came on strong at the end of last year, a time when most rookies wear down. Roy Williams, Charlie Rogers and Mike Williams will make teams worry about the vertical aspect leaving Mr. Kevin Jones to run amuck. Also watch the training camp battle between Travis Henry and Chris Brown. Both are 1000 yard rushers and if you can handcuff one to the other do so.

At QB I would say that Tom Brady still won’t get the credit he deserves. Too many GM’s think of him as a winner but not someone who puts up stats. He puts up very good numbers for a QB who probably won’t be one of the top 5 (Vick, McNabb, Manning, Culpepper will probably all go ahead of him). Carson Palmer could also be a good QB as could Chad Pennington.

At TE I think Ben Watson could be this year’s Antonio Gates. Big, Strong, Fast with great hands.

nevermind

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Jul 21 2005, 05:39 PM [b] FIRST OF ALL

Know your leagues rules. These are general picks and can vary from league to league. However if you must know my picks.

If you can snag Shaun Alexander late due to his contract dispute go for it. They will get things resolved.

Julius Jones should have a big year as should Kevin Jones of the Lions. He came on strong at the end of last year, a time when most rookies wear down. Roy Williams, Charlie Rogers and Mike Williams will make teams worry about the vertical aspect leaving Mr. Kevin Jones to run amuck. Also watch the training camp battle between Travis Henry and Chris Brown. Both are 1000 yard rushers and if you can handcuff one to the other do so.

At QB I would say that Tom Brady still won’t get the credit he deserves. Too many GM’s think of him as a winner but not someone who puts up stats. He puts up very good numbers for a QB who probably won’t be one of the top 5 (Vick, McNabb, Manning, Culpepper will probably all go ahead of him). Carson Palmer could also be a good QB as could Chad Pennington.

At TE I think Ben Watson could be this year’s Antonio Gates. Big, Strong, Fast with great hands. [/b]

the only sleeper mentioned in that post was Ben Watson. If SA is available anytime after 1.02, I’ld definately take him. Also, I’m going to stay away from Brown/Henry. TEN is going to be worse this year than they were last. Especially now with no garuntee about who will be RB1 come the start of the season, plus the possibility of RBBC (handcuffing = wasted pick), plus a bad offense = bad situation. Also FWIW, Vick won’t be a top5 QB, he’s another stay away pick (imo).

That said, check out:
QB: Warner (good receiving core, and a solid rookie RB), Harrington (if he can’t do it with the receiving+WR core he has this year, he might wanna practice up being the bag boy at the local supermarket). Farve also seems to fall farther than he should (at least thats been the case the last 2-3 seasons).
RB: Suggs (not a true sleeper, but usually available even after some RB2s are already), Shelton (if Foster goes down, likely?, someone will have to pickup the slack… and given he’ll probably be the RB1 next year, they’ll probably wanna check him out). R.Williams (if he’s falling he might be a valuepick depending on how you feel about him, and when your draft is).
WR: Boldin/Smith (not really sleepers, but WR’s comming back from injury usually seem to fall farther than they should). A real deep sleeper: Lloyd (WR1 who will be there late, but then again he is on the worst team).
TE: Johnson (SF TE caught a ton of balls last year, in a pt/rec league a goldmine).

In reality “sleepers” are generally players on mediocre/bad teams who don’t pan out but have the possibility of making themselves into a fantasy starter. Its just about getting lucky. Another “get lucky” pick are backup RBs. They are an injury away from being RB1s for their team. Shelton, DenRB2 (whoever is backing up Bell), Johnson, Faulk/Jackson are who i’ld look at there if you’re needing to fill in spots late in the draft.

Whatever you do, don’t reach for a sleeper. Its a surefire way to set yourself in a losing predicament.

[b]Whatever you do, don't reach for a sleeper. Its a surefire way to set yourself in a losing predicament.[/b]

Amen…

I like my sleepers to be in hindsight, not foresight. I’d much rather take a chance on a proving commodity than gamble on potential when it comes to a fantasy league. The best sleepers are the ones you never intended to be sleepers but got late in the draft due to a lack of interest. I snagged Curtis Martin last year because of that which couldn’t have worked out any better but I had no clue he’d bounce back with that kind of year.

With that said, I like Lamont Jordan a lot this year, Julius Jones, Palmer and some others. But each of those guys has already shown flashes of solid production so I don’t feel I’d be taking too much of a chance on them. But Anborn’s last comment couldn’t be more true in fantasy football.