So Proud!!!!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/12/12/2844870/charlotte-49ers-return-8-starters.html

I’m disappointed that we didn’t draw the penalty. It would have been the right call. I’m not going to try to take anything away from the victors though. That goal of theirs was beautiful. Shame we didn’t have a fair chance to equalize it. That’s not their fault though.

And for the first time in his 39 years alive, jcl49er watched 2 complete soccer games. I watched more soccer in 2 games this weekend than I have cumulatively my entire life, including highlights and the Olympics. If I didn’t have to be at work today, I would have even considered riding down to Bama with a friend yesterday who made the trip on a last minute impulse.

Our entire program deserves more credit than it gets when you look at what all we’re accomplishing with soccer, golf, baseball, track/field, etc. Those may not be “money” sports like football and basketball are but we are really starting to develop our entire athletics program into national prominence.

I know there are some Judy haters here and I’ve been very critical at times but IMO, she has done a great job. Football is on the horizon, our basketball team appears to be getting back on track and the rest I mentioned above. My years of apathy over a struggling basketball program are starting to be replaced by a renewed sense of pride and enthusiasm. It’s a good time to be a 49er!

And yes, we got screwed on that no-call foul, completely dominated the entire game and lost to a team we were clearly superior to yesterday but I’m still thrilled to have made it that far and we showed everyone that we can play with the soccer elites.

Our fans dominated. They should get the Fan Championship. Did anyone even HEAR a Tar Hole fan once in 90 minutes? I saw a guy & two kids waving their arms when we were trying to score at the end, but I couldn’t hear them.

It was funny when they showed UNC-CH players celebrating on the field, but you heard FORTY-NINER chants, & they broke away to our team coming to our section of a million fans. Then they showed UNC-CH go to their parents, no fans, students, alums, etc. And even their parents sucked. I saw 4-5 parents for 20 guys. WTF? Even their own families hate them.

I felt sorry for the CH guys winning in vain, with their own families abandoning them. :))

Exacty. I wore my Charlotte shirt around town yesterday and got several stares and “good lucks”. That’s never happened before. Made me feel proud to be a Niner. Still sucks we lost and sucks even more who we lost to, but screw it, I’m still proud of the team and our school.

Exacty. I wore my Charlotte shirt around town yesterday and got several stares and “good lucks”. That’s never happened before. Made me feel proud to be a Niner. Still sucks we lost and sucks even more who we lost to, but screw it, I’m still proud of the team and our school.[/quote]

It’s a loss that hurts but it’s one of the few losses where I truly felt we left it all out on the field. A couple of calls go our way maybe we’re having a different discussion. That’s the nature of sports though. Still lots to be proud of. Kudos to everyone who made the trip, sounded AWESOME on the tube.

Really proud of our team and tremendous fan support ;D Yesterday was certainly a great day to be a Niner despite the loss. Wished I could have been in Alabama but it was amazing to hear the Tarheels celebration being drowned out by chants for the 49ers.

Really proud of our team and tremendous fan support ;D Yesterday was certainly a great day to be a Niner despite the loss. Wished I could have been in Alabama but it was amazing to hear the Tarheels celebration being drowned out by chants for the 49ers.

This type of game is one of the reasons soccer is equally frustrating and fantastic at the same time. The better team can dominate the game for 90% of the time, but an individual piece of brillance can make it all for naught. That was a fantastic goal.

What a great showing by the niners. They were without a doubt the better team out there yesterday. They left it all on the field and caught a few bad breaks ( I thought two pks could have been awarded imo). What a great weekend to be a niner!

Our fans drowning out their celebration was absolutely awesome. I think there’s an 80’s sports movie in there somewhere.

BTW -
[font=arial]http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/12/charlotte_leaves_college_cup_a.html[/font] [font=arial]If that’s already been posted, I apologize, but it’s good enough for a 2nd mention.[/font]

Where can I get a replica soccer jersey? Do they sell 'em now, or are they making them (if not they should be)?

Finally able to gather a few thoughts after yesterday. Haven’t read any of this thread.

I can’t decide whether I’m more proud of our soccer team or our fans yesterday. I drove down for the game and simply put, IT WAS THE GREATEST ATMOSPHERE FOR A NINER EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE. Our fans brought it yesterday. Our fans showed how much we yearn for a winner. We dominated the parking lot tailgating, we dominated the stands with chants and cheers.

And our boys dominated on the field. They left everything they had out there. Our soccer team proved what I’ve been saying for years, WINNING WILL LIGHT A FIRE UNDER THE NINER NATION FANBASE. Never a soccer fan, but I am now.

Whatever it takes is what we need to give Jeremy Gunn! Whatever it takes! We can not afford to let him get away. Pay that man whatever he wants! Give him a new car! Give him a plane! Give him a home in Bermuda! Give him 20 wives! Whatever he wants, we need to give him!

N1NER, I say NO to your 20 WIVES suggestion. He will be so stressed out he won’t be able to coach soccer.

[quote=“N1NER, post:32, topic:26020”]Finally able to gather a few thoughts after yesterday. Haven’t read any of this thread.

I can’t decide whether I’m more proud of our soccer team or our fans yesterday. I drove down for the game and simply put, IT WAS THE GREATEST ATMOSPHERE FOR A NINER EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE. Our fans brought it yesterday. Our fans showed how much we yearn for a winner. We dominated the parking lot tailgating, we dominated the stands with chants and cheers.

And our boys dominated on the field. They left everything they had out there. Our soccer team proved what I’ve been saying for years, WINNING WILL LIGHT A FIRE UNDER THE NINER NATION FANBASE. Never a soccer fan, but I am now.

Whatever it takes is what we need to give Jeremy Gunn! Whatever it takes! We can not afford to let him get away. Pay that man whatever he wants! Give him a new car! Give him a plane! Give him a home in Bermuda! Give him 20 wives! Whatever he wants, we need to give him![/quote]

I agree. Imagine the possibilities for matches where students can just walk or drive to the game rather than loading onto buses…

…and where students, alumni, and the community alike know all of the songs and cheers and can stay on the same page.

Ideas are swimming in my head. I’m working on them. For now… go Hoops!

I never thought in a million years I’d be excited about soccer. Now here I sit excited as hell for next season to start! GO NINERS!!

And for the first time in his 39 years alive, jcl49er watched 2 complete soccer games. I watched more soccer in 2 games this weekend than I have cumulatively my entire life, including highlights and the Olympics. If I didn’t have to be at work today, I would have even considered riding down to Bama with a friend yesterday who made the trip on a last minute impulse.

Our entire program deserves more credit than it gets when you look at what all we’re accomplishing with soccer, golf, baseball, track/field, etc. Those may not be “money” sports like football and basketball are but we are really starting to develop our entire athletics program into national prominence.

I know there are some Judy haters here and I’ve been very critical at times but IMO, she has done a great job. Football is on the horizon, our basketball team appears to be getting back on track and the rest I mentioned above. My years of apathy over a struggling basketball program are starting to be replaced by a renewed sense of pride and enthusiasm. It’s a good time to be a 49er!

And yes, we got screwed on that no-call foul, completely dominated the entire game and lost to a team we were clearly superior to yesterday but I’m still thrilled to have made it that far and we showed everyone that we can play with the soccer elites.[/quote]

THIS!! First 2 complete soccer games I have watched as well, and I was screaming and yelling at my TV as if I were in Halton watching us vs. Cincy back in the day. You are so right about Judy…the facts are speaking for themselves. We own the A10 in baseball and golf and we’re great in track/field. The only missing piece is basketball, but I don’t believe it will be that much longer before we’re seeing posteason play there as well.

The biggest thing I took from yesterday is that our team, and especially our FANS!!, showed the nation and Carolina that not only did we belong and deserve to be in that final game, but that in fact we were the BETTER team on that field yesterday. Even the announcers on TV had to admit as much until that amazing goal that did us in.

I have always been proud to be a 49er, but this is the proudest I have ever been. I know that won’t last for long though, because there will be future achievements that will make me even prouder than I am today!!!

I read in the Observer article that there is no waiting period for transfers in soccer. I wonder if what we showed yesterday with our team and with our fan support will pay dividends immediately. I hope that players across the region saw that game and thought " I wanna go play for Charlotte".

I love that the disturber finally claims us.

Easy there, I wouldn’t go anywhere near claiming that.

The article and headline I saw in the Disturber showed a Charlotte slant. It didn’t say the Heels won…it said the Niners fell short. Basically taking the position of the Niners.

First time I have ever seen that…ever…from the Disturber. Especially when the other team is the beloved Heels.

Things may be a changing!!!